• Show
Clear All

Those are awesome bikes! Congrats!!!
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

I scooped a 2004 ZRX1200 fall before last, found it through a friend of an acquaintance. It had been sitting for 11 years inside a garage, had low tires, and looked light brown in colour...otherwise, pretty straight and complete. Made an offer, rediculously low, and was accepted. Loaded it onto my trailer, and drove home in the rain.

When I got home, the trailer contained a bright red example, washed pretty clean in the rain. Unloaded, and spent some time cleaning it up, pumping up the tires, oil change, and a fresh battery.. Splashed a bit of fresh fuel into the tank. All the electrical bits seemed to work, so pushed the starter button, no choke. The darn thing fired right up, and idled smoothly.

Took it for a putt up the street, and everything function well, lots of power, silky shifting. However, no centre stand. Tried some generic rear paddock stands, but could not get the bike up on them....spools are located on the lower section of the swing arm, and leverage is huge. Hmmm, this is a deal-breaker, to my world.

Rode up the street a couple more times over the next few days, but still coild not get past that centre stand issue. Decided to sell before I fell in love with the bike (dang, nice bike).

Advertised on FB one Saturday morning, and within 3 hours, a fellow from 2.5 hours away was loading it onto his pickup, for triple what I paid. Many other calls while I was waiting for caller number one to arrive.

Still regret, but I still had four other bikes in the shed to ride and fiddle with. If I was younger, maybe I'd still have the Rex.

Comment

I'm with you dog, back in post # 2 I said the missing center stand was kind'f a minor thing.... I don't know why I told that lie, it's a heck of a big deal...I Would really like to put my Yosh pipe back on my "83" GS1100E, but the not being able to retain the center stand is why I took it off and put the the V & H on anyway... I think the Mfg's are teaching younger riders they don't need them. If they never have one they won't miss it.. I've always had one and really miss it bad.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I love those bikes. Almost bought a new 1200 the Coquitlam B.C. dealer was blowing out but of course it wasn't green so I passed on it. I passed on used green ones a few times over the years. Pretty sure I'll buy one sooner or later though.
          1986 1150EF
          2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

The Lawson green were for me, by far the prettiest and most popular. Only one I've seen that wasn't green was a red one, thought at first I was seeing an old GPZ till a closer look revealed a ZRX. Also, just say'in, back in post 16, "it is indeed an Eddy Lawson Replica". Not that it matters, but thinking the Eddie Lawson Replicas ( KZ1000R's) were made back in "82" and "83", I think the newer bikes are just bikes with paint jobs that look like the Eddie Lawson Replica. Even the new Z900RS has this paint job... Wonder which color ZRX would be the rarest?
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              Even the new Z900RS has this paint job...
              Isn't Kawasaki making new (liquid cooled) '900' bikes that look very much like the original 903 Z1s? Specifically, the (1975) Z1B? I think it's maroon.

Those "Eddie Lawson" KZ1000s sell for a lot of money.

1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Yes, close rob. The Z900RS "Cafe" comes in the Eddie Lawson colors. The Z900RS comes in the "73" Kawa, root beer and orange and the (I think) "75" Kawa dark green and yellow. No doubt if I were looking for a new bike, that Z900RS would definitely the first I'd look at. One of the members here got one a yr. or so ago.

Comment

Here is my 2022 Z900rs dressed in 1974 colors.
                  I get asked all the time. "What year is it"
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                    ..."73" Kawa, root beer and orange...
                    I owned one, a genuine widow maker. I bought it in 1979 from the 26 year old widow of my cousin's best friend. My cousin saw his friend die in his mirrors; the dead man's little brother was bringing up the rear and saw the accident right in front of his eyes.

Who can say what caused it? A handful of that South Jersey sandy soil? For years, I resisted removing the few grains of it that sat behind the cylinders. And I felt a little weird when I discovered a half pack of cigarettes deep in the Windjammer S/S. I recall thinking, as I handed over the money and took possession of the Z from the very pretty young girl, that she didn't seem sad enough for someone who lost their spouse just 2 weeks earlier.

A year later, my cousin told me that she had left her husband the night before the accident, and that his friend, rest in peace, was riding more aggressively than usual that day.

I never learned his name and didn't know what he looked like, but I always tried to honor his memory. You may "meet the nicest people on a Honda," but with Kawasaki...all bets are off.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Love the nostalgic looking stuff. When I saw that red ZRX, I thought for sure it was an old GPZ. Storm, how bout a little review since you've got some miles on the 900RS. I think I'd love those bikes, unless there's something I've not heard about.

Comment

Sorry if I'm reviving this thread in wrong context.

But I've noticed looking at craigslist and a few other outlets lately that if ya got $2500-$3500 there are some decent bikes for sale.

Some suzukis some not.

Seen one of those inline six cylinder Hondas from way back listed at $28,000

Comment

Working...
                        X