The One With the Most Wheels Wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The One With the Most Wheels Wins

A little gem that came out of the training class I took recently. I don't recall having heard it, but I just bumped up on that a couple times - from both perspectives (on 4 and on 2 wheels) - and was reminded of it.

Most recent was yesterday (ever notice how people on the road/interstate on late Sunday afternoons are crazier than usual?). I'm not sure what I did exactly, but I ticked off a guy with loud pipes and he pulled up slightly ahead of my door and revved his bike (my window was down), then was turning back looking at me gesturing and talking. So I ran him off the road. No, I'm kidding, but he was awfully trusting of my sanity to say (presumably) bad stuff to me like that with my front fender maybe 6-8' away from him. He wasn't thinking about the subject line rule above. Had his girlfriend on there too. It was kind of funny though when his hat flew off. He sort of calmed down and went away after that.

The other one was a guy going out of turn at a busy 4-way stop, while I was making a left in front of him (on the bike). My first instinct was to slow a bit and say to him "What are you doing?!" I wasn't thinking about the above rule, and should've got my butt out of the way w/o saying a word (to him). He looked to be from the other side of the world somewhere, so I'll chalk it up to that (different driving style, different rules, who knows).​

It's not worth it. You never know, he could be carrying and just cap you. You never know. Not worth it these days. You kept your cool, you did the right thing.

Comment

That's a lame answer! Don't know what I'd do in that situation exactly but there WOULD have been a confrontation.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Two things come to mind. 1) never take a knife to a gun fight. 2) a fight between a car and a motorcycle is never a good idea. You're going to lose if you are the m/c.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I never carry a knife to a gun fight, but I always carry to very accessible and very sharp knives. If you have a knife in your hand, and the gun wielding person does not notice it, you can dispatch him quite readily is he is close enough to you. The further away, the worse your chance becomes. I just blip that throttle and forget about it, as they disappear into my mirror and memory.

I had a guy follow me into a shopping plaza, and when I got off the bike (I already had my knife behind my hand0, he looked at my size, and demeanor (people I know say I project a mean image, though since they know me, it doesn't bother them). He says "I didn't see you", I said "I saw you, bye!". His wife was yelling, get back here to him. I would have done everything to diffuse the situation. I want to get through life without killing anybody. A couple of shallow stabbings was more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
            Two things come to mind. 1) never take a knife to a gun fight. 2) a fight between a car and a motorcycle is never a good idea. You're going to lose if you are the m/c.
            Exactly! Or, as I was taught in my college boxing club, "Never fight above your weight class. NEVER!"
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I never want to be even close to any traffic controversy. Whoever made the bad drive, you or him, just get the heck away from him. Anything controversial, cuss'in, flipping the bird, swerving toward him, brake checking accomplishes nothing... Get the heck away and forget it.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

It's dangerous out there. I consider myself a safe and courteous driver, always extending courtesy to other drives. However, it is so extremely rare that any courtesy is extended my way that I don't recall a single incident. Regardless, I keep my cool, just not worth it to get in an argument with these people who are so clearly more important than I am.

The roads are just another example of how f'ed up we are, I would not be surprised if my demise is caused by driving the speed limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                  ...I would not be surprised if my demise is caused by driving the speed limit.
                  That's good. I get so tired of people speeding. And riding in the passing lane like they own it. I'm planning ahead and positioning accordingly, (cause I KNOW the traffic, and signal light dynamic, and busy highway spots and so forth coming up) but no, gotta factor in the speeders who're gonna be on my rear as often as not.

Comment

I don't mind the speeders much, they just go on, are gone, and completely out of my thoughts. I hate folks driving in left lane while not passing or turning left. Just cause you're doing the speed limit doesn't mean someone else isn't wanting to go faster (crowded traffic is a different thing). Also not fond of "too" courteous drivers, when it's your turn to go "GO", don't sit there motioning for somebody who's turn isn't there yet to go, by the time they realize what you're doing, if you'd just went on like you should, everybody, including you and them, would be farther down the rd.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                      I don't mind the speeders much, they just go on, are gone, and completely out of my thoughts. I hate folks driving in left lane while not passing or turning left. Just cause you're doing the speed limit doesn't mean someone else isn't wanting to go faster (crowded traffic is a different thing). Also not fond of "too" courteous drivers, when it's your turn to go "GO", don't sit there motioning for somebody who's turn isn't there yet to go, by the time they realize what you're doing, if you'd just went on like you should, everybody, including you and them, would be farther down the rd.
                      And I thought that was just the case in my area. Apparently they're everywhere.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

A husband and wife were killed here yesterday when their 27 foot boat collided with a 44 foot boat. Never fight above your weight class!
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I wonder how many here, other than Veterans who saw action, have found themselves in situations which there was no way out, and you had to poke or stab someone in the eye, or gut just to get the f*ck out of there so no one would know who you were,and you could survive, not really ever finding out what happened to the person who was trying to take your out. I mean seriously. I have, and have done such. I avoid confrontation like it was the plague because people who have never had real confrontation have now idea how easy it is to get killed or kill someone else by accident, just by punching them in the face, or a kick to the head. We humans are pitifully fragile.

Comment

I think I just read the world's longest sentence...

Proofreading and punctuation are your friend.
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Made you read.

Comment

Working...
                              X