Iron Air Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron Air Batteries

Has anyone read or heard about this? They can store massive amounts of energy. They couldn't power a laptop, but could power a city. Very interesting read.

To replace lithium, alternatives are being developed around the world, such as iron-air batteries, whose commercial production will begin in the US in 2024

I was aware that iron has been among the most promising new storage technologies but did not realize it is that close to commercial development. If they can start pumping these things out next year it will change a whole bunch of feasibility and cost/benefit equations.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I had heard of it also, but like you, I didn't know that they were ready to start production. The storage capability of these "batteries" is enormous.

Comment

I knew people were working on new battery technology feverishly , but I never thought anything of it, until now..thanks lol

Only down side I read about Iron air batteries was slow charge rate , some article said efficiency rate was low, another article said efficiency rate is good and safe compared to other air batteries combinations.

also reading about "washing machine size battery"
        what's that residential use??

It's become interesting to me, one because it seems everything is going battery, and because I've found out about other batteries beside Iron air batteries also.

And looking at youtube videos as much as i tend to do sometimes, ive never seen a video on iron air batteries, before now!

Just curious, what form or use
        do you think this will be promoted and sold as?

Or is it to early to say.

Comment

So, all that rust on our GS bikes is just the old R/R storing charge in the wrong place?
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Don't get too excited, they've been playing with these since the 70's. They have yet to put a bank on line on make some real world testing.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I've wondered about using lithium batteries. I've been using AGM for years but wonder if lithium would hold up better to the abuse. The battery warmup time this article mentions would be a problem. Anyone running one?

Let’s take a moment to acknowledge the lead-acid battery.Invented in 1859, the first rechargeable battery has been honed to an extremely high state of tune.In fact, it is so ubiquitous that almost every gasoline-powered motor vehicle on the planet uses them to start their engines.

Comment

The batteries in my most expensive drone I've found to be kinda interesting, sure they're nothing new.

But they are Lithium-Ion Polymer and they are called smart batteries, if I don't use them for a week they start draining themselves to a certain level.

I've had to download upgrades and insert each battery so the battery could also receive upgrade

Plus the charger for multiple batteries operation is kinda neat.

it holds three batteries and charges the battery with most charge first, and the next.

I like that, get a fully charged battery the quickest way, plus it shows what state of charge is in all batteries.

And they really are amazing, lot of hours and lots a charge cycles and so far show no sign of loss of duration of usage.

Comment

Last winter I found a smashed battery jump start box near a boat ramp, my guess was someone forgot to stow it away when they hooked up their boat and left. Inside where three 14ah LiPo cells fully charged! After figuring out exactly what I had I ordered up a charge control board for it, it charges off the bike battery when it's running, needs to be up to 13v to work ($3 control board off eBay) It's used as a backup in the tent for charging my phones, lights, air mattress pump and occasionally a 100w inverter. It's a lot of energy in a small package that's for sure.
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                  1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                  LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

As these batteries can hold charges for 100's of hours, series-parallel circuits would allow a windmill or sun panels to store all the energy they make, and that energy could be recovered over a grid, without using rare earth minerals, frankly, there's nothing about them that is polluting. Their ability to release the energy compares with the towers that raise cement blocks using the Sun or Wind power, and lowering the blocks generates electricity around 85% or more efficient. They operate on that kind of efficient level. You would think a new Sky Scraper could incorporate this into their designs and generate electricity to at least run the buildings needs.

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                      Last winter I found a smashed battery jump start box near a boat ramp, my guess was someone forgot to stow it away when they hooked up their boat and left. Inside where three 14ah LiPo cells fully charged! After figuring out exactly what I had I ordered up a charge control board for it, it charges off the bike battery when it's running, needs to be up to 13v to work ($3 control board off eBay) It's used as a backup in the tent for charging my phones, lights, air mattress pump and occasionally a 100w inverter. It's a lot of energy in a small package that's for sure.
                      Shop guys at work had a cheap one , after six months it was dropped. I think it worked but since it had a cracked case they went and bought a high dollar one.
                      but forever they kept the busted one charged and for a while they used it to jump Start a little riding mower instead of fixing the mower
                      then one day they threw it away, if id known they was gonna throw it away I would have took it home and wrapped it gorilla tape!

Comment

Plastic Welding works great. Once you get a set up, you would be amazed at stuff that was once junk, but no longer is.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
                          Plastic Welding works great. Once you get a set up, you would be amazed at stuff that was once junk, but no longer is.
                          Friend of mine is over the road truck driver and he decided to Start his own trucking company.
                          He wanted to stay local, so he bought two used sterling dump trucks, mainly because they had power train he wanted.

He soon found out that the plastic dash in both trucks was breaking and falling about.

he looked into ordering new dash components, but backorder and near impossible.

So he started plastic welding the dash on the trucks, it looked horrible and it never ended but he kept it together.

he traded them both off after having them three years...
                          only time I've seen plastic welding.

cept when I was a kid, we used to get these plastic sleds and battle one another going down a hill in winter
                          we'd get cracks in the plastic sleds, we'd use a propane torch and heat up butter knifes
                          And melt the plastic with the hot knifes to mend cracks...LOL.

Comment

The guy I buy my Subaru Cars from makes a lot of money repairing Plastic Fender covers, dashboards, anything plastic. He comes in from the backside. Sometimes, fine steel mesh will strengthen the fix. He then fills in, if needed, mostly he's sanding down the fill, and paints the bumpers. They look new. The fixes do not break. He showed me a repair, flexing the heck out of it. The new plastic welding kits, that come with the different types of plastic rods, and heat settings for each one are money makers.

Comment

Working...
                            X