What actually happens in a crash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What actually happens in a crash?

Most people know only a few of the factors involved and are often willing to ignore any or all of them.

This article explains the anatomy of a car crash.......you can add a few extra damage points for a motorcyclist who has none of the protection offered by a closed vehicle.

"If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

I know what happens in a crash
    No signature

Comment

This....
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
        This....
        Been there, done that. LOL 65 mph into the air, over the car I hit and two lanes of oncoming traffic, landed on my head in the ditch beside the highway. Walked away, not a scratch.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I see, so the secret to surviving a motorcycle crash is to immediately do a cartwheel when you're thrown off. Got it. Filing that away for future use...
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
            I see, so the secret to surviving a motorcycle crash is to immediately do a cartwheel when you're thrown off. Got it. Filing that away for future use...
            What happens is that you have no time to go anywhere else, only time to chop the throttle, and max the brakes. That doesn't stop you and you see you're going to slam into the car. Reflex is to lock your elbows and brace for the impact. You hit the car and get vaulted head down, feet straight up. and backwards in a full length hand stand, flipping end over end. I saw ground sky, ground sky about 6 or eight times in extremely quick cycles. If you're lucky, on your last rotation, you meet the ground with your feet touching first and running. LOL
            Last edited by earlfor; 08-09-2023, 09:41 PM.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The last time I laid the bike down, going really fast, it felt as though I was falling down a skyscraper building, but kept bouncing into the building (gravity is a really weird thing). I was fully geared up, with extremities tucked in, when I felt myself start to roll, I was able to tap the ground with my hands and stay sliding on my but, my heels caught, and I found myself running faster than I think is humanely possible. I finally was able to slow down, I remembered while I was running that road racing track athletes pound their feet to get into the air, and I did that, which made be bounce, but slowed me down a lot, as I was not trying to run faster, I was trying to slow down.

When I finally stopped, a guy pulled up behind me, helped me stand up my CB400F, it was still idling. He said to me, "I have never seen anybody anywhere run so fast in my life". I told him I was trying to slow down.

I don't think I could ever repeat that, it was just something that turned on that way. My bike had the foot pegs, signal lights on the left side, and the clip on handlebars scraped and the left side turned in a bit, but nothing else wrong with it. My jeans were worn on the lower back side. I always just think, don't get tangled up with the bike. I haven't laid a bike down many times. Had some really close calls, but in the times I did lay down, each experience was different. I think it all depends on a lot of circumstances. Being dressed is the best thing you can do to prepare for it. IMHO.

Comment

This just showed up in suggestions on youtube.
                I've read the comments below video, crash is around the 12:00 ? Minute mark

Comment

"Charity" run...how I hate those. A bunch of tattooed Harley riders. The narrator himself states that they were running "really tight." You can see the left side riders running over the yellow line into the oncoming lane many times.

The accident may have been caused by the lady turning in front of them, but it was surely exacerbated by their "tight" formation.

Riding two to a lane...how mentally retarded.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

That charity motorcycle run took place in my hometown. I actually went by the accident location yesterday. I wanted to stop by the police station to ask who got cited.
                    My take on it.
                    The car that supposedly caused the accident was way into the driveway before the accident took place. I think if the motorcycle would not have hit his brakes nothing would have happened. I think he hit his brakes because the car was disrupting the "chain" and he was mad about that. The accident was way passed the driveway. The three wheeler was way to close to the motorcycle, he didn't think the motorcycle was going to hit his brakes.
                    If the motorcycle would have had to hit his brakes because of the car pulling in front of him, wouldn't the accident be much closer to the driveway? I think the three wheeler should have got the ticket.
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                      That charity motorcycle run took place in my hometown. I actually went by the accident location yesterday. I wanted to stop by the police station to ask who got cited.
                      My take on it.
                      The car that supposedly caused the accident was way into the driveway before the accident took place. I think if the motorcycle would not have hit his brakes nothing would have happened. I think he hit his brakes because the car was disrupting the "chain" and he was mad about that. The accident was way passed the driveway. The three wheeler was way to close to the motorcycle, he didn't think the motorcycle was going to hit his brakes.
                      If the motorcycle would have had to hit his brakes because of the car pulling in front of him, wouldn't the accident be much closer to the driveway? I think the three wheeler should have got the ticket.
                      And wouldn't the lady's car have been hit?
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                        "Charity" run...how I hate those. A bunch of tattooed Harley riders. The narrator himself states that they were running "really tight." You can see the left side riders running over the yellow line into the oncoming lane many times.

The accident may have been caused by the lady turning in front of them, but it was surely exacerbated by their "tight" formation.

Riding two to a lane...how mentally retarded.
                        That's why I mentioned reading the comments below the video, several posting same thing. The timing of the whole thing seemed odd to me,

why I chose to ride alone, or with someone I knew had some experience.

Years ago friend decided he wanted to be a badarse outlaw biker, got himself a Yamaha v-star 650 , took off everything he could that suggested it was a Yamaha and put a bunch of jack Daniel stuff on it , and joined a local bike club? Lot of people in that club.

this was all at the end of what I think was the big motorcycle American chopper, biker build off fad that seen a lot of people get into motorcycles.

I was invited ,,
                        I rode with them to a event at a mid missouri harley dealer. Only fifty or so of the clubs members rode.

I felt some should have parked bike and called for a ride home...at one I-70 off ramp two separate wrecks....motorcycle to motorcycle wrecks...small scuff and scraps one messed up ankle and scratched up new motorcycle and few busted turn signals..

I bet most of them quit riding after the fad was over...few top guys had run in with the law..so group is no longer..

Comment

Not really a crash, but just wanna know what y'all think.

Comment

Tapping phone screen in stop go traffic whilst moaning about inattention - Strike One
                            Giving finger to Neanderthal in 2500 kg truck - Strike Two
                            Engaging in conversation with Neanderthal - Strike Three
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Two a-holes. Nothing more. Playing with a phone while riding.

Comment

Working...
                              X