Anyone else get the "feeling"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else get the "feeling"?

I was thinking I would get out on the bike today, other than a bit windy it was a nice day. I went to town to get a few things and after getting home and unloading everything I thought "I don't feel like getting all the gear on to go". I learned a long time ago that if you aren't feeling it don't go. The few times I ignored this feeling I had a couple of near misses that convinced me to cut the ride short. How about you?
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

In my Las Vegas thread I mentioned taking a completely different route from John Day last week because I wasn’t feeling good about taking roads through the forest in the morning. Deer freak me out
    No signature

Comment

I know exactly what you mean, sometimes get a gut feeling that to go for a ride might not end well. If I get that feeling, I play safe and stay home !.
      "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
      1978 GS750
      1979 GS750 chop
      1979 GS550
      2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
      2000 Enfield Bullet 500
      1992 XV750 Virago
      2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Yes, somedays the signs are wrong.
        Although there is a fine line between sensing a disturbance in the Force and just bone lazy.......
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

A lot more bone lazy days for the past couple of yrs.... Beginning to think them past 68 birthdays may be the culprit.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

For me, I need to look past that feeling, otherwise I would never venture out. In my area, there is never a trip that doesn't include multiple vehicles crossing the yellow line heading towards me, on my side of the road. We have hands free laws for phones and it does no good. It is mind boggling at the number of distracted drivers and lack of traffic enforcement.

I know I have said this many times, but if you decide to stop at a stop sign or drive the speed limit around here, it is highly likely you will encounter road rage.

Edit: If my comments are too off topic, I can remove.

Comment

I think it's about having fun and listening to your seasoned thoughts. Regarding Trevor's post I can relate. This spring and summer I rode my biker daily to work etc. With the shorter days I was aware of the deer within 10KM of my house on this end of my commute. In spite of knowing they were there and being really careful one still ran into me one morning at sunup. I rode to work the rest of the week but it really wasn't fun watching for them like a hawk and doing under the speed limit in spots. So I started taking the truck to work starting last week. Yesterday I did 500KM though, just started later in the day and rode on unfamiliar roads though. No use riding if you're uneasy and not enjoying it.
              1986 1150EF
              2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Deer are a fact of life in my neck of the woods, I have had close encounters with a few but way more near misses with Human "Dears".
                sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I have killed 3 deer in automobiles.
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                    Yes, somedays the signs are wrong.
                    Although there is a fine line between sensing a disturbance in the Force and just bone lazy.......
                    Yup, "...just bone lazy..." is an issue....

Being lazing is a problem at my age. I am 66, so not that old, but...
                    If the weather looks good in the morning, I can spend an hour or so getting a bike out, putting the right clothes on, putting my gear one, and going out....
                    Or....I can get in the roadster, drop the top, and drive right now....

They are both excellent open air options, just different.

So yes, ease of access matters....
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

Yup, "...just bone lazy..." is an issue....

Being lazing is a problem at my age. I am 66, so not that old, but...
                      If the weather looks good in the morning, I can spend an hour or so getting a bike out, putting the right clothes on, putting my gear one, and going out....
                      Or....I can get in the roadster, drop the top, and drive right now....

They are both excellent open air options, just different.

So yes, ease of access matters....
                      Yeah worst part for me is boots. I hate laces. But an hour?? 5 minutes 8 if shoot an espresso.
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                        I have killed 3 deer in automobiles.
                        I'd be pretty annoyed if I found them in my car, too.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yeah worst part for me is boots. I hate laces. But an hour?? 5 minutes 8 if shoot an espresso.
                          I recently got myself a new pair of riding boots with quick closers like ski boots. Makes getting into ATTGAT as quick as can be. That said, there have been a few time that I’ve gotten on the bike, prepared to be out for a few hours, but because of this “feeling”, came home after only being on the bike for maybe half an hour. Curves felt like I just couldn’t get a good line, braking felt wrong, I just couldn’t seem to get my head focused on the ride. I just felt like, at those times, on a bike really wasn’t where I should be. Trust your gut.

Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yeah....I am very capable of exaggeration at times.
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I find some times premonitions work, sometimes they don't. I can't not go if I get a yellow flag in my head...but they sharpen the senses-I run my checklist: look harder for deer in the shadows, stay away from the yellow line in corners the "race-car drivers" and trailer-towers are going to cut ( all the time! ), people don't see me when the sun is low behind me, more braking distance for what the goof ahead of me suddenly does...

Comment

Working...
                              X