possible Samsung law suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible Samsung law suit

A class action claims that certain Samsung electric range stoves are defective in that it’s a little too easy to inadvertently turn on the cooktop’s burners.

Does anyone know how to get more information about this class action lawsuit filed against Samsung in New Jersey?
    if so, can we do anything about it in Canada?

Four years ago I bought one of the ranges cited in the lawsuit and have had the identical problems with it.

Samsung replaced the switches under warranty when I complained about the problem, but the replacement switches do the same.

"If you are going through hell.......keep going."
    Winston Churchill

From what I read in theory yes you can join a US class action suit . But in practice it doesn't happen .....Here is a quote from the below source......

" U.S. courts are open to foreign litigants and nothing textually says foreign citizens cannot “join” or take part in American class action cases. But in practice, it is almost always true that you must be a U.S. resident in order to take part in a class action lawsuit filed in the United States.

The two-fold reason for this is related to the rules American courts must follow when weighing which consumers can and should be covered by a class action and the uncertainty as to whether a foreign court will uphold a U.S. court’s judgment or settlement terms (we’ll get into this more below). The two are related."

One of the most common questions we get comes from those who want to know whether people who live outside of the United States can take part in class action lawsuits filed in American courts.
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Thanks, Garth.
      I spoke with Samsung and they told me to contact their local repair entity.

I gave a full description of the concerns to them and to their repair company, who are sending someone tomorrow.

They have not confirmed whether or not, or how much, they will charge me for the repairs.

I have washer and dryer from them that have had zero problems and both work well after more than ten years.
      Since then I bought appliances for my own home and for Mother-in-law.

Two microwaves, a refrigerator and this stove/range have all had significant problems.

Winston Churchill

Comment

To explain a bit more:

The switches on our stove became a major concern after we left the house for a short time and returned to find the largest burner glowing bright red: it was at its maximum setting.

Nothing had been left on the stovetop so there was no fire, but the wall-mounted microwave above the stove was hot.
        That may have been why the microwave later developed problems, but I do not know..

We had not used the stove for more than an hour before going out so nothing made sense,

When it happened two more times I had to find out why as until then we had thought we must be making some stupid errors and blamed ourselves

I knew the knobs had to be pressed in and turned to activate the burners.
        What I did not realize until looking for a cause of this big safety concern was that the front-mounted switches had apparently been designed to make that action almost super-easy, so that, when the knob was only very lightly pressed the internal mechanism automatically turned and the burner instantly went from OFF to MAXIMUM .

This knob action required so little pressure that it could literally occur as you walked by the stove and you happened to brush against it, or, as the service
        tech who came to do the switch replacements told us, it had happened to other owners when they were leaning over the stove to reach the wall-mounted microwave
        With either action, you may not realize that you had any contact with the knobs until the burner(s) suddenly became very hot.

Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
        X