Spent the past five days in Banff and Canmore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spent the past five days in Banff and Canmore

I'll be making these places an annual trip. Beautiful beyond description, friendly people from everywhere in the Commonwealth, fantastic food, great beer and cider.

Flew into Calgary with a friend, rented a car (got a Ram 1500 with the Hemi because Budget screwed up).

Drove to Banff, bought a five day permit. Had dinner in town at Magpie & Stump. Crazy as it is, their Mexican fare is as good as what we have in Arizona.

Next day, had breakfast at the resort, then drove the Icefields Parkway. Went to Canmore (Grizzly Paw) for lunch and beers. Wandered around Canmore for a bit before going to look at the hoodoos outside Banff.

Next day, had breakfast in Banff before doing the Tunnel Mountain Summit. Dinner in Banff at the Saltlik.

Next morning, got up at 3 am, drove to get a shuttle out to Moraine Lake, where we went to the Rockpile for sunrise before wandering the shore trail. The shuttle driver warned us to be on the lookout for Grizzlies-and we freaking saw a mother and her cubs as we were leaving! Bear 142, from what we could deduce. She came within 20 feet of the truck as I was driving out. Sight of a lifetime! Had late lunch/early dinner at The Canadian Brewhouse in Banff. One of the cutest, most wonderful servers I've ever seen (from Sydney) took care of us.

That night, we took the gondola up Sulphur Mountain and had dinner at the Sky Bistro. Views were beyond stunning. Service top notch.

Last day, had breakfast at the resort, then drove to Canmore to sightsee and have beers at Canmore Brewing. That night, headed in to Banff for dinner and beers at Three Bears.

Got up this morning, did Silverton Falls before grabbing lunch in Calgary at the airport and flying home,

It is amazing that a three hour flight can get one from the 115 degree desert of Arizona to 65 degree alpine towns that look like they belong in Switzerland.

I will be back.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Pics or it didn’t happen.

Sounds amazing, will add to the list of places I'd like to travel to.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-06-2023, 07:57 AM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Have fun Mason .......

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Mason, glad you had a great time almost in my neighborhood. Yes, beautiful part of the country. If you looked almost due south about a hundred miles from Sulpher Mountain you can see our house. ....well almost. I moved to the area 45 years ago for a 2 year assignment and quit my job to stay. After all those years I still marvel at the mountains and river valleys.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          Pics or it didn’t happen.

Sounds amazing, will add to the list of places I'd like to travel to.
          Here are a few.
          Banff1.jpg
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Moraine Lake just after sunrise
            Banff3.jpg
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

A mother grizzly whom we think is Bear 142
              Banff2.jpg
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Great Pics. Thanks for sharing.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post

Here are a few.
                  Banff1.jpg
                  Great shot, great find. The railway track in your shot is known as Morant's corner. Probably one of the most photographed piece of track in North American.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Nice pics of nice scenes.

tell us about a bear with a number.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Nice pics of nice scenes.

tell us about a bear with a number.

All the bears there have numbers to identify them for conservation and husbandry purposes. Bear 122, for example, is a 700 pound male called "The Boss." Along with Bear 136, "Split Lip," he pretty much dominates the landscape, even eating other adult bears (mostly black bears, but occasionally, grizzlies). Bear 142 is a medium sized 13 year-old female who has had cubs with 136 and 122, and who has punched holes in campers' tents a few times.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Some local people I know are up there right now, did the Ice Fields tour today. They are on Motorcycles.
                        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                          Some local people I know are up there right now, did the Ice Fields tour today. They are on Motorcycles.
                          The weather was exceptional while we were there. Mid-60's to low 70's. Clear skies save for the last day, when it rained a bit.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Glad you enjoyed it. It's funny but for us locals I usually haul butt through there and don't stop when going over to Alberta. It's funny how you can take things for granted.
                            1986 1150EF
                            2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Originally posted by Big Block View Post
                              Glad you enjoyed it. It's funny but for us locals I usually haul butt through there and don't stop when going over to Alberta. It's funny how you can take things for granted.
                              Funny you would say that. I wondered aloud at one point whether locals were possibly so used to the stunning scenery that they don't notice it. I think Banff and Canmore are perfect places.
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X