Bending Steel Plate without a press brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bending Steel Plate without a press brake

I want to make some simple L brackets out of 1/4" steel plate. They plate is 6" wide.

They need to be drilled but for accuracy I can potentially drill and even cut the legs to size post bending...

Other than putting them in a vice and hitting with some heat applied.... anyone got any other methods they like?

This gives you an idea of what I need to make (Mine are at 90 degrees not overbent like these).

Simpson does a bracket called the HL46 that would potentially work for the inside for me but that doesn't help with the outside where they don't make anything that would line up with the holes on the 46 on the inside (and they are about 50 bucks for one bracket which is a typical Simpson rip-off!)

L Brakcets.jpg
    Last edited by salty_monk; 01-13-2023, 07:07 PM.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

fifteencharacters
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Problem with doing them cold is they could crack, or fatigue inside. Very large pipe wrenches, and a few friends should do the trick. Is there a reason why you can't weld it?

Comment

Yeah it's more holding it that concerns me... I can put some heat into it. Welding is not allowed unfortunately. Building code....
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Big Block
          Yeah, you'll have to heat them. Bending cold will crack them. Alternatively find some channel or pieces shaped in an L already and cut them down to size with a cutting wheel on a grinder.
          Agree on all points.

Cold bending gives poor results.
          Even if it survives the bending and you see no crack(s) it will definitely be weak, and may break when under strain.
          "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
          Winston Churchill

Comment

Could you layer thin sheet? It would divide the bending force required.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

1/4" plate is THICK. I don't think bending even cheese steel that thick is going to be easy. What about two pieces welded at 90 degrees? Do you know anyone with a welder?

Edit: forget this post. Didn't see the "welding isn't allowed" post.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You can buy mild steel angle that size, not sure how many brackets you need so it may work out a bit expensive.
                Found this on ebay.uk so must be available your side of the world

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

If what you want to do is as the drawings earlier in the thread, then 1/4inch is way thicker than required. Here in NZ most houses are still built in wood. There are pre-made brackets available off the shelf here for just the building situations drawn. Approved for use by our authorites too.
                  I've handled and used several of them myself. None are more than 1/8inch in thickness. Available pre bent, pre drilled and zinc plated.
                  Is there nothing available like this in the US ?

Comment

Buy some 5 x 5 x 5/16 angle and have the steel supplier cut them to your required length. Drill to suit and bolt them in.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1986 GS1150EF

Comment

If you could find some square stock, you could cut opposite corners and have your angled piece. You could open up the "L" pieces with a good vise. I have a steel guy I know, this guy has all manner of steel in stock, he makes sections for highway entrance ramp steel sections. If I need something I just go through his pile, he's rarely charged me more than $10 bucks. I have square stock here that a thing cut off wheel could either flush with the side, or 45 degrees into the corner. This would allow you to form the piece with a vice, this seems like extreme overbuild though. You're holding wood together with a piece that without knowing what you are actually making makes it hard to give advice on. A little more info, it seems you could use solid blocks of wood on both sides and get the same result.

Comment

Working...
                      X