Facebook Marketplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facebook Marketplace

Perhaps I am easily entertained but this guy listed his home made camper 3 weeks ago for $3200. No takers, this week he cut the price to $1800. One of the features is a "pull out toilet", wondering what that might be I scrolled through the pics. Other than this "feature", it has no title since it was built from scratch. What could possibly go wrong......

Pull out toilet by Scott Marvin, on Flickr
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

I wonder if that bucket has a bottom, or a hole just through the floor, and is intended for use "in transit" I wonder why he didn't just spring for a removable one that has wheels and you take to the "dump station" to empty. They come in different capacities. I think they are gross, but if I had that unit, I throw it away after each "fill". I have a motorhome with a Thetford Toilet, and to be honest, even when set up correctly, it's a thankless job. I try like heck not to use it, but always make sure their is water and the "Bluff Stuff" enzyme in there to the driving around keeps it clean.

This is probably the best unit on the market, and can turn a van into a real camper. I don't like the composting toilets as they are always dirty and stink. I've never owned one, but every camper that I've been in that has one stinks, the owners always say 'You can't even smell it". Well, you can. The one below actually flushes and seals the holding tank from the toilet, and carries water to flush. The bottom of the unit comes apart, and is easy to evacuate.

https://www.amazon.com/Porta-Potti-White-Thetford-Corp/dp/B07CKR3VYT/ref=as_li_ss_tl?dchild=1&keywords=Thetford+Porta+P otti&qid=1607371428&sr=8-2&linkCode=sl1&tag=twowansoltrab-20&linkId=0d3134a42fc139487bb69b11801a3eff&langua g e=en_US

Thetford PortaPotty.jpg
    Last edited by Suzukian; 07-23-2023, 04:49 AM.

Comment

<windy country road>
      "What's that smell?"
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
        <windy country road>
        "What's that smell?"

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
          Perhaps I am easily entertained but this guy listed his home made camper 3 weeks ago for $3200. No takers, this week he cut the price to $1800. r
          I can't really fault people for trying...LOL

Some have no idea and think their stuff is a lot more valuable than it really is...not saying the camper isn't in this case.

But I can't blame them , some folks obviously just want to buy stuff.

Older friend of mine, has a 23 year old son who somehow got hooked up with a few realtors and some "slum" lords to do what he calls "clean outs"
          Renter moves out and leaves a mess, and a bunch of trash, they hire this 23 year old to haul away what's left and clean up the place.

This 23 year old has a full time job but stays busy many nights and weekends doing "clean outs"

He gets to keep whatever he wants, sometimes its decent washers and dryers, furniture.

i was at his house a while back, his mother in law was complaining about all the junk he was accumulating.
          the mother in law put some stuff on marketplace and in a matter of minutes, like fifteen...people were coming and buying thus stuff
          .. I couldn't believe it, this one beat up dresser missing a few drawers, spray painted like graffiti. Some lady gave $40 bucks for it???

old nasty pots and pans, eating utensils, sold.
          two old bbq grills. Sold.

that's when I started thinking about putting some junk on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            <windy country road>
            "What's that smell?"
            Lynyrd Skynyrd - That SmellRecorded Live: 7/13/1977 - Convention Hall - Asbury Park, NJMore Lynyrd Skynyrd at Music Vault: http://www.musicvault.comSubscribe...

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
            80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I knew a guy who wanted $200 bucks for a pile of parts. The other guys there had offered him a case of Beer. I paid him $200 bucks, he loaded it onto my Subaru Legacy. The rear bumper was nearly touching the ground. It was a disassembled Table Top "Smithy" like Milling Machine, but heavier duty. He called me up later and asked me if I wanted the rest of the stuff. I said "Yes". I ended up with boxes of end mills, drills, center drills, a, 2",3",4", and 5" set of Starret Micrometers. Two Dial Indicators that read at .0001" of an inch, and two that read in .001" of an inch. Two test indicators that read in .001", a rotary milling table, and a Hilma Indexing head. All for $200 bucks. He told me I was the only honest guy down there. I also got all the Collets for the Milling machine. I told him if I had know for sure what all that stuff was, I would have told him it was worth far more. He was going to throw the pile in his backyard. It would all have been lost within one day from surface rust. He told me that the guy used to use it to make gears for his racing Porsche, he got divorced, and the wife wanted it out o f the house that day. The machine is incredibly tight, it hasn't seen much use. I really lucked out.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has rigged it up to their bike yet.

Somebody here recently asked, "Who here has not taken a leak while riding in a downpour?"

I have not done that. Never even occurred to me till it was brought up here. Thanks for putting that image in my head.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

Somebody here recently asked, "Who here has not taken a leak while riding in a downpour?"

I have not done that. Never even occurred to me till it was brought up here. Thanks for putting that image in my head.

Comment

That's different. That was a matter of survival.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

You guys can laugh all you want about a five gallon bucket with a toilet seat on it but if go back country camping with a less-than-outdoorsy girly-girl you know how well those can add to the tranquility of that adventure!
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Just a standard dry toilet for unheated winter construction sites. meow
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                          I'm surprised no one has rigged it up to their bike yet.

Geese, I've never even thought of doing that. Next level will be taking "How to take a "dump" without stopping or getting off your motorcycle. Maybe that what's those weird pants with the wide wings at the knees were for. The ones below are even brown! I hoped they were tanned.

Toilet pants.jpg

Comment

Some of those are set-up as composting toilets & some are just a hook for some kind of lined bag (like a diaper bag). You do the business and then tie a knot in it & put a new one in.... Cheaper & I guess less maintenance needed perhaps than the real ones!
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                              Some of those are set-up as composting toilets & some are just a hook for some kind of lined bag (like a diaper bag). You do the business and then tie a knot in it & put a new one in.... Cheaper & I guess less maintenance needed perhaps than the real ones!
                              My lady friend who's tagging along with me has one in her tent. She uses it unlined and dumps it out in the outhouse unless of course it's something solid, then it gets lined with a plastic shopping store bag and thrown in the trash.
                              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                              X