A sad story, with a strong warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A sad story, with a strong warning

This biking story is about e-bikes and the likely failures resulting from poor design and material choices, as well as unexpected high maintenance needs that, if not done adequately, can result in tragedy.

In fact, it is a tragic story, but a very important one for anyone thinking of buying/using an e-bike, whether for use by adults or children..

If you have kids that want or already own / operate an e-bike it is essential reading.

It is quite long, so just the link is posted.

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a4...=pocket-newtab

"If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Tragic story for sure. I personally don't believe that RAD should be held liable. However, I won't be surprised to see the jurors side with the plaintiff.

Here is a link to the filings: https://unicourt.com/case/ca-la23-ka...n-et-al-884050

Comment

I see people whizzing around town on e bikes regularly. They are not slow. The “bike” designation seems to make them regarded as safer then a motorcycle. In my eyes they are a modern moped, not a bicycle.
      I think after a few high profile court cases or injuries to a person(s) of note, regulation will follow. For better or worse.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
        This biking story is about e-bikes and the likely failures resulting from poor design and material choices, as well as unexpected high maintenance needs that, if not done adequately, can result in tragedy.

In fact, it is a tragic story, but a very important one for anyone thinking of buying/using an e-bike, whether for use by adults or children..

If you have kids that want or already own / operate an e-bike it is essential reading.

It is quite long, so just the link is posted.

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a4...=pocket-newtab

Plenty of young riders have learned that gravity is a bitch, over the years, and that coupled with a two-up ride is bleedin' dangerous.
        It doesn't even take two-up anyway. My younger brother had a similar accident about 50 years ago, riding a Raleigh Chopper, down a hill with an evil sharp bend halfway down. That landed him in hospital, too.

A classic case of sue-itis.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

An enlightening article . I am in the market for an e-bike and Rad had been on my list . But I was unaware of the braking and quick release wheel issues . I rejected the Rad from my list for a few reasons ..... They weigh a ton. The one in the photo appears to be a double battery model and those things weigh a lot more than their already heavy standard models ...... They are Class 2 { hub drive with a throttle only mode } But mostly I rejected it because of the fire issue . I decided the safest is a mid drive with top notch fire safe electronics { Bosch or Shimano } ...... Still haven't purchased yet but have been paring my list ......

But as that article revealed that the Rad has known braking issues I suspect they may win their lawsuit .... I think with an exceptionally heavy bike that you can get really moving in throttle only mode the manufacturer has an obligation to not cheap out on the brakes .​
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

It seems that every month or so a home fire is started by one of these scooters, and a few lifes are lost each year here in the big apple. Even as a pedestrian, these little bastards sneak up on me right on the sidewalk. Not a big fan.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Last night, 5 people were hurt in a fire in Manhattan caused by charging a lithium ion battery from an e bike.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I'd have to se the quick release mechanism they use to decide if it was a crappy one, or not adjusted properly. Braking hard with compression leaver will not cause it to come off. It it is not made well, doesn't have the "Lawyer Clips', that could be a huge factor. I put a lot of this on the parents or letting their kids ride on an area with s steep cliff where loss of control leads to death. The article has so much fluff in it, you really have to read through the lines to see they where at a point, where they should have parked the bike, or walked it up there. Riding two up on on a narrow trail, I don't know many adult bikers who do that on those seaside drop offs. This is innocence lost, with parents responsibility for not instructing them how, and where you don't use it. That E-bike is not an off road e-bike, it's a street model. One of their suing points is that Radd should be more open about not letting teens ride theirs bikes. Who purchased that bike for the kid, the parents, why did they not research this? Simon Cowell busted his head open, cracked his skull, when he gave his new E-Bike full throttle from a dead stop. He didn't sue anyone. He admitted he did not read the instructions. I think those throttles should be governed so that can't happen I have mechanical disc brakes on the recumbent bikes and trikes I've designed, they work fantastically. IMHO.

e-bike-rad-power-radrunner-0713-1675115001.jpg?resize=980:*.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                  I'd have to se the quick release mechanism they use to decide if it was a crappy one, or not adjusted properly. Braking hard with compression leaver will not cause it to come off. It it is not made well, doesn't have the "Lawyer Clips', that could be a huge factor. I put a lot of this on the parents or letting their kids ride on an area with s steep cliff where loss of control leads to death. The article has so much fluff in it, you really have to read through the lines to see they where at a point, where they should have parked the bike, or walked it up there. Riding two up on on a narrow trail, I don't know many adult bikers who do that on those seaside drop offs. This is innocence lost, with parents responsibility for not instructing them how, and where you don't use it. That E-bike is not an off road e-bike, it's a street model. One of their suing points is that Radd should be more open about not letting teens ride theirs bikes. Who purchased that bike for the kid, the parents, why did they not research this? Simon Cowell busted his head open, cracked his skull, when he gave his new E-Bike full throttle from a dead stop. He didn't sue anyone. He admitted he did not read the instructions. I think those throttles should be governed so that can't happen I have mechanical disc brakes on the recumbent bikes and trikes I've designed, they work fantastically. IMHO.
                  There is no question or doubt that parents have a very wide range of responsibility for their children, but while the dead girls' parents did give permission for her to ride with her friend, they did not purchase or own the concerned e-bike, as it belonged to another family.

The parents of the dead girl sued not only the manufacturer, but also the parents of the girl who owned and operated the bike.
                  There can be no conclusion as to fault as a settlement was reached and the case never went to court.

"If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                  Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Thanks for the follow up. I have a 23 year old son. I watched him like a hawk, and who he hung out with. He has an awesome group of friends, is responsible. It's sad this this young girl was not taught to NOT drive or ride anybody's anything without permission. Maybe a bicycle, but even then, since I built bikes and trikes, I often fixed his friends bikes that were in need of some TLC.

Comment

I can't help but feel that the parents are suing anyone and everyone they can, as lawyers do. The other girl didn't want to hurt her friend, and no doubt she is scared for life now.

Rad has some culpability, but they didn't cause the accident, and I doubt the wheel fell off.

Everything about this story is tragic, including the parent's reaction.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

My wife has a RAD. My friend has the model they are talking about. In general compared to some others I've seen they are pretty well made & over engineered (hence the weight).... It's telling that the best selling e bikes right now are ones with the passenger seats.

Most of the kids round here don't even pedal.

My biggest problem with E-bikes is they let people get ahead of themselves. By that I mean you can easily get to 20+mph. Most people would have to work really hard to go that fast on a pushbike so in general that means those people are riders with quite a bit of practice in their legs...

It doesn't happen to just kids either. Locally an older gent blew past a flag man & stuck his front wheel down a road cut on one.... Knocked out, lost teeth, paramedic etc etc.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Shortly after I electrified my MTB, an elderly neighbour showed some interest in it and because I knew him and trusted him, I let him have a ride up and down the road.
                          He came back, quite chuffed with this new device, and just as he was dismounting, he twisted the throttle.
                          Oooppppsss.
                          This was a man who'd been riding bikes all his life, and he'd already been using the controls.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                          X