3 more dead (Lithium fire)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 more dead (Lithium fire)

Three died today in Brooklyn in a lithium ion battery fire.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Lithium batteries require special handling and management. They do not tolerate overcharging very well and predictably can become extremely hot, catch fire, or blow up.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Don't they have smart batteries and smart battery chargers?

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post
        Probably requires smart people.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post
          People are cheap. They buy a usb charge cord for a dollar instead of a smart charger for 24.00 or so. A simple charge cord is fine if YOU are going to be the smart link in the chain meaning knowing battery capacity and charge level, what the charge rate is, and how long it will take.
          Last edited by earlfor; 11-19-2023, 01:27 PM.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I'm always thinking about that when I charge my Porter Cable batteries. Somewhere away from flammables and when the light turns green, I unplug the charger......
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              I'm always thinking about that when I charge my Porter Cable batteries. Somewhere away from flammables and when the light turns green, I unplug the charger......
              Me too on that one. heh

Comment

Article:

"Officials said there have been 238 fires linked to the batteries and the total number killed by lithium-ion batteries in New York City this year alone is now up to 17. The city's fire commissioner said it's like having "ticking time bombs" inside people's homes.

"There is blood on the hands of this private industry- both the online retailers who continue to sell these illegal devices to this day-- and the food delivery apps who continue to think that this problem will solve itself," FDNY Commissioner Laura Kavanagh said.

It's unclear whether smoke detectors were inside and operational at the time, but Kavanaugh said the batteries don't smolder, which is how a smoke detector would typically give an early warning.
                ​"
                It seems people are just charging their equipment with charges supplied and they are going up in flames as they are illegal devices (whatever that means).

Looks to be scooters that were being charged where the culprit of the fire and it seems like they happen, quite often.

Makes me wonder about the scooter the students use around here that they bring from the city. Lots of them look to be cheap Chinese scooters and they are charging them in their dorm rooms.
                Last edited by Jedz123; 11-20-2023, 08:53 AM.
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                  It seems people are just charging their equipment with charges supplied and they are going up in flames as they are illegal devices (whatever that means).
                  Not sure how legally compulsory it is, but the nearest these pieces of junk have been to a UL testing facility is when the cargo plane flew over one.
                  We have exactly the same chit going on in Europe - untold thousands of these junky things all waiting to bust into flames.
                  Usually fake certs come with them, if any at all.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Consumers aren't typically aware of how to properly handle lithium batteries, and I've yet to come across a stock charger that doesn't charge to the absolute limit of 4.20v/cell when they should cut at 4.1v. Even a small voltage imbalance can mean one cell goes high, which the BMS may not catch before thermal runaway. And scooter/ebike batteries are exposed to the elements, which can short the cells if water gets in the case. I've seen a lithium battery fire up close after sitting at rest for 24 hours; it's quick and violent, and they supply their own fuel so there's nothing you can do besides keep them submerged in a salt water bath for days to keep things cool as they burn themselves out.

The issue is, of course, that quality is expensive, especially the UL listing. People are trying to get by with the cheapest equipment they can, and we're seeing the result of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                      Article:

Looks to be scooters that were being charged where the culprit of the fire and it seems like they happen, quite often.

Makes me wonder about the scooter the students use around here that they bring from the city. Lots of them look to be cheap Chinese scooters and they are charging them in their dorm rooms.
                      Want to bet those scooters either came with cheap chargers or none at all? I'll bet none of them could telll you the parameters for charging a lipo battery either.

Comment

Such a tragedy. When you note that a delivery company said it was disappointed by the FDNY commenting on the danger you can see how little they care.

When LiPo first came around ??15 yrs ago? My friend had them for RC planes. He kept his batteries in a heavy glazed ceramic crock with a heavy lid and never charged them unattended.

Though small untested alibaba replacement batteries may also present a danger as you have no idea what you're getting or even if it is to its claimed specs.
                        What were the Sony laptops running way back when? They too liked to catch fire.
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Another lithium battery fire death last night, this time in the Bronx. Haopened in a high rise. Those things shouldn't be allowed on elevators.

Comment

Dang it Rob, one of these days I'm gonna teach you how to copy and paste a link.
                            One person was killed and nine others were injured when a fire blamed on an electric bicycle battery tore through a Bronx apartment, officials said Monday.

From a Different site:
                            If you want to keep score at home:
                            "So far this year, lithium-ion batteries have caused more than 239 fires in the city, resulting in at least 124 injuries and 17 deaths."
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Dang appx. 10 yrs. ago, hoverboards banned from airplanes because the lithium-ion batteries were known to catch fire while just sitting idle, not being charged, used or anything, just sitting there? I'd have thought somebody would have found and fixed this problem by now... I guess not.
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X