Backstories can be fun to read.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backstories can be fun to read.

Each of us has different tastes in what amuses us but I suspect this backstory I found on CBC may appeal to more than one.

The Real Reason Charlie Became Willy Wonka

The Willy Wonka Secret: Candy Bar Advertising

When writer Roald Dahl was a young schoolboy in England, he lived near a Cadbury chocolate factory.
    Every once in a while, Cadbury would come up with a new chocolate concoction, and give out free samples to local kids to see if they liked them. That memory stayed with Dahl, and years later in 1964, he published a book titled Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Seven years after that, the book was adapted into a movie. It was titled, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.
    So, why was the title changed?
    If you've ever watched Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, you may have missed one line in the opening credits. In small type, it says the movie's copyright is held by Wolper Pictures Ltd. and the Quaker Oats Company.
    Now, why would a food company own the copyright to a Hollywood movie? Well, it all started with the director's 11-year-old daughter. She had read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and loved it. Then asked her father to make a movie out of it. The director wasn't sure, so he passed the idea by producer David Wolper.
    At that moment, Wolper was doing a project for Quaker Oats, and he knew Quaker wanted to get into the candy business. So Wolper told Quaker Oats it should fund the movie. The plot revolved around Wonka Candy Bars – and since the film would run in theatres across the country, Quaker could launch their candy bars at the same time. Plus, the company would earn part of the movie's profits.
    Quaker Oats liked the concept, and put up the full $3 million production budget. But the company had one stipulation: Quaker insisted the title be changed. The company wanted to start manufacturing Willy Wonka-branded candies and candy bars. So they wanted the title changed from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.
    Paramount Studios and Wolper agreed to the change. Roald Dahl wasn't happy. Gene Wilder was cast as Willy Wonka. Dahl had wanted Spike Milligan. It also became a musical, which Dahl also disliked.
    One of the main songs in the movie was "The Candy Man." Singer Sammy Davis Jr. was down on his luck in the early '70s, needed some money, and his manager convinced him to cover "The Candy Man."
    Sammy hated the song, banged off two quick takes, and said, "This record is going straight into the toilet. Not just around the rim, but into the bowl, and it may just pull my whole career down with it."
    It would turn out to be his only Home hit.
    Meanwhile, Quaker Oats was having problems with its Willy Wonka candy bars. As it turned out, Quaker couldn't get the recipe right for its Willy Wonka candy. It kept melting, even in cool temperatures. The company was forced to eventually pull the candy from the shelves. Therefore, their promotional investment in the movie was all for nothing. The movie got some good reviews, but did poorly at the box office. So Quaker's dreams of big profits evaporated.
    The film languished, unseen for six years. When the rights lapsed in 1977, Paramount declined to renew. Quaker Oats had no use for the movie either, and unloaded the rights to Warner Brothers for $500,000. But, the 1980's saw the rise of the VCR. And video rentals of Willy Wonka suddenly flew out of Blockbuster stores.
    The movie that Roald Dahl disowned, the movie that didn't make a profit, the movie that Paramount didn't want and Quaker didn't need, ended up becoming a cult classic.

link:
    When Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was adapted into a movie, its name changed. All thanks to a food company.
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Kind'f interesting story, Is it worth watching? Always heard of it, it just never caught my attention.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

This film is part of my childhood, seen it many times. I still love it.

You could be the only person I know of that has never seen this movie. Have you seen Star Wars?
      rphillips, in a hierarchy of priorities, I'd update that flip phone first to a smart phone.

Then you can stream Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory. Then you can watch the newer remake Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (kept the title of the Original book), starring Johnny Depp. It's even weirder, but certainly not better, than the Gene Wilder film. Depp's Wonka is Darker, weirder, creepier, and not as forgivable for his apparent transgressions
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Not seen, nor wanted to see, "Star Wars", I saw "2001 A Space Oddyssey", back in the day, an that was enough, never wanted to see anything like that again, and haven't
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

2001/Star Wars : Chalk/Cheese
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Yea, probably, but I was just never interested in any space aged stuff since then.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              Yea, probably, but I was just never interested in any space aged stuff since then.
              I am right there with you, no chocolate factory and definitely no star wars. Neither weird nor star ships were my thing.

So, what other backstories ya got?

Comment

I have no imagination and am extremely proud of it.
                2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                82 gs1100L probably the next project
                1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Gene Wilder's worst film. An utter dud. Sad such talent was wasted.
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Wow. Tough crowd. Yeah, it’s no Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, nor even See no Evil, and many more. Those just come to mind. But the film holds a special place, for me.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                      Wow. Tough crowd. Yeah, it’s no Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, nor even See no Evil, and many more. Those just come to mind. But the film holds a special place, for me.
                      I chuckled whenI read the part about Sammy Davis Jr being quite angry about it, and saying the song "Candyman" was so bad it would go straight into the toilet and likely take his career with it.........and then that song became his only number one hit.
                      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

And you know what else? I also liked Sammy Davis Jr. In those Cannonball Run movies. So sue me. They made me laugh then and they still do. Fond memories of the local Drive-In theater in my childhood years.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Oh, that's right, they did show movies at the drive-in theaters, I went there all the time. But rarely paid much attention to the movie.... OOOooohhhhh Yeah, those precious memories

Comment

Oh, I’ve got some of THOSE memories of the drive-in too, from my late teen years. And no, I don’t recall any of the film titles
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Why a drive in, no Mosquitos in the upper back rows. Pimple butts.

Comment

Working...
                              X