Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$200,000 and a parachute, where oh where is D.B.Cooper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$200,000 and a parachute, where oh where is D.B.Cooper?

I remember that day well, I was a very active skydiver then and everyone in the club was wishing they had thought of that easy way to make a quick $200k. LOL
    The tale of D.B. Cooper, who leaped out of a hijacked plane with $200,000 in 1971 and disappeared, is the stuff of legend. But one man believes DNA testing could offer some new clues.
    Last edited by earlfor; 09-27-2023, 03:56 PM.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
    I remember that day well, I was a very active skydiver then and everyone in the club was wishing they had thought of that easy way to make a quick $200k.
    Keep your mouth shut about that unless you want to spend the rest of your life in prison!
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post

Keep your mouth shut about that unless you want to spend the rest of your life in prison!
      That was 53 years ago. Why would you think anyone cares if I ask about Cooper?

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

He's dead or broke. Stale bills impossible to easily convert or invest.
        inflation is a hard fact.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

That was 53 years ago. Why would you think anyone cares if I ask about Cooper?
          All I'm going to say is when I pulled north out of Brooksville on 41 last winter, just as I passed the Circle K a pristine pond appeared on my left with a very exclusive looking housing community on the other side. A guy would have to be pretty well off to live that swanky and now I know how you made it happen!

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post

All I'm going to say is when I pulled north out of Brooksville on 41 last winter, just as I passed the Circle K a pristine pond appeared on my left with a very exclusive looking housing community on the other side. A guy would have to be pretty well off to live that swanky and now I know how you made it happen!
            That is a long way from my area. heh Can't answer my question huh?

Comment

I just remember that scene and kept it tucked away, stayed at Mutual Mine campground a couple of times.

Comment

I remember that day well, I was a very active skydiver then and everyone in the club was wishing they had thought of that easy way to make a quick $200k. LOL
                https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news...123543503.html
                Some of the money turned up so it's unlikely he survived, what idiot would parachute into mountainous terrain in the dead of night. If that didn't kill him the elements probably did he wasn't dressed for the snow and rain. It doesn't appear he was an experienced parachutists otherwise he would've noticed his reserve chute was sewn shut.
                1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post

Some of the money turned up so it's unlikely he survived, what idiot would parachute into mountainous terrain in the dead of night. If that didn't kill him the elements probably did he wasn't dressed for the snow and rain. It doesn't appear he was an experienced parachutists otherwise he would've noticed his reserve chute was sewn shut.
                  Every parachute rigger is licensed, government assigned a number, and issued a tool for crimping that number into a small lead seal weight. On a repacked reserve chute, a thread is run through the pack locking cones and a stamped weight is used to seal the loop of the thread. The pack can not be opened without breaking the thread. Its a safety measure to insure no one has tampered with the parachute. The thread breaks when the ripcord is pulled. If someone didn't know, they might think the pack had been sewn shut.,
                  Last edited by earlfor; 12-17-2023, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Well, all I can say is that all of you have just revealed your ages. You're probably so old you remember things like phone booths. Or operators. Or the Yellow Pages. Or clutch pedals. Or...

1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Every parachute rigger is licensed, government assigned a number, and issued a tool for crimping that number into a small lead seal weight. On a repacked reserve chute, a thread is run through the pack locking cones and a stamped weight is used to seal the loop of the thread. The pack can not be opened without breaking the thread. Its a safety measure to insure no one has tampered with the parachute. The thread breaks when the ripcord is pulled. If someone didn't know, they might think the pack had been sewn shut.,
                      I read that it was a training chute and the reserve was non operable, I don't know the truth behind that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                        Well, all I can say is that all of you have just revealed your ages. You're probably so old you remember things like phone booths. Or operators. Or the Yellow Pages. Or clutch pedals. Or...
                        I remember phone booths and I once was an overseas switchboard operator. I also remember gaslights and kerosene refrigerators.

Comment

I recall using one of those crank up wooden phones with a horn, our tv had a roundish picture with only one station and our milkman still used a horse and wagon. I think all that makes me old.

Comment

I recall using one of those crank up wooden phones with a horn, our tv had a roundish picture with only one station and our milkman still used a horse and wagon. I think all that makes me old.
                            Yep! eh eh On the other hand, I can't imagine what it would be like to not remember a time when there were no cell phones or GPS, you stopped to make a phone call, and found where you were by reading a map.

Comment

I read that it was a training chute and the reserve was non operable, I don't know the truth behind that.
                              I think someone was misinformed when they passed that one around. I've never seen a reserve chute that was made inoperable, military or civilian.

Comment

Working...
                              X