Hmmm, it doesn't feel like 1850 to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm, it doesn't feel like 1850 to me

Anyone who's followed science shows on TV has probably heard the "Doom and gloom" stories about what would happen if the Earth was hit by a gamma ray burst. The power lines would fry, computer chips would be punched through with millions of tiny holes, etc. That day has come and guess what? The internet is still here!

On Sunday, October 9, 2022, a pulse of intense radiation swept through the solar system so exceptional that astronomers quickly dubbed it the BOAT – the brightest of all time. The source was a gamma-ray burst (GRB), the most powerful class of explosions in the universe. The burst triggered det
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Since my Co. paid me 7 hr. overtime, to come in and babysit our Co. for the millennium on New Years eve 1999, and all I did was sit there and eat and watch the clock, and remembering back in the 80"s a climate scientist from Colombia Univ. said within 20 to 40 yrs New York's West Side Hwy. will be under water, & Al Gore predicting our polar ice caps to melt by 2013, then in 2015 changed it to within 5 to 7 yrs.... I've lost confidence, I've got where I question some of these big predictions of what's gon'na happen in the future. Really glad all those "RAYS" didn't hurt us too bad.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I got paid 4x to sit and play Duke Nukem all night on Y2K on an IT support desk. Good money for nothing for a recent graduate (as I was back then) and New Years celebration are usually overrated anyway!
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I had my electronic repair shop back on Y2K, a lot of VCR calls on clocks that did not function right. There was a date, I forgot what it was, but you would set the VCR to that and then the timers would work again.

Comment

Possibly a Connecticut thing, I don't remember hearing of anything that got screwed up around here.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

On NYE, 1999-2000, I was relaxing in a hot tub on the patio at my then girlfriend's house. We had a stereo playing and a light or two on in the house. At about 00:01, all the power went out. City-wide, we learned. I wasn't expecting anything from the Y2K hype, but that got my attention. Power was back on the next day. The utility had some sort of a strange explanation later on that really didn't ring true.
            1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by hank2 View Post
              On NYE, 1999-2000, I was relaxing in a hot tub on the patio at my then girlfriend's house. We had a stereo playing and a light or two on in the house. At about 00:01, all the power went out. City-wide, we learned. I wasn't expecting anything from the Y2K hype, but that got my attention. Power was back on the next day. The utility had some sort of a strange explanation later on that really didn't ring true.
              That's because it (mostly) wasn't bullchit.
              I knew a few legacy programmers who assured me there were a pile of older systems (or newer systems with ancient code) that could and would just stop and/or mess up overnight.
              The lack of failures led a lot of people to think it was all hype, the fools.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Well Grim, guess I was one of those fools, after I didn't see, or hear, anything that quit working (until Suzukian's clocks yesterday) it still seems it was all hype....I dun'no maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  Well Grim, guess I was one of those fools, after I didn't see, or hear, anything that quit working (until Suzukian's clocks yesterday) it still seems it was all hype....I dun'no maybe not.
                  There where an AWFUL lot of aging FORTRAN and COBOL maintaining neck bearded nerds sweating bullets around that time, they never imagined it being a problem when they where getting into the biz back in the 60's.

These days there's a HUGE problem keeping those systems up and running since those guys are just about all "aged out" with nobody in the pipeline to replace them.
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                  1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                  LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

At the first day of Y2K...January 1..I got a truly funny moment.

I opened the office door and, out of habit, looked at the clock on the wall.......it was running backwards!

It was a battery-operated clock, and the batteries were almost done, but I left it running that way until others came into the office to see it..
                    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post

That's because it (mostly) wasn't bullchit.
                      I knew a few legacy programmers who assured me there were a pile of older systems (or newer systems with ancient code) that could and would just stop and/or mess up overnight.
                      The lack of failures led a lot of people to think it was all hype, the fools.
                      IT guys cashed in it was glorious fear mongering.
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

After 'superstorm' Sandy in 2012, gasoline deliveries were severely effected here in New York City. Many stores lost power, but virtually all lost network access, so even after finding gas, it was cash only. That was the last time I waited in a gas line.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Did Y2K "DO ANYTHING" that amounted to anything?

Comment

Working...
                          X