Cooking Down the Highway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking Down the Highway

Cooking down the highway, has anyone done it?
    As in using the heat from your motorcycle (or automobile) to cook or warm up food as you're traveling.

Being the Fourth of July holiday, not many restaurants will be open.
    That gave me a idea. Let's pack a picnic lunch and hit the road.

My plan is wrap some sliced steak with peppers and onion, a little cheese in some foil.
    I'll find a warm place on the motorcycle to place on the steak in, and go!
    Since I'm just warming up the food and not actually cooking it, what could go wrong?
    I think it will be fun.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

It's all wrapped up and I'm ready to go... more pictures and results later.
    My Motorcycles:
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)

Comment

Its been so hot here (for MN) Id rather have a cold lunch. Not sure how long a popsicle would last........
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Not much on a motorcycle, but have warmed up stuff in work truck, couple pieces of pizza wrapped up .lol

Co worker put a can (beanie weenie,I think?) of something on engine of backhoe he was running...I heard it exploded?

Comment

Well, I'd say it was a success!

I wedge the foil tin right behind the exhaust down tube. I rode for 20 minutes.

I couldn't find a convenient place to pull over. I was getting nervous I was going to burn it up.
          Once stopped, I pull it out. Not overly hot, but the cheese was melted. It probably could have went another 10-20 miles.

Next, I'm thinking Meatloaf or Spaghetti...

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          My Motorcycles:
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)

Comment

Melted cheese near your engine...what could go wrong?
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Hey Norm, Looks pretty good! Are you doing delivery? Where can I find the menu?
              Last edited by 1978GS750E; 07-04-2023, 05:04 PM.
              Ron
              When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
              1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
              1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
              1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Looks GOOD! I'd imagine, behind the engine would be warmer. Just gotta have leakproof carbs!
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Had to search it...LOL
                  Screenshot_20230704_174157_YouTube.jpg

Gordon Ramsey ???sea bass??

Comment

There used to be an ex-army (WWII) bloke in London who worked on and off as a despatch rider for decades. He had a heater pot arranged in the muffler section so that the exhaust gases would heat (and cook) his lunch by the time he'd done a morning stint. Worked well for years, by all accounts.
                    I've cooked fish in tinfoil (because it's the easiest) on the flat upper surface of Pinto exhaust manifold, and did burgers later.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                    X