Not Guilty...........Volodymyr Zhukovskyy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Guilty...........Volodymyr Zhukovskyy

I remember the outrage directed towards this kid back in 2019. The scene was absolutely horrific and everything seemed to add up to negligence on the truck driver.

Having not followed the trial, the headline was a quite shocking to me. But after a quick read of the facts, it seems like the Jarheads shouldn't have been on the road or at least their leader shouldn't been.

Sad deal all around:

Volodymyr Zhukovskyy was charged with negligent homicide, manslaughter and reckless operation after allegedly causing a 2019, crash in New Hampshire that killed seven motorcyclists.

Wow, something about that doesn't make sense. I am sure we will hear more about this. It says there were witnesses that the truck crossed the centerline. Watch this space.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

A bit more information in this article, including that the defendant is now in the custody of ICE.

From what I have gathered, it seems that the lead rider was veering towards the defendant and he swerved towards the other bikes in an attempt to avoid the accident.

The defendants past and even earlier that day show less than legal actions. However, rider under the influence is a recipe for this result.

A jury on Tuesday acquitted a commercial truck driver of causing the deaths of seven motorcyclists in a horrific head-on collision in northern New Hampshire that exposed fatal flaws in the processing of license revocations across states. Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, 26, of West Springfield, Massachusetts, was found innocent on seven counts of manslaughter, seven counts of negligent homicide and one count of reckless conduct in connection with the June 21, 2019, crash in Randolph. Jurors deliberated for less than three hours after a two-week trial during which prosecutors argued that Zhukovskyy — who had taken heroin, fentanyl and cocaine earlier on the day of the crash — repeatedly swerved back and forth before the collision and told police he caused it.

Comment

Hmm... Lead rider over-cooked the bend, ran wide, impacted truck and the following riders, who were already committed to the turn at too high a speed, were right in the path of the truck.
        Just a supposition, which is likely the scenario the defence presented.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Don’t drink and ride. Simple
          No signature

Comment

I've been on two juries for violent crime where the perps were obviously guilty. One (I was alternate) was clearly nullification due to sympathy for grandpa who shot his meth head granddaughter, who had confined him to his room in his own house due to shady characters in his house partying and raising hell. But he was clearly the one that should have walked away and not resorted to gunfire. He escalated out of built up rage, the attorney worked that angle but he clearly should have just called the police...again, and stayed away.

The other was a bunch of 18-19 year olds in a cheap no-tell motel that thumped a guy for his welfare check. The cops couldn't prove the case, they just rounded up the usual suspects and botched the prosecutor's case.

What I got out of is how badly I wanted a shower after being exposed to these people, and that the system sorta worked in once case, but sorta didn't in the other case. I felt worse watching gangster thugs go free when the system worked, but it was the law as it should be applied. I felt sorta mixed feelings when gramps got off scott free, I mean I got it, but from a law perspective it was a slam shut case against him, and to have a proper system of law we need to rely on logic not emotion or the system crumbles. That's tough for many. Our system's the worst in the world except for all the others comes to mind.
            Last edited by oldGSfan; 08-11-2022, 12:18 AM.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I'm really surprised by this outcome.

Considering the guy admitted fault at the time of the accident, had drugs and alcohol in his system as well as driving while disqualified, crazy that he is found not guilty on all counts.

Seems the jury must of had some pretty compelling testimony that swayed their opinion enough to find him not guilty.

I've always considered riding in groups to have inherent risk but also can mitigate some risk by being more visible as a group.

I encountered a similar situation as those riders did while on a trip to the Yukon in 2019, we were two up fully loaded with my 14 year old son, I had a vehicle cross the center line and come straight at me on a long sweeping left hand curve.

If I was in a group some of us would have not made the corner, but being solo I was able to use the shoulder to get by dirt tracking the gravel until it was clear to get back on the asphalt, at 120KPH no time to think, just focus on managing the gap and staying on the gravel and not baling off into the weeds, that would not have ended well.

Certainly the closest call I've had riding, but being alert and in good physical condition I was able to avoid what would have been a trip ending situation, maybe worse.

BTW I am 100% committed to never mixing booze with riding, but many others I ride with don't seem to mind having a beer or two on a ride, I find it's exciting enough without adding impairment.

Can't imagine the scene that followed that terrible accident, just witnessing something like that would be hard to live with.

David.

2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
              2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
              1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
              2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
              1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
              1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
              1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
              Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

I'm also surprised at the outcome. Not saying it's wrong from a legal standpoint, but just surprised based on Zhukovskyy's impaired condition and past history. I guess it's easy to second guess, as people that didn't sit in the jury box and didn't see all the evidence. Any way you see it, it's a tragedy.

I have more experience with group riding on bicycles, than on motorcycles. And sometimes "group think" takes over, and not in a good way. It's almost like mob mentality, where the group takes control of the road, laws be damned. Again, not saying anything like this happened here, it's just that I'm not a fan of large group riding because people sometimes stop thinking, instead of thinking for themselves and making sure they are safe.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  I'm also surprised at the outcome. Not saying it's wrong from a legal standpoint, but just surprised based on Zhukovskyy's impaired condition and past history. I guess it's easy to second guess, as people that didn't sit in the jury box and didn't see all the evidence. Any way you see it, it's a tragedy.

I have more experience with group riding on bicycles, than on motorcycles. And sometimes "group think" takes over, and not in a good way. It's almost like mob mentality, where the group takes control of the road, laws be damned. Again, not saying anything like this happened here, it's just that I'm not a fan of large group riding because people sometimes stop thinking, instead of thinking for themselves and making sure they are safe.
                  You are absolutely correct with regard to the group mentality of bikers taking control of the road in a lawless manner. I am in New Hampshire a lot and see it all the time there. In fact, I now avoid the place during the annual Laconia Bike Week, 5 dead and many more serious injuries this year.

Like you, I am not saying this was the case here, I would say the alcohol was the largest contributing factor.

Comment

Working...
                  X