Siren song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Siren song

"the appeal of something that is alluring but also potentially harmful or dangerous"

From my living room couch, I can hear the call. In my mind, I can see the four cylinders, two cams and 4-into-1 pipe. Sometimes it's a lone wolf, sometimes it sounds like a quintet. What beautiful music they make!

Sometimes other people don't hear it. They try to tell me it's not real. They say it's just a myth. I say it's mythical AND real.

Do you guys hear it?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Only when I am smoking the same stuff as you lol
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

I live across a small lake from four MC dealerships. There are a couple freeway on/off ramps within "ear shot" to get to and from said dealerships. On a nice summer night, it is a continuous loud obnoxious "song" that makes me wish for early winter days......
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
        I live across a small lake from four MC dealerships. There are a couple freeway on/off ramps within "ear shot" to get to and from said dealerships. On a nice summer night, it is a continuous loud obnoxious "song" that makes me wish for early winter days......
        Oh, no! Sounds like a Harley dealership.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I'm with you fast, maybe I need to smoke something to figure out if he's talking about a siren, a 4 into 1 pipe, a lone wolf, or a quintet... That being said wherever I am if there's a 4 into 1 within hearing distance, I'm almost in a trance just listening till I can't hear it any more... Really stands out when out on a boat fishing, all is quiet, then hear far in the distance someone going through the gears with a 4 into 1... yeah mythical is a great description.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I'm in the middle of a pair of rural circuits that are regularly used by local lads on their bikes and cars. Some of the cars are just loud and obnoxious but there are a couple that sound like a big Jap four on song (which is what they are, really) and nearly all of the bikes have 4-1s too.
            When I'm out and hear one approaching, I can visualise where on the track he is, by the gearchanges and accompanying melody.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

Oh, no! Sounds like a Harley dealership.
              Thats one of them ! but not the most guilty party of the obnoxious noise that I hear. Sounds more like a piped aprilia, duc, MVA, or some variation of JAP 12K rpm race machine.

I will admit that I was once one of them on a KZ650 with a unbaffled Kerker. OMG what a song !!!!

Wind in my hair
              Shifting and drifting
              Mechanical music
              Adrenaline surge

Well-weathered leather
              Hot metal and oil
              The scented country air
              Sunlight on chrome
              The blur of the landscape
              Every nerve aware
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

And your post started out so positively. "I live across a small lake..."

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  ...if there's a 4 into 1 within hearing distance, I'm almost in a trance...
                  That's what I'm talking about!

Comment

A hot rodded 60's V8 can make my head snap up, but few motorcycles' soundtracks do other than the original Max, certain Honda V4s, and the occasional Ducati.

Oh, and the CBx. For damned sure.
                    Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 12-05-2022, 09:16 AM.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                      A hot rodded 60's V8 can make my head snap up, but few motorcycles' soundtracks do other than the original Max, certain Honda V4s, and the occasional Ducati.

Oh, and the CBx. For damned sure.
                      A CBX with a 6 into 6 exhaust. Heavenly.
                      Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
                      2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300
                      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                      1997 Honda 250 Rebel
                      1984 Honda Nighthawk S CB700SC
                      1973 Yamaha RT3 360

Comment

A fellow that lives a few miles down the road form me had an early Honda Valkyrie 6, the carbureted version, up to about the mid 2000's. Then he went HD. That Valkyrie had some sort of aftermarket or custom pipes on it. It may have had other mods. While not ridiculously loud, it had an almost intoxicating sound to it through the gears. I'm not sure what it reminded me of, but perhaps a Ferrari or something exotic. The firing order may have had something to do with it. I've never heard a Gold Wing or Valk like it.
                        1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

I have heard a couple of the Honda flat 6 motors with some kind of exhaust that sound great too. Not loud but definitely sweet.
                          Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
                          2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300
                          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                          1997 Honda 250 Rebel
                          1984 Honda Nighthawk S CB700SC
                          1973 Yamaha RT3 360

Comment

A time and a place.

I'm in Jewett Ohio, at a convenient store I'm drinking some water. Coming down a long hill into town was this Harley popping and backfiring. The road flattens out in front of the convenient store, he gives it the gas for everyone to hear!
                            As I'm zipping up my jacket, the Harley turns around to come back to the convenient store. He pulls up as I'm fastening my helmet.
                            When I left, I ripped it up that hill out of town! 2ed, 3ed, 4th to almost redline!! A little dose of inline four, 4 into 1 sweet music!
                            I'm sure he thought I was a A hole leaving town the same I thought he was A hole coming into town! Haha.
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Harleys can sound okay with good exhaust systems, and so can I4s, but neither is music to my ears.
                              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X