Rocket lanch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocket lanch

Going back to the moon. And by 2025....crew landing on the moon.

Standing 322 ft. high, SLS will be the most powerful rocket in the world to launch since NASA’s final Saturn V “Moon rocket” took the Skylab space station into Earth orbit in 1973.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamieca...h=1382268a6305

It's exciting, but as someone who watched every Mercury, Gemini and Apollo mission, I still feel very ripped off and angry. Before political and economic factors killed our manned missions, we were on target to land a man on Mars before 1980.

I'm also *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed every time I think of our whole Shuttle program. The three Apollo astronauts who died on the launch pad died for a reason: a manned moon landing. The Shuttle flyers died for nothing. Low earth orbit?!?! Been there, done that.

Being an astronaut implies exploring, and that entails going where no one has gone before. There have been no astronauts since Apollo. Can you tell I'm angry?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I've rarely read a more uninformed string of drivel.
      cant really tell if you're angry but there's a long list of other modalities brought to mind by the nonsense you just spewed.

Men on Mars by 1980? 4 years after Viking????
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I know a little about history of 1960's and early seventies missions, must have been kinda exciting .

I expect these missions to halt for some reason?

I've heard people say that space missions are a waste of time and money, when so much stuff is going on.

I'll be watching this, even if this first one is unmanned still be cool to see.

Last edited by trent; 08-29-2022, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Launch is scrubbed for at least 4 days.

Last edited by Rob S.; 08-29-2022, 11:12 AM.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

At 8:35 am. this morning, They realized they had scheduled a rocket "lanch", instead of a "launch" realizing their mistake they rescheduled for a "launch" at the soonest available opening, Sept. 2, 2022 or possibly Sept. 5, 2022. Keeping our fingers crossed.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Plans for manned Mars missions were being worked on before 1968. Look in the 1968 World Book encyclopedia for images of how NASA pictured it happening.

They planned on extending a boom from the service module and spinning the whole ship to create artificial gravity.

Some estimates were that we could be there by 1975.

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post
                I know a little about history of 1960's and early seventies missions, must have been kinda exciting.
                VERY exciting. Especially the Gemini missions. Every mission was to test and prove a skill that was needed to land on the moon. Docking. Space walking.

Comment

NASA Artemis-1 press conferences and promo talks, really boring …

Amazing how many different sources and repetitious update videos are produced lately. How tedious the press talks are with their lengthy promo speeches, followed by member introductions, each doing their own promo intro and finally speaking to the issue.
                  Also endless sharing of feelings and happy talk from minions in uniform polo shirts. Just like cheesy happy talk corporate videos.
                  Not surprising because this is a government project payed for by taxpayers, NASA has to constantly sell their projects to politicians and taxpayers.

They are playing very close to the worst thing that could happen.
                  This rocket has not been flight tested.
                  If it works this time, they've booked people on the 2nd flight.
                  If the rocket explodes, that will probably kill the mission program.
                  Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 08-31-2022, 08:59 AM.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

What was the reason why all the engines weren't properly tested to run up?
                    I got a kind of mumblemumble answer to that question.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      What was the reason why all the engines weren't properly tested to run up?
                      I got a kind of mumblemumble answer to that question.
                      High cost of gas (needs premium).

Comment

Scrubbed again! Glad It's unmanned.

Comment

I heard last weeks problem was a faulty sensor that sensed the fuel temp. Today it was a pretty bad fuel leak. A manmade machine, this complex, with this many parts, it's always amazed me how they don't have way more problems than they do.
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

When next attempted lanch?

Comment

It reminds me of Moto Guzzi's factory testing - the customer does it.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X