Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happening now, OSIRIS REX sample unveiling

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the live feed

Direct from America's space program to YouTube, watch NASA TV live streaming here to get the latest from our exploration of the universe and learn how we dis...

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Well, I missed that by a couple days. I'm looking forward to hearing what information they can glean from that. Some of my usual YouTubers will have a highlights reel of the unveiling, with commentary on what was found.

In addition to the science of the history of the Solar System, I also wonder how knowledge of the contents will affect the future asteroid mining industry. And I wonder if we'll see a commercial effort at that in less than 10 years.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post

In addition to the science of the history of the Solar System, I also wonder how knowledge of the contents will affect the future asteroid mining industry. And I wonder if we'll see a commercial effort at that in less than 10 years.
      When it comes to mining the hurdle is having enough propulsion available to get out there and back.

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post

When it comes to mining the hurdle is having enough propulsion available to get out there and back.
        In a timely fashion, anyway. Starship will be able to deliver pretty decent tonnage out there, but it's still a mission of several years, not counting any processing that has to go on. Space is super cool, but I'm skeptical of the economics for a while yet.
        Dogma
        --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post

In a timely fashion, anyway. Starship will be able to deliver pretty decent tonnage out there, but it's still a mission of several years, not counting any processing that has to go on. Space is super cool, but I'm skeptical of the economics for a while yet.
          I'd heard, only once mind you, that Steve "Waz" Wozniak the co-founder of Apple had started a company to collect scrap in space. Same deal, you have to push it around somehow.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post

I'd heard, only once mind you, that Steve "Waz" Wozniak the co-founder of Apple had started a company to collect scrap in space. Same deal, you have to push it around somehow.
            Well, I hope he succeeds. That's a problem that going to need to get solved.
            Dogma
            --

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Working...
            X