No announcement yet.

The END is near (California guys)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, mulch almost of them, just blow them off the asphalt, concrete, and flower beds first then mulch them out on the yard.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      Generac is the big advertiser around here these days, fueled by gasoline, propane, natural gas, or diesel. They even sold one to my brother, though neither me or him remember our elect. ever being off for more than a few hrs. Advertising the fear of elect. being off for long periods has sure sold a bunch of them
      It's a rare event, but I just used my Generac for 20 hours due to an odd warm winter rain/wind event. I bought it because many years ago we were without power in an ice storm for 5 days, never again!

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        cap, may not make it by 2050. I don't think the Global warming stuff, that Al Gore had predicted and made a movie about back in the early 2000's, are happening near as fast as he had thought they would. I remember the gist of Gore's predictions. By 2016, lower Manhattan being under water, MT Kilimanjaro being without it's snow cap, and no ice in the polar ice caps in the summer time, oceans boiling, If any of this has happened I must'v missed hearing about it. I've always thought I'd watch his movie, "An Inconvenient Truth" but just never got around to it yet... Like you ED, just rather not be forced into the elect. lawn mowers and leaf blowers. Shoot, nobody forced us into buying autos to replace out horses and wagons, we knew when we were ready.
        A friend of my works for Antarctica New Zealand and has just spent 4 weeks at Scott Base, shepherding some journalists around as they talked with climate scientists who do field work on the ice. She put me on to this video below.

While the timings given in "The Inconvenient Truth" might be out in the scale of a human life time, this doesn't prove that the trend isn't there, just just proves that Al Gore got his calculations wrong. In the timeframe of geological history the rate of change that is occurring now is happening in the fraction of a heartbeat. Here's something one of those scientists said. You can make up your own mind. And no, I don't think that banning stuff, which strikes me as being more about virtue-signaling than providing a solution. But after watching this, I can't help thinking that "when we're ready" could well be too late. Not for us but for our grandkids, and great-grandkids. As someone's signature on this site says, "to measure is to know" well may be look at the measurements these guys have made...

Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 12-20-2023, 09:50 PM.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
        ​​
        Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Originally posted by ptegsotic

as you've no doubt figured out ... you're completely wasting your time with the 'flat-earthers'
          Well, I'm not preaching to anyone... few things I do know is that we all share the same sky, and the same seas, and that the wind, rain, and CO2 don't need a passport to cross a border. I know that folk with thermometers, rulers, and rain gauges, satellites, etc. are measuring stuff and things are changing at a rate that differs significantly from the past. A bit like hitting the power band on a tuned two-stroke. The numbers don't lie, but you can make of them what you will. Or ignore them. Its an option.

Here, we're getting what were once called "one in a hundred year weather events" every couple of years, now. The infrastructure repair bill is testament to that. On January 27 last year, my city got a months worth or rain in 1 hour... It was devastating. May be the 2023 Tongan volcanic eruption that ejected 146 metric megatons of water into the stratosphere (ask NASA) was part of it? May be its the rising sea temperatures in the South Pacific... (those pesky thermometers), may be its both. In the mean time I'll ponder the what a world with millions of climate refugees might look like. I suspect they won't respect borders either.

​​
          Darryl from Kiwiland

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiAlfa156 View Post
            Here, we're getting what were once called "one in a hundred year weather events" every couple of years...
            At least you've got some mountains. Some of those smaller Pacific islands are disappearing right before our eyes.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

At least you've got some mountains. Some of those smaller Pacific islands are disappearing right before our eyes.
              Yes, I was lucky in a previous life to spend some time working in Fiji. I was based in Suva. We upgraded Fiji Broadcasting Corporation (FBC) radio network and built the national TV/digital service. The Prime Minister at the time, Frank Bainimarama, very vocal about the impact of sea level rise on the island nations. Its a big issue in the Pacific, as they comparatively release very little carbon per capita. But are the first to be f*cked over by other people's lifestyles. There's a graveyard in the Marshall Islands that now gets submerged every spring tide.

Anyhow, here's some pics from my time in Fiji.

Parliament building and Albert Park

Suva Fish Market

Coro-O transmission site above Suva

​​​​​​Generator pod - part of the fully autonomous self-contained power system (Solar/Redflow batteries). Itself a part of the modular transmission site buildings.
              Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 12-21-2023, 01:32 AM.

​​
              Darryl from Kiwiland

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiAlfa156 View Post

Well, I'm not preaching to anyone... few things I do know is that we all share the s....
                my post (since deleted) was replying to another poster (hence their original post was included)
                not directed at you and the link you provided
                thanks for link
                cheers

1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Originally posted by ptegsotic View Post

my post (since deleted) was replying to another poster (hence their original post was included)
                  not directed at you and the link you provided
                  thanks for link
                  cheers
                  All good. I wasn't offended or anything like that. I was making a general comment about not wanting anyone to think I was telling them what they should think.

​​
                  Darryl from Kiwiland

Comment

How's that new gas generator working out for you Joe ?
                    Stories about severe weather conditions, including tornadoes and lightning strikes.
                    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                    1983 GS 750

Comment

I'm guessing you have stock in the home generator market?
                      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                      82 gs1100L probably the next project
                      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                        How's that new gas generator working out for you Joe ?
                        https://www.foxla.com/tag/weather/severe-weather
                        Events like this are a perfect example of why I bought a generator! Thanks for the confirmation, Gretta Garth!

Next question: how much gasoline should I stockpile for it? The stupid eco-friendly ethanol crap they sell these days doesn't keep long term. Maybe I need to learn how to de-alcohol my gas? Got some Stabil, but some extra assurance would be nice to have!
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

Events like this are a perfect example of why I bought a generator! Thanks for the confirmation, Gretta Garth!

Next question: how much gasoline should I stockpile for it? The stupid eco-friendly ethanol crap they sell these days doesn't keep long term. Maybe I need to learn how to de-alcohol my gas? Got some Stabil, but some extra assurance would be nice to have!
                          Stabil preserved the fuel in my generator for years, I'll bet 5-6 years. Just burned it last week and started easily and not even a sputter after 20 hours of use. I always keep the tank full, which I think is 8 gallons + an additional two 5 gallon jugs. That should keep me going for about 36 hours. I have about 20 gas stations in my town of 30,000 people, so we would need a catostrophic event to prevent me from finding more fuel with 36 hours.

Comment

The Toro came in, and she's a beast! Like a V8 powered muscle car! It's way overkill for my puny yard, but as they say, too much power is just enough!

This is likely the last mower I'll ever buy. Planning to treat it good and make it last!

And best of all (ha ha), there is a tag on it that rates it's pollution level, which shows 3/10 (lower is better). See, I'm saving the planet!

Last edited by Nessism; 12-25-2023, 11:07 AM.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Does it have a catalytic converter? I HATE those things on bikes! When I removed it from my '82 Z28, it felt like I installed headers. That thing flew!
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

I have a four stroke Makita that's easily the best piece of lawn equipment I've ever owned. It's 10 years old now, and starts first or second pull. Being 4 cycle, it's not overly loud, nor does it puke out stinky exhaust, like 2 stroke blowers. It's a great bit of kit! It has a vacuum feature also, for sucking up and mulching leaves.
                                See, that's progress already. ol' John Glassbottle can be seen swearing at his neighbor Joe Sixpack for using that newfangled, overly complicated 4 stroke thing; nobody ever needed more than two! ;-)

Just recently I drove a transporter van that was fully electrified and thought "wtf - I like both electric and ICE, but electric doesn't make sense here...".

Wait a minute. A rental electric transporter van that is based in a city and will primarily haul furniture and stuff from home depot, back and forth to homes and various stuff around the city? It doesn't need high range. Torque, yes. It actually does make sense.
                                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
                                X