Quicksand will not kill you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quicksand will not kill you

That is the thrust of this article I just read, which tells you how to escape quicksand if you should fall into it.

Humans can't drown in quicksand, because we float in it. Getting out can be simple if you follow these instructions.
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
    That is the thrust of this article I just read, which tells you how to escape quicksand if you should fall into it.

https://us.yahoo.com/news/escape-qui...221144652.html
    The comments below the article are better than the article itself.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Last night I had a nightmare about having a large bear as a pet and it turned on me and destroyed my house in the process with me narrowly escaping.

Tonight, after reading this...I probably have a dream where I'm trying to get out of some quicksand and a pack of hyenas come for me ?

I hardly ever remember dreams .

Screenshot_20230605_203217_Chrome.jpg

Comment

Go in head first and you will be in big trouble if no one is with you. I was up in the Moors, outside of Glossop, England, and a guy jumped across this acidic stream, the embankment was very high, and he landed arm, head and shoulder first towards the bottom, and went in very deep.. I was up to my waist before the other three of us got him out He was scared sh*tless. Depends on how you land, and what kind of soil you dealing with it. He got a lot of that acidic water in his eyes, and complained for the rest of the 25 mile hike.

Beautiful barren country, with original Roman roads still in place.

blackstone moor romanroadyorkshire.jpg

Comment

I've always worried about messing around on sand bars at the lake and on the river,cause of some kind of quicksand or pocket of water with sand...people party and camp on them all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
            Go in head first and you will be in big trouble if no one is with you. I was up in the Moors, outside of Glossop, England, and a guy jumped across this acidic stream, the embankment was very high, and he landed arm, head and shoulder first towards the bottom, and went in very deep.

Nice pic, that must have been one nice hike, cept for the incident.

In high-school, i just had my drivers license for a few months , I drove my brother and a couple friends to a state park in Indiana called turkey run.

It was quite the adventure for us at the time, at least a two hour drive.
            There was a covered bridge around there, not sure if it was in the park or just outside of there?
            But some kids were jumping off the bridge into the water,
            A guy showed up with a couple people, I'd say they were about thirty years old...older than everyone else there...I'd say that everyone else was 15-19yrs.

the shorter of the two thirty something guys probably 5' 3 with full beard climbed on top of the covered bridge, on the roof.

And jumped in.......we all laughed and cheered him on.

But few seconds went by and everyone started getting nervous, the woman with the short guy started freaking out and yelling.
            Later found out he'd done this before and never been under that long

For a second I though he was messing with everyone.

Then kids and short guys friends all jumped in to try to help.

I guess the creek or whatever it was was low compared to how it normally was.

The short guy finally surfaced , out of breath, laying on his side and coughing, some said they'd already called 911.

After five ten minutes he sat up and said his feet got stuck in the mud when he jumped in and had a hard time getting freed.

The three of them left , walking to a green chevy blazer and leaving...few minutes later police and rescue show up

We ended our visit to that place right then and headed back to our town.

Not quicksand , and haven't thought about that for years until this thread.

Comment

We have a lot of covered bridges in Connecticut. The Housatonic River doesn't flow too far from me. People float down these rivers all the time, but you had better know where and when to do this. They go from low to screaming rapids, depending on what's happened in the more Northern States. As far as the covered Bridges go, they are National Landmarks, so you drive through and don't dare do anything, you will be arrested. I''m too chicken to jump into water I haven't checked out before, and my age, that time has passed for me. I ride over this Covered Bridge that is in Kent, Ct, not too far from me a lot, on my motorcycles. The Housatonic flows under it, and there's a magnificent set of waterfalls and a parking space, and trail too them. It has to be seen to be appreciated, especially in early Spring when ll the water from the more northern states are rushing through. It cleans the air.

Bulls_Bridge.jpg

Comment

As far as the covered Bridges go, they are National Landmarks, so you drive through and don't dare do anything, you will be arrested.

Bulls_Bridge.jpg
                So no camping, no campfires inside the bridge? CSNY - "Rules and regulations, who needs them?"
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

but you had better know where and when to do this. They go from low to screaming rapids, depending on what's happened
                  I have a friend/coworker who sadly moved to a small but beautiful place near Truman lake missouri.

I'd thought he sacrificed a lot to move there, he travels forty miles one way to a 2nd shift 50 hour a week job making almost half of what he did.

he did buy a shack of a house in need of repair with a little land very chesp....like $18,000 and had been told that he probably wouldn't have any problems, but there are reports of thievery.

Sorry for long introduction..lol

I went to visit him in the spring of last year, he's probably six miles down gravel road from Osage river, beautiful ride with some nice houses and some small trailer parks and not so nice dwellings on the way.

But he told me he'd found this place down a old paved road that turned to gravel and looped around back to main road that had a creek with crystal clear cool water no matter how hot it was.

so we went there with my wife and his girlfriend to hangout before we went to some summer festival that evening.

the weather turned bad and we were expecting it, it was forecast to be quick and clear skies by seven p.m.

it was raining so heavy on the way there, we actually pulled over But most was ten twenty miles north of us according to weather app on phone.

so we arrive at this spot and it had what I call a drop inlet culvert under the road.

the inlet side of creek was only foot deep and thirty feet wide, clear water, on outlet side the water was four or five feet deep but didn't look like it because it was clear, and we found clear water coming from the ground, like a spring or something cold clear water..

Anyway back to what suzukian said about
                  but you had better know where and when to do this. They go from low to screaming rapids, depending on what's happened
                  We were there for five minutes and I noticed the water on inlet side raising little by little.

at first I was like "that's cool the water from the rain is finally reaching here"

ten minutes later it was five foot over the road and moving like crazy I couldn't believe how outta control this thing got in fifteen minutes from just being barely running little quiet creek into aa wildly dangerous outta control situation.

and we'd parked on wrong side to turn around drive away, my friend said we can drive around the loop and the other side was better for passing in high water.

I wasn't in fear or anything, I'd heard of flash flood before, but what if?

he told me people bring kids and families hang there all the time.

I guess if you notice the water in that place raise a couple inches, it's time to move out.

never seen creek before that got so crazy that quick anywhere.
                  Last edited by trent; 06-06-2023, 10:21 PM.

Comment

There's a place in Easton, Ct.. You are not allowed to swim there. Actually, you're only allowed to look at it from the edge of the road. There's a point after the fall where it hits a maybe 10' x 15' basin, then runs out. I tied to sticks together. You can see the bottom of this basin as if it was 2' feet deep. I tied to sticks together, about 16' in length plus the length of my arm, and could not reach the bottom. I was told some people tried to swim to the bottom but the water got really cold and it freaked them out. I don't mess with water.

I used to Sail a 10 meter Pearson Yacht, 50' mast, 150 Genoa, fully battened Mainsail, and it has a 6' 9" fin keel with a beam of 12',6" inches. It was a real blue water boat, the chain stays went down to the keel. I was on long Island Sound, one of the most treacherous places in the U.S. and a Squall was coming up from the N.Y.C end. It looked like a dark blue wall, moving at 60 mph towards us. The boat had roller furling so I was able to bring in the 150 Genoa, but the main sail had to be brought down manually, I did that as fast as I could. I instructed to owner to turn on the engine and point the boat into the wind. It broached (sideways into the wind, pushing sideways) She kind of freaked out, and it being a Yanmar 3 cyl. Diesel, she wasn't letting the glow plugs get hot enough, and kept turning the engine over.

We lost control of the boat. I jumped behind the wheel, let the glow plugs warm up (a light comes on when they are ready) and got the engine to fire. We, at that point, were about 150 feet from the Stamford Harbor breakwater. The boat was sides ways and it broached. Thank God everything was battened down, as water came into the cockpit, and side of the boat It lay down on it's side. ripping the main sail to shreds, I had enough engine authority to power into the wind, the boat righted itself and 5 minutes later it was Sunny again.

We limped into harbor. It cost her $6000 dollars to replace the sail, she opted for a high performance one. That's what I about this person, if you handed her Lemons, she made Lemonade. She thanked me for taking over the boat, and barking out orders.

I have much respect for water.

Comment

Kinda the same???

A woman in Massachusetts who had been missing for a week was found Monday stuck in the mud at a state park, police said.

Comment

Working...
                      X