Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have 5 1/2 inches...what have you got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 5 1/2 inches...what have you got?

And...mine has chrome on top!!

I doubt this is a record , but that is the length of what appears to have been part of a metal logo that came out of my rear tire. .(Mustang, not the bike)

There was just a bit of metal showing between the treads when I grabbed it with the pliers, I expected it would come out in a second or two as such things usually do, but that proved wrong.

It began with an average appearance, just a nub of metal about 1/4 inch in diameter. As I pulled aand it began moving I saw it was shiny in part. I kept pulling, but it was really stuck in there. I had to use a chunk of wood as a fulcrum to pry it out....and then keep on prying.

The initial nub I had seen just grew and grew.
    After two inches came out .I thought it was most unusual, but then it got ridiculous, as a third inch....and a fourth, and then a fifth inch came out, plus a bit more, before it finally was free! .

Fortunately, I keep a supply of tubeless tire worms and one of them worked. The tire held 40lbs before being dropped back to normal 32lbs. .

My wife, the forensic scientist, looked at the now-arced length of metal and pronounced that it had to have been a deliberate act: someone must have set it in place when it was still a straight piece, and did so while the car was parked.

She may​ be right.

"If you are going through hell.......keep going."
    Winston Churchill

That’s about average, depends if you measure on top or underneath.

Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

You need to go a size bigger. No way it should take a pliers and stick to get the rubber off.....
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Right rear tire?
        The most punctured tire is the right rear tire, because it's towards the curb where debris accumulates, plus it's said the front tire lifts up debris that the rear tire then runs over.
        Pulled a broken round file out of my tire once, at least 4" long.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Had a few odd things got into my rear tyres over the years (hardly ever had a front puncture), mostly kicked up by the fronts and standing just right to punch their way into the rear carcass.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            Right rear tire?
            The most punctured tire is the right rear tire, because it's towards the curb where debris accumulates, plus it's said the front tire lifts up debris that the rear tire then runs over.
            Pulled a broken round file out of my tire once, at least 4" long.
            You are right in that reasoning, and I see that I overlooked mentioning which tire was involved.

It was the left / driver side.
            Winston Churchill

Comment

When I read the title of the thread, I thought, "You have my sympathy".

Comment

Back in the day when I worked part time at the local Suzuki shop to help finance my habit I pulled all sorts of things out of tires. Biggest thing though was out of the back tire of my 350XL. It was a railroad tie spike that partially penetrated the tire and boy did make a lot of noise going 'round and 'round hitting the fender. Riding out of the bush with a flat rear tire to the nearest road was kind of squirrelly too.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Loading a GSXR1100 racebike onto the trailer after a very successful day at the track I noticed a screw head on the rear slick. Pulled it out once the bike was home and on the stands. 50mm X 6mm Phillips head screw. And yes, the tyre went down once it was out.

Can you tell what the logo was on yours?

Comment

My cousin once ran over a pushrod from an engine. It went in thru the tread and out of the sidewall.... it held air until we got home.

Ages ago, I ran over a broken off piece of a signpost that somehow ended up in the road with the work van. Instant flat in the pouring rain and dark...
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

[QUOTE=GregT;n1710818]Loading a GSXR1100 racebike onto the trailer after a very successful day at the track I noticed a screw head on the rear slick. Pulled it out once the bike was home and on the stands. 50mm X 6mm Phillips head screw. And yes, the tyre went down once it was out.

Can you tell what the logo was on yours?[/QUOTE]

No. There is nothing to identify.

I presume it was originally straight but bent into a curve by a combination of being pressed against the wheel rim while the tire rotated, and then by my prying it out of the tread.
                      It has a rounded chrome top and beneath that it is a bit flatter, with what appears to be thin, folded, brass that has ragged edges.
                      Multiple rough spots on the brass suggested to me that there had been other bits attached to it.

Electronics made sense for the brass,, but the chrome suggested exterior usage, and the word logo came to mind.

Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                        You need to go a size bigger. No way it should take a pliers and stick to get the rubber off.....
                        Perhaps so. The amount of friction involved tells me this one was not self-lubricated, as it remained stuck inside until forced out however.
                        It did predictably bend on removal
                        Last edited by argonsagas; 01-03-2023, 10:11 AM.
                        Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                        X