I want to park my landline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dpep View Post
    My landline phone number is currently bundled with internet provided by AT&T which I am getting ready to drop because I have gone with IQFiber. I never actually use that line but I have had the number for over 40 years now and do not want to relinquish it totally just yet.

I am looking to park the number with a service that will juse record voicemails. From searching the interwebs it appears that service is available for somewhere in the $5-10 / mo range. Names that came up included parkmyphone.com, unitelvoice.com, and numberbarn.com.

Before going further I wanted to check with our national GSR panel of experts on just about anything you can think of. I know someone here has done this already and learned something in the process that I would do good to know.

You can park a landline with Google Voice. May be a one time fee. I’ve had Google Voice for a long time. It serves me well. No landline. Gave it up decades ago.
    EULC ON

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
      Ooma is a one time fee of $39.95, is that right?
      Basically, you buy the hardware. Monthly fee will depend on options. In my case, it's the tax, about $5/mo.

With the only rotary phones, banks and such would remove the dial on their internal phones to prevent using them outside the building. But it was easy enough to pound out the numbers on the hang up button.

Comment

I had a friend growing up that still had a party line.

Comment

Originally posted by gsbill View Post

You can park a landline with Google Voice. May be a one time fee. I’ve had Google Voice for a long time. It serves me well. No landline. Gave it up decades ago.
          What function does that include? Does it receive calls straight to voice mail?
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post

What function does that include? Does it receive calls straight to voice mail?
            Calls and text messages go to your Google voice number. No need to answer or monitor the number unless you want to. You ll see voicemail, spam and text message drop down boxes. You can forward calls to any number you chose. I use my GV for most forms. Doctors. Online. Etc or whatever to protect my privacy. I’m simply known by my Google account user name.

You ll need to link it to a real phone number. I did that a long time ago then turned off the linked number. Google has no clue.
            EULC ON

Comment

I've had an Ooma line for at least a dozen years (actually I have their office line with the virtual secretary etc etc at work too). The basic service is free once you buy the hardware. It needs plugging into a router. From memory it costs me about $7 in fees/taxes a month. Might be less over your way... probably less tax!

The box has an answer machine on it. You may not even need the box you plug in these days, you might be able to do it all through the "app" on your cell phone...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

It should work through WiFi. Google let's you store up to 6 lines/numbers.

Comment

Working...
                X