Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robbie Robertson RIP

First Gordon Lightfoot and now Robbie..
    I would say that the Band is my favorite band of all time. Four Canadians and one American. In fact where i grew up in SW Ontario, the four Canadians, Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, Garth Hudson and Richard Manual all grew up in a 30 mile radius from me. Hard to believe that four Canadians from small towns in Ontario would change the American music landscape so dramatically...
    My buddies all tease me because at my Friday safety meetings I will put the Last Waltz on all the time....often stopping it to explain background information...There is no music I know more about than The Band's music.
    You can bet that The Last Waltz will be playing at my place tomorrow. My friends will be expecting it.

The world still listens to these songs to hear echoes of that friendship, one that we fantasize about, dreaming our way into that story and that spirit and that basement. In Robbie Robertson’s songs and guitar, we hear a communal spirit that we all wish we could live up to. The painful resonance in the music is that it wasn’t easy for anyone to live up to—not even the band who made it.

“In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that donations be made to the Six Nations of the Grand River to support the building of their new cultural centre.”

This id one of my favorite songs...

Martin Scorsese: “Robbie Robertson was one of my closest friends, a constant in my life and my work. I could always go to him as a confidante. A collaborator. An advisor. I tried to be the same for him. Long before we ever met, his music played a central role in my life—me and millions and millions of other people all over this world. The Band’s music, and Robbie’s own later solo music, seemed to come from the deepest place at the heart of this continent, its traditions and tragedies and joys. It goes without saying that he was a giant, that his effect on the art form was profound and lasting. There’s never enough time with anyone you love. And I loved Robbie.”​
    No signature

Trevor, thanks for posting this.
    I had no idea that the Band were Canadians.
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
      Trevor, thanks for posting this.
      I had no idea that the Band were Canadians.
      You’re welcome my friend
      No signature

Comment

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
            Yeah Don, that’s a good one!
            No signature

Comment

That’s a good one too! Richard Manual’s voice had so much soul.
              No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post

That’s a good one too! Richard Manual’s voice had so much soul.
                Yes indeed. My teenage son 'clicked' with my old man music one day, as he often has done, and adopted them and learned 3x of what I know about them in weeks. I always liked Rick Danko's herky-jerky style too. 3 great lead singers and players.
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I played his 1987 solo album in its entirety last night in his honor. These deaths are like black holes in the universe: We cannot replace the light they shed on humanity.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post

Yes indeed. My teenage son 'clicked' with my old man music one day, as he often has done, and adopted them and learned 3x of what I know about them in weeks. I always liked Rick Danko's herky-jerky style too. 3 great lead singers and players.
                    Yes my son has realized his old man’s music ain’t too bad either lol
                    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                      I played his 1987 solo album in its entirety last night in his honor. These deaths are like black holes in the universe: We cannot replace the light they shed on humanity.
                      Oh man Mason can I ever relate to that!
                      I will go down The Band hole tomorrow night for sure and I’m sure shed a few tears ❤️
                      Last edited by trevor; 08-11-2023, 09:31 AM.
                      No signature

Comment

The stories come back like how his wife yelled at him to quiet down so she could get the baby to sleep and he had 'the night they drove old dixie down' written in half an hour or agreeing to go along with Garth telling his Mom they were getting music lessons from Garth
                        Manuel's death hit him a lot I think. I'm drawing comparisons with Dave Gilmour and Syd Barrett.
                        97 R1100R
                        Previous
                        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Eric Clapton broke up Cream after listening to Music From The Big Pink....he wanted to join them but was to embarrassed/intimidated to ask....

"I was given an acetate of Big Pink back in England and it shook me to the core. I was in Cream at the time with already the notion that it wasn't going in the right direction, and I thought, well this is what it is. I knew who Robbie Robertson was but I didn't realize that was their group. I thought they just appeared. I thought they were all from the Mississippi Delta.
                          "They were magnificent heroes for me," Clapton said. "And so I went up to jam with them, and it's [the] same sort of thing that happened with the Aretha [Franklin] sessions: I show up with all this paraphernalia on, the guys are all in work clothes, and I thought, well, are we going to jam? They said, 'We don't jam, we write songs and play the songs.' ... I thought, my God, these guys are real serious.
                          "They were craftsmen, and they got it right," Clapton said. "Everything went on that record when it was right. Robbie is still a dear friend — I will see him soon — and that changed my life." - Eric Clapton.​
                          No signature

Comment

One of my favorites since 1970 .. have(had) an original album, but no idea where that may be now. RIP Robbie. You will be missed.
                            1981 Honda CX500 Custom (Sold)
                            1982 Honda GL1100 Standard (Sold)
                            1958 Nash Metropolitan (Hoping to sell)

Comment

Trevor, they were my favorite band, too. Saw them in 1970 and again in 1974. They played better than any other band.
                              "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Working...
                              X