Big Snow in the Desert!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Snow in the Desert!

Two days ago my house received eight inches of snow! ...Mind you, I live in the desert... This is the 3rd or 4th heaviest snow ever recorded here. My home is at the bottom of the Mongolian Rim, here in AZ. about 3,000 feet below it. Sometimes we get a little dusting of snow, but it melts by noon. There is still snow on the ground, 3 days later...
    (Wish I could figure out how to upload pics from my phone, but, you've all seen snow before... Lol...)
    I have two shades over my garden that were absolutely packed with snow about 6-7 inches deep. They were sagging down to three feet off the ground. I finally got a chance to get out there and remove that snow today. Wouldn't you know, it was solid ice on the bottom!
    I must have looked pretty funny out there with a hammer and a broom, blasting away at it! After I got it all broken up & somewhat pushed off the big pieces, I had to get under it in the middle, to get the rest of the snow off. Glad no one was outside with a camera... Now I'm relenting that I should have covered my outside faucets... Duh!
    Last edited by Peppermint Patti; 01-24-2023, 10:55 PM.

I live in Connecticut. I'm part of the HAARP project, and we've been trying to shift the snow to your area for a couple of years now. Seems to be working. Thanks for the info!!

Comment

The Mogollon Monster may have to become a yeti.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Oh Patti you can't fool us. You were having fun playing in the snow!
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Very cool! It's nice to know that it won't last long. One of my favorite things to do is jump on the Palm Springs Tram. It takes you from the dessert to a snowy (sometimes) mountain top in about 10 minutes. Some great hiking and a fantastic spot for lunch!

Comment

Congrats Patti, How does it feel, having the real thing instead of just seeing pictures of it? We all need a little dose of snow every now and then. We need to consult with Al Gore to see if this snow in the desert is because of global warming or climate change... Glad you got to see it for real.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The Snow is so good for Spring. Thank God we are still getting water from upper New England, but the rivers are busting loose from their banks like they used to only 5 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                Congrats Patti, How does it feel, having the real thing instead of just seeing pictures of it? We all need a little dose of snow every now and then. We need to consult with Al Gore to see if this snow in the desert is because of global warming or climate change... Glad you got to see it for real.
                Perspective is important....Aridzona is not at all used to heavy snow.

We get more, but it is not always a pleasant experience.
                Todays our forecast is for the biggest snowfall of the year.

Snow started accumulating at my house before noon and I have to keep the sidewalk clear so I shovel it frequently during the day.. Total so far is almost five inches.

Based on what accumulated on one part of the sidewalk while I cleaned the other side It is presently falling at between one and two inches per hour.

......and this may continue all night!

I am glad I have the snowblower gassed and ready for tomorrow morning.
                "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Just pok'in at ya'll, For me snow in a desert would be almost unheard of, I think of deserts as hot and dry. Sure would have never imagined ya'll would have a snow blower on hand... Good luck, maybe it'll be gone in a couple of days.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                  X