It has begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has begun

I mentioned some time ago that I lost my motorcycle and wood shop when my friend took a job promotion. Well, last week I finally started work on making a new garage for myself next to the house. My son-in-law, Charmayne's fiance, is helping me build out this 10x20 garage that will house both bikes and my tools. I tore down the old storage shed last week (talk about a buttload of work there alone) and then he and I built out the form for the concrete slab we will pour on Friday.

Old Shed
    IMG_6722 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Demo in Progress
    IMG_6752 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

IMG_6755 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

All cleaned up and waiting on OUPS to mark out the utilities
    68316163243__4EF6EBB0-D267-4984-9E81-392746ECE239 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

After an extremely hot/muggy weekend where it really did feel like we died, we are now ready for the concrete:

IMG_4999 by Scott Baker, on Flickr
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Ready for the concrete??? I hope you wake up before they start pouring.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      Ready for the concrete??? I hope you wake up before they start pouring.
      LOL, right?.........
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Looks like a Cement Siesta?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Ha Ha, thanks. Fortunately we woke up in the nick of time as the cement truck showed up a few minutes after 8 this morning. Many thanks to the driver as he saw we were going to have problems and volunteered to help out (yes, we thanked him properly for it as well).

Picked up a concrete buggy yesterday using the wife's car as my truck had to go into the shop and have its Injector Pressure Regulator replaced

IMG_6780 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Then off we went

IMG_6781 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

IMG_6784 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

I let Joe have all of the fun as I know absolutely nothing about concrete work except how to ruin it

IMG_6785 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

And it's done.

IMG_6786 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Joe removed the forms, cut two expansion joints, and covered it with a wet tarp for the evening. We'll start on the framing this weekend and finish the pathway in the next couple of weeks

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Maybe im missing it but i dont see any J hooks. Best to set them in the wet cement rather than drill and use anchors in my humble opinion. build walls, drill holes and stand up. Throw on a thick fender washer and nut to secure to the slab.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck, we are using topcons to attach the framing

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

For the concrete folks, yrs. ago I helped pour a little concrete. Where we wanted an expansion joint we'd put in a piece of felt to separate the pours. Appx. 15 yrs. ago I had concrete driveway poured, they poured it all then ran a little grooving thing across the top, making appx. 1/2 deep groove at surface, and called it an expansion joint. These groves ain't working, every crack I have, when it gets to a groove, it just crosses it and keeps going on down the driveway. Our old felt expansion joints, the crack would stop at that joint, it may crack somewhere else on the other side, but that crack would stop... Are these newer grooves actually expansion joints, or just what is now called an expansion joint?
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Dont want to Hijack your garage thread but concrete can be like oil threads. Slab looks nice ! I would have pushed it (and the soninlaw) out to 16ft.

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  Are these newer grooves actually expansion joints, or just what is now called an expansion joint?
                  GRRRrrrrrrr!!!!! Dont get me going......3 years ago I paid $13K for a driveway and front door apron. My old asphalt/gravel drive had seen the better part of 40 years. The concrete guys were friends of my neighbor and they did hers. Beautiful job. My prep was everything you hoped it would be but it got late in the year and that concerned me a little. I hoped for 90 days before frost and got 45. Wow ! did it look nice, other than a squirrel hopping across it. Next day they cut it into 8x10s. Not sure how deep.

3 months later. February. It lifted 1" above my garage floor. I called the guy cause he lives near by and he was there in 5 min. He said he was gonna grab his saw and re cut it deeper. By the time he got back there was a 20ft diagonal crack......

and I have not heard from him since !

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

So Labor Day weekend went from being a nice dry but warm Friday to yuck. However, we managed to make great progress.

And Chuck, I spelt that wrong, we used Tapcons.

Working in the rain is not fun and despite breaking for the thunderstorms we spent some time in it. By Saturday evening the walls were up and secured to the concrete

IMG_6792 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Then Sunday we built out the trusses using a jig Joe made. Those brackets were definitely not easy to secure but we traded off sides and got them up there.

IMG_6794 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

We finished early on Monday since he had to head home but not before framing the garage door area and setting the bottom row of sheeting

IMG_6798 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Although I worked late on Tuesday, I spent Wednesday, Thursday and an hour today putting up the rest of the walls. We'll start on the roof this weekend.

IMG_6812 by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Also went down to purchase the vinyl siding which will get delivered on Wednesday. That was a bugger to find the right color as it has to at least come close to matching what's on the house. Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards only carry a clay color which is too dark but I found a wholesaler in town that will sell to the public. They have to bring it out from Columbus but at least it matches better.
                    Last edited by cowboyup3371; 09-09-2022, 05:42 PM.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Looking good, Closer to the end every day. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        All cleaned up and waiting on OUPS to mark out the utilities
                        That is your utility marking service? That is real easy to mis-read as "Oooops."

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post

That is your utility marking service? That is real easy to mis-read as "Oooops."
                          Yes it is and it is actually pronounced that when you are talking to others about it

Ohio Utilities Protection Service

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

We have had a few weeks of very productive work culminating in putting on the last piece of siding yesterday. I don't think I did too bad for the first time ever working with that though, as Joe says, you can definitely tell where I started. After I finished the walls, he sided the gable areas and we did some of the fascia. We'll finish that and shingle the roof in a couple of weeks as Rose's 1 year birthday is next weekend. I'm hopeful i'll move the bikes back shortly after the roof work but that depends on when we can do the concrete for the path.

After Tuesday evening this past week. I could only work on the shed after work which meant I'd get about 2 hours before it got too dark to see and our "quiet hours" kicked in.

Siding after second day by Scott Baker, on Flickr

And where we finished up yesterday

Siding completed by Scott Baker, on Flickr

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Scott, is there a loft in there? I probably missed where you said, "there is a loft," but it sure looks like usable space.

Having just gutted a 2000 square foot barn at work this summer and watched the cement company prep and pour the pad and three porches around it, I find this thread very cool.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X