Vancouver....River of Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vancouver....River of Snow

I am used to seeing avalanche photos or videos showing huge amounts of snow tumbling down a mountainside and expected to see that when opening this video.
    Instead, the video, taken by a rather skilled drone operator, shows a different scenario, with almost a "river" of snow cascading downwards

.https://ca.yahoo.com/news/drone-pilo...040839511.html
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

That was incredible!
    Thanks never saw anything like it
    joepenoso

2X 1979 GS Suzuki G

Comment

Impressive photography ...... However a little geography lesson is in order . Vancouver and Vancouver Island are two different places .....
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
        Impressive photography ...... However a little geography lesson is in order . Vancouver and Vancouver Island are two different places .....
        True, yes....but I have been told if you ave Georgia on your mind it is Strait across.
        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

The drone operators skill level is very high. It is a treat to observe the smooth and reflexive simultaneous control inputs for speed, craft left/right, look left/right, camera up/down, as well as the adjustment for altitude, especially at speeds so close the ground.

That takes great hand/eye coordination. My guess the operator grew up with a gaming controller in his hands.
          1979 GS1000
          1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Originally posted by DaveR View Post
            The drone operators skill level is very high. It is a treat to observe the smooth and reflexive simultaneous control inputs for speed, craft left/right, look left/right, camera up/down, as well as the adjustment for altitude, especially at speeds so close the ground.

That takes great hand/eye coordination. My guess the operator grew up with a gaming controller in his hands.
            I noticed that, too. Beautiful flying technique.!

I also wondered about what equipment he was using as it appears to cover a distance that is far above range limits for cheap models.

FYI

CTV has a shorter version of this, with comments from several sources including the actual pilot, who said he thought that at some points he was as close as six inches above the snow. Wow!

Last edited by argonsagas; 05-08-2023, 10:56 AM.
            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I'd bet the money in my pocket that the drone was programmed to fly the course it did based on recon done from earlier flights. That in turn gave the camera operator a good idea of the viewing angles and how to use motion between them to grab the best shot.

Ever seen a professional video production being put together? They can spend the better part of a day (or more) to film a 30 second commercial!
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

That's amazing, I'd never heard of or saw a snow river like that, now there are 3 in the same clip. Big and long, at first, then the flow and sound went away, appx. 2/3 in. Long ways up sound and flow started again, another little ways up sound and flow stopped again, then a little farther up sound and flow started again. I never had a clue there could be anything like that anywhere... Thanks for putting it on here.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

On the topic of expert droning:

Pop a Dramamine before viewing.

Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I feel old after watching that.
                    1979 GS1000
                    1981 GL500 Interstate