Concrete reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concrete reality

Concrete is a ubiquitous product used in the construction of thousands of things across the planet, some of which most people never even thought of . (example: I have been a crew member in races on Lake Ontario in a cement-hulled sailboat)

It is simultaneously one of the most useful man-made products and one of the most dangerous things affecting our future.

This article explains:

.https://www.noemamag.com/concrete-bu...destroying-it/
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

I have been thinking about concrete recently A town near me in Washington state is named Concrete. Pretty cool area. On a nice day recently I got some pics of the historic bridge in town which when completed in 1918 was the longest the longest single-span reinforced concrete bridge in the world. I need to read the full article, but I know the Romans had a good recipe.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Good article. I was already aware somewhat of the issues with regard to cement/concrete. But the author I felt conveyed the complex role it plays in a way that was instructional and at the same time an enjoyable read.
      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
      80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

USS Selma, a ship made from concrete in WWII.

AE7JU4OQQVHCJGDUOSEEKUYZL4.jpg

Comment

Thanks for that. I had never heard of Selma until now. She was certainly a LOT bigger than the tiny sailboat I was on.

Here is an interesting article on her, and a few similarly constructed ships.

Although small concrete ships had been built successfully in the Scandinavian countries, the project envisioned by the Fleet Corporation was on a much larger scale: a 7,500-ton tanker with a … Continue reading "The Story of the U.S.S. Selma"
          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Good information in the article
            (although truthfully I quickly scanned most of the text to get to the gist)
            I had not considered the production cost of manufacturing cement. It's a lot!

My first wife's best friend got a masters at Milwaukee School of Engineering back in the day. I remember being astounded that you can take masters-level courses in concrete.
            Far out.
            "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Concrete, especially Portland Cement, is quite a science. The Roman's developed Hydraulic Concrete but the knowledge was lost for over a 100 years, if not longer. People thought the wooden markings on the ancient ports was fossilized wood, till a scientist pointed out that it takes magnitudes longer, and that's when it was realized the Roman's were pretty smart.
              Last edited by Suzukian; 01-07-2023, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Roman buildings made of concrete are still standing after 2000 years, something modern concrete construction cannot even approach, It appears that scientists have finally figured out why. Their findings could have a big impact on concrete construction going forward including its carbon footprint,

The majestic structures of ancient Rome have survived for millennia — a testament to the ingenuity of Roman engineers, who perfected the use of concrete.

Last edited by dpep; 01-08-2023, 01:12 PM.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I know little about concrete. That being said, I couldn't believe it when it was reported, in 2022, the Nashville NFL stadium, built in 1999, has deteriorated to the point it isn't worth rehab....Just very hard to imagine a 23 yr. old structure of concrete and steel could be in this bad of shape in this little time... I hate always being so skeptical, but did the folks overseeing this project know in 1999, if we build this thing right, we can get another new one in appx 20 or 25 yrs. Shouldn't any concrete and steel structure normally last longer than this, unless something was intentionally designed into it to make it fail sooner?
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                    Roman buildings made of concrete are still standing after 2000 years, something modern concrete construction cannot even approach, It appears that scientists have finally figured out why. Their findings could have a big impact on concrete construction going forward including its carbon footprint,

http://ttps://www.cnn.com/style/arti...scn/index.html
                    "Secure Connection Failed"

and did the same on several repeated attempts.
                    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Corners being cut?
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I remember how concrete was so water down (many decades ago) in buildings in Philadelphia (I was living there at the time, reading up on some of the history), the water would eventually come out of the bottom of the form, and whatever was left would would kind of solidify, but not into anything useful, and had to be redone. All Mob related of course.

Comment

Lord Beaverbrook owned or had controlling interest in LaFarge at one time. A few collapses occured because of malfeasance though he was shielded.
                          Dirty POS
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post

"Secure Connection Failed"

and did the same on several repeated attempts.
                            Try it now.....

I corrected the link in my post. The link in your quote of my post is still bad.
                            Last edited by dpep; 01-07-2023, 11:12 PM.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post

Try it now.....

I corrected the link in my post. The link in your quote of my post is still bad.
                              The replacement works, but the {story{ is incomplete.

Within that story is another link that gives the actual information:

The majestic structures of ancient Rome have survived for millennia — a testament to the ingenuity of Roman engineers, who perfected the use of concrete.
                              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                              X