Cal. floods worst in 84 yrs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cal. floods worst in 84 yrs.

Yep, hate it for those folks, certainly something the aren't accustomed to, worst they've had in 84 yrs. I've heard the media mention several times what is causing this one, I've been listening but so far I've not heard the reason for that one 84 yrs. ago yet, I think it would be interesting to know.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
    Yep, hate it for those folks, certainly something the aren't accustomed to, worst they've had in 84 yrs. I've heard the media mention several times what is causing this one, I've been listening but so far I've not heard the reason for that one 84 yrs. ago yet, I think it would be interesting to know.
    ???
    it's called rain ... in excess

what's your real question?
    (and why would your go-to be the 'media'?)

ps. keep in mind ... they did not have todays infrastructure yet built, that helps channel floodwaters ... like the canals that are now everywhere (but still can get overwhelmed)
    I believe that flooding back then was a major catalyst to them building all that stuff ... channelling floods.
    Had that not been there ... this weekend woulda been alot worse!
    Last edited by ptegsotic; 08-21-2023, 02:08 PM.
    1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Didn't really have a question, no doubt the longer we go the more prepared we should be for these type things. Only mentioned the media cause most of the time I saw this story the reason for this one is brought up, I'd wondered what the cause of the earlier one was. Nashville TN. had their worst in 2010, it was caused by a hurricane, can only imagine how bad it would have been if the 4 or 5 upstream reservoirs hadn't been installed over the yrs.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Didn't really have a question, no doubt the longer we go the more prepared we should be for these type things. Only mentioned the media cause most of the time I saw this story the reason for this one is brought up, I'd wondered what the cause of the earlier one was. Nashville TN. had their worst in 2010, it was caused by a hurricane, can only imagine how bad it would have been if the 4 or 5 upstream reservoirs hadn't been installed over the yrs.
        yep. the reason for this one was a hurricane that gathered serious moisture content before downgrading to tropical storm upon arrival (still carrying major moisture content)

the reason for 1939 was days of rain deluge with no infrastructure to deal with it. No cells phones pinging out warnings and hence high death rate! Can you imagine.

with a warming planet and the oceans SO FAR soaking up the majority of that extra energy. (our oceans are currently acting like a huge battery recieving and storing said extra energy) ... this is providing extra 'fuel' for storm development.
        We know, with the thousands of buoys deployed worldwide in the oceans measuring temps at different depths ... that wetsuit sales may be in decline

global warming didn't 'cause' this hurricane ... but we now understand the mechanisms, and can see how 'warmer' turns up the volume

(translation: we're F'kd ... it's baked into the cake. But ya gotta admit. it's been a helluva ride! Enjoy every ride.)

The real tragedy of course ... is that NONE of the other species asked for this. Only one species takes more than it needs. All others just take what they need.

A lot easier to talk, accept this stuff having chosen not to spawn.

rant over
        1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Originally posted by ptegsotic View Post

???
          it's called rain ... in excess

what's your real question?
          (and why would your go-to be the 'media'?)
          LOL LOL

If this was in the vortex..LOL I'd say because the media is an evil empire shoving global warming and green energy down our throat and that since California is the birthplace of liberal green energy B.S and frontiers of examples of how green energy can work , when they know it a money grab ( now at least, maybe not in 2045)LOL
          wizards are punishing California for its lies and deceit it has spread across the nation!! LOL

But that's just my take on what some people would say......in the vortex.....but this is campfire......so Im just making fun...not serious at all.....relax it's gonna be alright LOL

LOL
          Last edited by trent; 08-21-2023, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Would be nice if//when our Cali/ Ariz./ Nev. / NM, other SW regularly contributing members could check in/report. Been thinking about them. Nessism, Burque73, to name just a couple that I can think of.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

yea, it's gonna be fine !

for those with functioning headspaces ... scroll down to 'cell phones sold today' ( a daily count)

Live world statistics on population, government and economics, society and media, environment, food, water, energy and health.

you gotta be operating with the brain capacity of an earthworm not to be able to realise where this is all heading. HA (relax, just having fun )
              go back to sleep gramps. everything is fine
              Last edited by ptegsotic; 08-21-2023, 04:11 PM.
              1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

OK 1939 reason was days of rain deluge, sounds different from this 1 day storm and our 2010 2 day flood in Nashville TN... estimated 16" in 2 days. I know I remember hearing of floods out west caused by snow pack melting. Either way terrible for the folks that live near there. . Always something happening somewhere, guess it was just time for the SW this time...

Comment

The rain dumped by the hurricane varied in intensity based on location. Downtown LA received about 2.5 inches, which is a lot, but it didn't result in widespread destruction. An area up in the desert, not too far from Palm Springs, received more than 10 inches, though, and that was not a pretty picture.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ed, How is it where you are and how far to where worst is from you?

Comment

Ed, How is it where you are and how far to where worst is from you?
                      Both Dan and I live in the city of Torrance, which is about 17 miles south of downtown LA. It rained all day Sunday, but there was no wind until evening. The worst hit areas are about 100 miles east, in the desert and mountains, where flash flooding occurred.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah we actually had worse rain last winter than yesterday.
                        Both are anomalies though… very unusual to see a whole day of rain here.
                        I moved here in May 2005 - the first year I was here I took count of the number of days it rained (fascinated as I come from the land of rain…) - 7 days total.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Glad ya'll were a ways away, sad for the ones messed up. Amazing how different parts of the country can be so different. Here 2.5 " is just a normal rain,

Comment

I was in Monterey at the historic races at Laguna Seca, camping in a friend's 25' Airstream (nice!). I decided to head south late AM Saturday as my son was scheduled to start college on Monday. In the end, the campus lost power and he didn't need to go. I'm glad we left though, because driving over the Grapevine north of LA would be stressful and unpleasant at least, and possibly dangerous. In my 40-plus years here I have learned that the storms arrive later than predicted or not at all, and the hype is crazy, but clicks sell ads and TV eyeballs. But why chance it? In the end, it wasn't much of a muchness in So. Orange County, with moderate rain and a few good gusts around midnight Sunday. North toward LA and beyond got hit much harder.

Any decent rain on dry sandy soil brings raging torrents, especially near mountain washes. I remember my first year here as a Jr. in HS, Carnelian St in Rancho Cucamonga became a swift river carrying cars down and school was canceled, with no way to get there for many. Since then I've had respect for rain here, as it is a different story vs. other US locales. Once in Big Bear, I went to town for a case of beer and a fast-moving thunderstorm washed my tent and several others a long way. 20 minutes there and back and it was clearing up already.
                            Last edited by oldGSfan; 08-21-2023, 09:53 PM.
                            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                              Would be nice if//when our Cali/ Ariz./ Nev. / NM, other SW regularly contributing members could check in/report. Been thinking about them. Nessism, Burque73, to name just a couple that I can think of.
                              Thanks for thinking of us, Rich. Nothing much happening around here. A few more days above average temps is about all. The Rio Grande is slated to dry up in the next couple of weeks, they say. Figures! I was wanting to take my son whitewater rafting up North near Taos in a few weeks.

Our kids in Ridgecrest, CA were expecting around nine inches of rain. That was yesterday. Sounds like it may not have been quite that much, but still a lot. So far they haven't mentioned any catastrophic flooding or anything. They did mention folks being towed on air mattresses through the streets. Maybe China Lake actually has water in it now, lol.

Yesterday's forecast was not looking good for Vegas, but our daughter left for Oklahoma a month ago. Now instead of sweltering heat they can focus more on Tornados....

If I stop to think about it, Albuquerque is really not a bad place to live, weatherwise anyway...
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A
                              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                              X