Honda seamless gearbox patent explained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda seamless gearbox patent explained

I had always assumed it was an evolution of the drive dogs we all know and love, but it's much more complex. I see now why it's called seamless and not something like "advanced quick shifter". It never stops transmitting torque.

Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

very interesting, thanks !
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Nothing really new.
      It's basically a glorified ancient scooter christmas tree gearbox.
      Last edited by zed1015; 10-23-2023, 04:45 AM.
      Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
      VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Looks like they covered it in every detail, unfortunately I gave up watching due to all those details! Show me how the damn thing works. I'm not an engineer just an inquisitive rider.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

How does it compare to the "double clutch" transmissions that are all the rage now?
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            How does it compare to the "double clutch" transmissions that are all the rage now?
            A dual clutch transmission is like two transmissions of whatever type in the same case. One for even gears, one for odd. Well, not a whole second transmission, but a 2nd clutch and driven shaft. I'm not sure of the details of each implementation and how the driven shafts are connected to the final output.
            Dogma
            --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post
              Nothing really new.
              It's basically a glorified ancient scooter christmas tree gearbox.
              I'm not familiar with those. Google is finding some stuff for a Lambretta, but I'm not sure it's what you have in mind. Google thinks I'm shopping for decorations, so it's not being super helpful. What I did find looks like a drive dog gearbox, but with the dogs on the ID instead of the side of the gear. The shifter IS the connection to the output shaft, right? You'd still need to unload the gearbox to change gears, so that's not the same as the seamless transmission. Pretty neat little gearbox though. Very simple.
              Dogma
              --

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post

I'm not familiar with those. Google is finding some stuff for a Lambretta, but I'm not sure it's what you have in mind. Google thinks I'm shopping for decorations, so it's not being super helpful. What I did find looks like a drive dog gearbox, but with the dogs on the ID instead of the side of the gear. The shifter IS the connection to the output shaft, right? You'd still need to unload the gearbox to change gears, so that's not the same as the seamless transmission. Pretty neat little gearbox though. Very simple.
                Yes! Vespa, Lambretta and probably a few others.
                Input tree gears are locked on the shaft and all rotate at the same speed,.
                Output gears rotate independent and are selected by the internal cruifix which drives the output shaft.
                Not exactly the same but i did say " Glorified" and certainly a development of the design..
                Nothing is really new, Just like Hondas NR750 oval pistons which they tried to claim as their own but was in truth plagiarised from BSA..
                Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
                VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post

Yes! Vespa, Lambretta and probably a few others.
                  Input tree gears are locked on the shaft and all rotate at the same speed,.
                  Output gears rotate independent and are selected by the internal cruifix which drives the output shaft.
                  Not exactly the same but i did say " Glorified" and certainly a development of the design..
                  The development being those still required release of drive torque to shift.
                  Is this development not something new ?
                  Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    Great system, but not for racing purposes where every gram counts.
                    Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

Comment

Working...
                    X