Jimmy Buffett RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jimmy Buffett RIP

Introduced to him through that 70s Chicago scene of John Prine, Steve Goodman, Fred and Eddie Holstein, etc. apparently he was friends with my old captain, Alan Aunapu, who passed away a few years ago.
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Bert, you beat me to it by three minutes. It will take more than a few days for me to reset my mind to a world without Jimmy Buffet in it.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Sure going to miss him.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

More than any other musician Jimmy Buffet was a part of my life, my identity even. I wasn't really a parrot head but I attended many concerts, all of them memorable for the music, the time, the people I shared the experience with. There is going to be lots of old vinyl played by me this weekend.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Wonderful songs. He had a good life it seems.
          cheeseburger in paradise.....crazy happy song.
          pencil thin moustache and why dont we get drunk are just fabulous
          I can't recall and downers though some had a kind of incipient tear jerk in em.
          Last edited by Cipher; 09-02-2023, 05:39 PM.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Yeah, shocking news for me too. I was a big Buffet fan going back to the 80's. Such fun times at his concerts. He will be missed by many.
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

This is what is above the front door to my house.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Jimmy Buffett's net worth is being reported at $500M. It seems that he was well-loved, by many!
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Jimmy Buffett's net worth is being reported at $500M. It seems that he was well-loved, by many!
                  I heard a billion. He had a vast business empire.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

I heard a billion. He had a vast business empire.
                    All on the back of one song! Obviously a smart man. RIP
                    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post

All on the back of one song! Obviously a smart man. RIP
                      Way more than one song. He created his own musical genre complete with its own culture. And it endured through generations.

At the heart of his appeal IMO was his ability to write thoughtful lyrics that were not sanctimonious and were usually downright fun.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post

Way more than one song. He created his own musical genre complete with its own culture. And it endured through generations.

At the heart of his appeal IMO was his ability to write thoughtful lyrics that were not sanctimonious and were usually downright fun.
                        Yes, you are right....not just one song. Not sure about how much actual depth was there but hey what do I know....when we compare him to the recently deceased Robbie Robertson, ...well there is no comparison....although Jimmy was a much better businessman, if that is how an artist should be measured... .....but a musician? Not even close
                        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post

He created his own musical genre complete with its own culture.
                          Caught this station early last winter along "The forgotten coast" and the weekday daytime programming is exactly the subgenre you're referring to. Not my cup of tea exactly but at night the programming is a whole 'nuther animal.

Listen to WOYS - Oyster Radio 100.5 FM internet radio online. Access the free radio live stream and discover more online radio and radio fm stations at a glance.
                          Last edited by LAB3; 09-03-2023, 10:01 AM.
                          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post

Yes, you are right....not just one song. Not sure about how much actual depth was there but hey what do I know....when we compare him to the recently deceased Robbie Robertson, ...well there is no comparison....although Jimmy was a much better businessman, if that is how an artist should be measured... .....but a musician? Not even close
                            My daddy can beat up your daddy!!

It's not a competition, Trevor. Each man contributed immeasurably in their own unique way to our lives and our world..It isn't necessary to disparage one for it to be true of the other.

As to the question of how an artist should be measured that for me would involve being able to capture salient parts of our humanity and present them back to us in a way that we understand and feel at some emotional level. Of that Buffet was a master and for most of his songs that emotion was joy. Even his more poignant songs, of which there were many, conveyed a certain resiliency of spirit.

Buffet did not describe himself as an artist or as an accomplished musician. He presented himself foremost as an entertainer who was extremely grateful to his fans for their loyal support. Though neither Buffet nor Robertson had a great voice Robertson was a guitar virtuoso who would be more aptly compared to the likes of Chet Atkins, Eric Clapton, et. al.​

Nature bats last.

Comment

I'll take Buffett over Robertson.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X