Where are all the motorcycle campers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are all the motorcycle campers?

So the 20th annual Moosehead Lake / Plymouth Vermont GSR rally is going to take place in a few weeks. September 7th 8th 9th 10th ride home on 11th. In the past we've had over 40 people throughout the weekend, this year crickets. We have the hardcore regulars that never miss it, but no newcomers. Unfortunately some of the old die hards have literally died. Very sad. Packing your stuff on the motorcycle and getting away for a long weekend in an area of Vermont that is so beautiful and scenic with great rides, you would think people would be knocking the doors down to get involved but it seems no longer. This rally in particular is a beautiful group camping site on top of the mountain, with the scenic view of the mountains and a pavilion with two fireplaces and multiple picnic tables for that slim chance of inclement weather. If anybody in the Northeast is interested, go to the meeting house section of this forum and check it out. It's an extremely great time and I can't believe so many will be missing out on it . For more info, check out the GS meeting place section of this forum under the Northeast Moosehead Lake / Coolidge rally. Hope to see some of you. ALL BIKES ARE WELCOME, some of us no longer have GS's (like me) but nobody cares
    Last edited by skip; 08-23-2023, 03:27 PM.

Skip, I would love to come. .Every year I think about it and then life catches up.
    It is not vintage, but the designation of my GSx1250fa sounds like I have a GS bike!
    My wife would actually like to see me get out more often and, while I did get to meet MysuzyQ last week, that will likely be it for this year as my rapidly-expanding wife is due to deliver a new potential biker in a few weeks......
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
      Skip, I would love to come. .Every year I think about it and then life catches up.
      It is not vintage, but the designation of my GSx1250fa sounds like I have a GS bike!
      My wife would actually like to see me get out more often and, while I did get to meet MysuzyQ last week, that will likely be it for this year as my rapidly-expanding wife is due to deliver a new potential biker in a few weeks......
      Damn..We love to have you, and it would be great to see you again.

Comment

New England has been on my radar for close to ten years now but somehow I always end up in the great lakes states instead. I'm planning to be in southern Pa that following weekend although making your event probably won't happen this time around.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
          New England has been on my radar for close to ten years now but somehow I always end up in the great lakes states instead. I'm planning to be in southern Pa that following weekend although making your event probably won't happen this time around.
          That's too bad. I think you would enjoy it. In the past people that have been introduced to this rally tend to come year after year until this year where attendance seems to have dropped p off.

Comment

Generally speaking I don't do well around people my own age and have some young musician friends playing at a festival to hang out with that weekend. I've been to rallies with other themes besides make and model and generally speaking Ive enjoyed the company, this time though another passion comes first.

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
              Generally speaking I don't do well around people my own age and have some young musician friends playing at a festival to hang out with that weekend. I've been to rallies with other themes besides make and model and generally speaking Ive enjoyed the company, this time though another passion comes first.
              That sounds a lot like me.....but.....I have met at least some of those who regularly attend this rally and I am sure it is safe to promise that even if you are like me, you will definitely enjoy their company.
              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I tried Moto-Camping twice, I failed both times...
                The first time was years ago when I had the ants inside of my helmet incident.
                The second time was more recent at the Vintage Days event.
                My poor tent had a broken pole, it wouldn't stay fully upright. Then my air mattress gave up its air at about 2:30 in the AM.
                However, I plan on reevaluating my camping set up. Buy some new camping gear, and giving it another try.
                Maybe not for cross country rides, but for weekend overnights.
                We'll see what I can come up with...
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Camping ??? ..... My idea of roughing it is Three Star ......
                  Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                  Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                  1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                    I tried Moto-Camping twice, I failed both times...
                    The first time was years ago when I had the ants inside of my helmet incident.
                    The second time was more recent at the Vintage Days event.
                    My poor tent had a broken pole, it wouldn't stay fully upright. Then my air mattress gave up its air at about 2:30 in the AM.
                    However, I plan on reevaluating my camping set up. Buy some new camping gear, and giving it another try.
                    Maybe not for cross country rides, but for weekend overnights.
                    We'll see what I can come up with...
                    The plain Jane Walmart $40 four man tent is plenty enough for two people, give it a coat of silicone spray and make sure you use the guy lines on the rain fly and they do a good job. The only issue with those is that the zippers don't hold up well, I generally get about three months use out of one.

The longest lasting tent was a Cabela's that made it a bit over a year, right now I'm using a Coleman Flatwoods Ii which is way more room than I need even with a guest along.

As to air mattresses you're again best off getting the cheapo Walmart ones. I take an old one and cut the bottom out to use as an extra layer of protection under the newer one and get about six months use out of them that way. Keep the pressure on the low side since it's the reinforcement between the beams that'll go first, if you don't it'll turn into a blob instead of a slab shape. If you can avoid the pops and separation it'll be the seal on the end plug that'll give out on you, a coat of powder every now and again keeps it from sliding out.

Comment

Won a osprey three season,says up to three people tent , I had a choice of three prizes, choose tent.
                      because i was planning in doing a lot of motorcycle camping.

According to what I think price of the other two options, price of tent $50-$75 range?

Back when I won it, looked at some reveiws and most people liked design , but said tent didn't hold up, some said it was great because if the light weight, some said it was too heavy?

I used it motorcycle camping maybe four times and took it with me camping numerous times and have no issues with it, I took it on out of town work project and stayed in it for a week at a state park.

I've had it ten years now, also coleman walmart five person tent that I bought in jr high...long time ago....still great shape, have had it up weeks at a time.

But will admit I've taken great care if both of these tents, sprayed the silicone stuff on them, and treated the zippers with everything from lip gloss, candle wax and even some stuff made for zippers ?

Those were the good ole days, been a while since I've done any of that.

This weather gets cooled off a bit might have to set out on some tent camping...all the state sightings of bears and big cats in my favorite spots over last five years though? !!

​​​​​​​

Comment

Pics or it didn't happen.
                        2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                        82 gs1100L probably the next project
                        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                          Pics or it didn't happen.
                          Valve shim adjustment on my 1980 Yamaha XS1100 last March at a national forest service campground just west of Daytona, before the Cabela's tent gave up the ghost

Attached Files

Comment

An impressive job out in the woods Mr lab3. I remember changing a water pump in a state park in Virginia on my old dodge pickup. Turned out the pump was fine but the radiator was shot.

Anyway, as far as the pics thing, I was actually addressing the troll.
                            2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                            82 gs1100L probably the next project
                            1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                            1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

I used to camp a lot, but my "then" girlfriend, who became my wife, hated it. She couldn't understand why I would camp when I had a 24' motor home. It's not the same thing. When I had my sidecar hack, I literally brought everything. Camping was fun, and I brought enough stuff for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X