The Shingles Vaccine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shingles Vaccine

I've had lots of jabs for various things over the years and I have never had a reaction with a side effect ...... I think I'm on my sixth covid jab accompanied by a flu shot ..... I am now 70 years old and those Shinrex ads on TV scare the snot out of me . But for some reason I am hesitant because of some things I have heard about side effects ..... So I guess I am looking for a little reassurance from those of you that have had the vaccine side effect free ?
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

I've had my first one. Zero side effects. I would brave any side effects, though. You (and I) DO NOT want to get shingles.

(Almost 67 here.)
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Wife and I both got the shingles vaccine last summer, and the booster (I think it was a month later). Other than a lot of arm soreness, no other ill-effects. I was 52, her 51, if that matters. It may.
      She had shingles in her early 20's. It wasn't pleasant then. Definitely don't want to get them now.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

The Wife and I both got ours a couple of years ago, no issue other than a sore arm for a day or two.
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Cant recall the maker but I had the more modern jab a while back. No side effects.'250 bucks and forgot to go for the second.
          shingles is hellish. Had chicken pox at 28 and near died.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I got skeptical when all the advertisements for the vaccine was say'in 1 out of 3 folks will get shingles. Those numbers don't work for me, not near 1/3 of the folks I know have had shingles.. I know one guy who had shingles pretty bad, about 10 yrs. ago, maybe a half dozen more, that I know, said they had shingles, but they didn't show nor complain too much as far as symptoms. .. . Also the warning labels should be good but seem maybe a little overboard. They give a million rats a vaccine and 1 gets the squirts, The label says, side effects may include diarrhea and a sore butt. Would be much better if they would tell the % of tested folks that had reactions. I did ask my DR. if I should get it, he didn't seem too concerned, just said we'll give you one if you want it. I's hoping for a little more interest from him.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              I got skeptical when all the advertisements for the vaccine was say'in 1 out of 3 folks will get shingles. Those numbers don't work for me, not near 1/3 of the folks I know have had shingles.. I know one guy who had shingles pretty bad, about 10 yrs. ago, maybe a half dozen more, that I know, said they had shingles, but they didn't show nor complain too much as far as symptoms. .. . Also the warning labels should be good but seem maybe a little overboard. They give a million rats a vaccine and 1 gets the squirts, The label says, side effects may include diarrhea and a sore butt. Would be much better if they would tell the % of tested folks that had reactions. I did ask my DR. if I should get it, he didn't seem too concerned, just said we'll give you one if you want it. I's hoping for a little more interest from him.
              Personal anecdote does not triumph over statistical analysis.
              age and ever weakening immune systems are what lets the virus that remains in your spine one more shot at the big time.

if you'd had the pox as an adult you'd be sufficiently horrified to take a stats intro course.
              it took 3-4 months to return to normal. Being a filthy crusted scarring mess. Oozing pus from nerve endings is nasty. Mind numbing itching due no doubt to the virus being transported on the nervous system.
              the drug halcyon was the only thing that saved me. Its banned now iirc.

get the shot bcap.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Seeing as there have been four " There's puck all to its and get the shots you idiot " I have had my fears sufficiently diminished. Going to get the jabs ...... Thanks everybody ......
                Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                  Seeing as there have been four " There's puck all to its and get the shots you idiot " I have had my fears sufficiently diminished. Going to get the jabs ...... Thanks everybody ......
                  Good. Look up the role ONE case of shingles played in WW2 (Adm. Halsey).
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

Good. Look up the role ONE case of shingles played in WW2 (Adm. Halsey).
                    We're so sorry, uncle Albert
                    We're so sorry if we caused you any pain
                    We're so sorry, uncle Albert
                    But there's no one left at home
                    And I believe I'm gonna rain​
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Co worker few years back that got shingles, really bad case .
                      hospitalized for week or more..think he was mid fifties?

But he doesn't believe in getting vaccine for it, he said he'd advise people against it...same with covid vaccine?

Guess folks like him just wanna take their chances and deal with it when and if it arrives?

Kinda strange to me ! As bad as he got, his wife told me his whole torso was covered in one thick red sore and very painful and caused his body some serious health problems...
                      but tells other people he wouldn't get shot for it if he was them.

I seen a pic of the side of his torso months after his hospital stay and it still looked bad to me..

Comment

I think your friend is on drugs. HARD drugs.

Good song. Second McCartney solo album ("Ram"?)

Comment

Had shingles 32 years ago and again 30 years ago. An awful experience both times.
                          The Shingrex jabs three years ago were as others have said, nothing but a sore arm for a few days.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

This is why I prefer standing seam metal roofing, unlike shingles you don't have to worry about it for 50 years or more!
                            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                            X