Scott Speed runs the dragon in a pro rally car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott Speed runs the dragon in a pro rally car

Not a motorcycle, but looks like a hoot...

Also, this video won an Emmy for the camera work...
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

The camera work Emmy was well deserved. The camera work and the editing were superb. I am not sure the Dragon is America's most dangerous road though, particularly when being run as a closed course.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Just left the area where the dragon is about a month ago, I'd be awfully leery of riding it with that many leaves on it!

As to dangerous you can bet that the sheer number of people running it and wiping out jacks up the stats. I've been on FAR more dangerous roads but they certainly weren't well known outside the local area.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
        The camera work Emmy was well deserved. The camera work and the editing were superb. I am not sure the Dragon is America's most dangerous road though, particularly when being run as a closed course.
        Yes it was. That was Killboy's group did that.

Agreed about most dangerous part.
        Even when it is not a closed road, it is still safe in a way many roads around here are not.
        No cross streets, no driveways, and a predictable rhythm.

Comment

Agreed on camera work. I wonder how many takes were done, as light sure did seem to change quite a bit.

I love the mechanical wine as heard from the interior shots.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Brings back of old memories. Back in the late "70's", it wasn't "The Dragon" it was just Hwy. 129. Few even knew it was there, and the ones that did tried to find different routes. Very little more traffic than in this video, but we did need to stay on our side of the rd., just in case we met one of those 3 pick-up trucks or half dozen bikes that were there back then... It's hard to imagine how "progress" has completely ruined this wonderful stretch of Hwy.... Thanking God, that so far, I can still enjoy my memories.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              Brings back of old memories. Back in the late "70's", it wasn't "The Dragon" it was just Hwy. 129. Few even knew it was there, and the ones that did tried to find different routes. Very little more traffic than in this video, but we did need to stay on our side of the rd., just in case we met one of those 3 pick-up trucks or half dozen bikes that were there back then... It's hard to imagine how "progress" has completely ruined this wonderful stretch of Hwy.... Thanking God, that so far, I can still enjoy my memories.
              When I go up to Deals Gap, it's usually on a Tuesday or Wednesday morning.
              Sometime I only see one to two others on the road. Still probably more crowded than back in the day.
              But weekends, yes, forget about it.

Lately, if I do want that kind of fun, I like to 116 between Rocky Top and Brushy Mountain. Almost always empty.

Comment

The absolute best piece of road I came across was only about four miles but damn! Hwy 297 east out of Oneida, Tn to the Bandy Creek Recreation Area is absolutely stunning as far as riding goes, a 300 foot drop in and out of a gorge to get to the campground. You think you're going to level out as you come around a 10mph turn only to learn it's a 13% uphill grade, total visual disorientation!

The Cherohala Skyway (Tn hwy 165) east out of Tellico Plains is a top notch cruising road with the last few miles before Robbinsville, Nc being one of the more "dangerous' stretches I've been on. Dragon like turns and sightlines with plenty of side roads and driveways along the way.
                Last edited by LAB3; 05-24-2023, 04:44 PM.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Great to hear Bob, all I've seen and heard, for a long time, was how crowded and commercialized it had become. Videos I see looks like a little town there at Deals Gap, back then the little block, (possibly plaster), store was the only thing near there. Glad ya'll found those other places we rode back then, I remember the town names more than the Hwy #'s. Only # I really remember is 28/129 numbers on the same sign, always thought St. rt. 28 and U.S. 129 was the same rd. for a few mi. Hoping the other places mentioned haven't changed as much as Deals Gap seems to have, possibly still lazy, rural, less traveled areas... Congrats for being up there near these places.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Cool, I drove that road not even knowing what it was a long time back and though WOW, this is fun. Just watched a documentary about Group B in 80s, Rallying - The Killer Years on Prime. The Lancias oh the Lancias.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                      The Lancias oh the Lancias.
                      When I was a young man, in my early 20's, my dream car was a Lancia Stratos.....Still would love to have one....

Comment

Highway 191 (the Devil's Highway) out here in AZ is one hell of a ride.
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                        X