A true story about cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A true story about cats

This lengthy story from Bloomberg is not about animals, as the "cats" are catalytic converters.

Well worth reading.

"If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Something has to be done, I've herd stories about people dying while stealing cats.

Comment

Writing was a little sloppy but that was a crazy read. Didn't know it was getting that bad. I drive a Prius so it may be only a matter of time before mine gets an involuntary straight-pipe conversion thanks to some dopehead.

It doesn't seem like it would be impossible to crack down on this, if anyone cared enough. There are lots of obvious solutions that, while they certainly would not outright stop all cat theft, would at least make it a hell of a lot harder. Like making the cats difficult to steal off the car in the first place. Stamp the car's VIN on the cat at the time of manufacture. Require licensing, ID verification, and record-keeping for buying and selling used cats. Etc.

Insurance companies are second to none at lobbying congress-critters for laws that improve their bottom line, how are they not all over this already?
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
        Stamp the car's VIN on ?
        Little off topic. Friend of mine bought this old 78-79? Camaro with t-tops.

One day his t-tops came up missing,stolen.

My friend lived I central Illinois amd reached out to local salvage yard, in a few days they located some used t-tops at a place in Chicago,
        they had a delivery going there. So their driver picked them up and brought them back.

Guess what, they were my friends t'tops, vin inscribed in the glass, whole thing seemed questionable to me.

Police were notified, but nothing came if it.

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post

Little off topic. Friend of mine bought this old 78-79? Camaro with t-tops.

One day his t-tops came up missing,stolen.

My friend lived I central Illinois amd reached out to local salvage yard, in a few days they located some used t-tops at a place in Chicago,
          they had a delivery going there. So their driver picked them up and brought them back.

Guess what, they were my friends t'tops, vin inscribed in the glass, whole thing seemed questionable to me.

Police were notified, but nothing came if it.
          1990 my future wife and I were at the mall getting fitted for a tux for a friends wedding. We were in her 1989 Pontiac Formula that she bought the previous year. White, red interior six speed. When we came out it was gone. Found it a couple of weeks later without the T-Tops, sway bars and the wheels had been swapped for standard Firebird wheels....Lol, someone just wanted a little upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post

1990 my future wife and I were at the mall getting fitted for a tux for a friends wedding. We were in her 1989 Pontiac Formula that she bought the previous year. White, red interior six speed. When we came out it was gone. Found it a couple of weeks later without the T-Tops, sway bars and the wheels had been swapped for standard Firebird wheels....Lol, someone just wanted a little upgrade.
            Way back ,when I still lived in illinois I kept some aftermarket wheels for my 5.0 mustang in shed with lawn mower.

Neighbor had a mustang, he ask several times if I wanted to sell them, but I didn't, was waiting to fix car up and get nice tires.

Well one day he moves away, same day I find shed broken into and my wheels are gone.

Took me a awhile but with help of friends and couple landlords found this guy had moved to a town about fifty miles away.

Don't want to incriminate friends or myself...LOL

I got my wheels back, and whatta ya know....they actually had grew some tires on them when i got them back.

Comment

Working...
            X