Spike belts can kill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spike belts can kill.

This article from Canadian Press caught my attention this morning.

As I read the article I began thinking that one seldom hears/reads about harm caused to the public by police ...and that police are only rarely, if at all, held accountable for the damage/harm they cause.

In this case, a woman was killed after her vehicle was disabled by spike belts that police deployed well in advance of the arrival of someone they were chasing.

EDMONTON — Officers have found a stolen car used to flee a deadly hit-and-run following a high-speed police chase on the weekend, and they continue to search for a suspect.

The Honda Civic was recovered early this morning outside Edmonton.

A 45-year-old woman was struck and killed Saturday after her vehicle was disabled by a police spike belt during the chase, and she got out to check on the damage.

Police say the pursuit began after RCMP in Beaumont, just south of Edmonton, tried to arrest a suspect in a parked truck.

They say the driver sped off and later rammed an RCMP vehicle.

Police then deployed the spike belt, which disabled several civilian vehicles as well as the suspect's truck, and the truck hit the woman.

Police say the resident of Fort Saskatchewan had stepped out of her car to see what happened.

They say the suspect fled again, this time in the Honda Civic, with a child inside. The child was later found unharmed.

The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team is investigating.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 26, 2024.

The Canadian Press
    EDMONTON — Officers have found a stolen car used to flee a deadly hit-and-run following a high-speed police chase on the weekend, and they continue to search for a suspect. The Honda Civic was recovered early this morning outside Edmonton. A 45-year-old woman was struck and killed Saturday after her vehicle was disabled by a police spike belt during the chase, and she got out to check on the damage. Police say the pursuit began after RCMP in Beaumont, just south of Edmonton, tried to arrest a su
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Don't know the particulars. However most of these people who create the chaos are revolving door, repeat offenders and the injustice system with pussy judges and unethical lawyers are the root cause of 90% of the problems.
    1986 1150EF
    2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Let's not get carried away here. The villain is the guy in the stolen truck that struck and killed the woman .....
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
        Let's not get carried away here. The villain is the guy in the stolen truck that struck and killed the woman .....
        No disagreement here, but who is the dumb*ss?

Comment

I wasn't there to see what happened but considering that there where other vehicles that where also disabled besides the one driven by the woman who was killed I'd venture to say that someone dropped the ball big time.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

As suspected. It was a waste of skin who caused the incident, he was even driving the vehicle that killed the innocent woman. I don't see why someone would think the Police are at fault.

"RCMP say a man facing charges after a woman was killed during a police chase near Edmonton was wanted on warrants for other crimes in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Peter Richard Ashby, who is 35, is facing several offences in relation to the weekend hit-and-run, including dangerous driving causing death and assaulting a police officer.

The chase began Saturday after RCMP in Beaumont, just south of Edmonton, tried to arrest a man in a parked truck.

Officers deployed a spike belt, which disabled several civilian vehicles, as well as the truck.

Police say the woman got out of her vehicle to check on damage from the spike belt and was hit by the truck.

Ashby has been remanded into custody and is set to appear in court next month."
            1986 1150EF
            2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

And here I was, wondering whether Sid Vicious was being called to account ...

image.png
              Attached Files
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                And here I was, wondering whether Sid Vicious was being called to account ...

image.png
                Moi aussi. Here in the lower 48, I believe they're (the police tool) referred to as 'strips', not belts. Favorite appearance in a movie: Heat.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                  I wasn't there to see what happened but considering that there where other vehicles that where also disabled besides the one driven by the woman who was killed I'd venture to say that someone dropped the ball big time.
                  That was my thinking, too. It appeared to me that the spikes were not timed for the arrival of the intended vehicle but instead were deployed much too early,and this early deployment by police is what led to multiple vehicles being disabled and, ultimately, it was this act of too-early deployment that led to the woman losing her life. .

Reasoning:
                  It is not clear how long it took for the woman to stop her vehicle after losing her tires, but clearly she had plenty of time to bring her vehicle safely to a halt and park it before opening the door to get out.

It is also not stated how long she was out of her vehicle before impact, but it appears that she was looking at her tires, so a fair guess is not less than twenty seconds and perhaps more than thirty seconds had already passed between the moment she hit the spikes and the offending vehicle arrived to kill her.

"If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                  Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post

That was my thinking, too. It appeared to me that the spikes were not timed for the arrival of the intended vehicle but instead were deployed much too early,and this early deployment by police is what led to multiple vehicles being disabled and, ultimately, it was this act of too-early deployment that led to the woman losing her life.
                    I'll just leave this here.

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                    X