Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody got a Yamaha Tenere 700? Just picked one up. Just. Wow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started thinking about my own bike needs, having sold the XR650L, and was looking for something with longer trip comfort plus decent off-road chops, and I found this 2024 Honda Transalp 750. just drove 3 hrs round trip to pick it up. It was at a price (10.5K) I couldn't pass up. After watching reviews on both Hondas I concluded the Africa Twin wasn't for me. I also rode a Husky Norden, very nice, but didn't fit me well and I am really after 'the one' that will never cause me any anxiety about cost of ownership, reliability, etc. This one has 294 miles, a Yosh slip-on, center stand and (somewhat flimsy) bark busters added. I'm pinching myself.

It isn't as sexy as the Tenere, and it's a lower bike, which, being 6'3" tall I would prefer not to be the case. Not a big deal. One ride convinced me. It is a better overall bike than the Yamaha from power, features (rider modes wheelie/traction control, color TFT screen, quick shift, other goodies, and I think longer legs, gearing-wise) perspective, and wow, it is fantastic to ride. The Yamaha feels more 'direct' and is a blast, not complaining or dissing it at all. Just different.

I will be happy either way my son and I end up riding - I think he'll fall in love with it and it fits him better. Plus being a new rider maybe some of the rider aids will be good for him (errrm wheelie control). But being young he'll want to look cool on the Tenere and the Honda could be a bit more flash. But what value this thing Honda offers for the price.... The nice thing is that either of us can ride either one, and when we ride together we can flip a coin if we both want to ride one or the other, trade off, etc. So stoked!

Last edited by oldGSfan; 03-27-2024, 02:12 AM.
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Hot take after a short ride... sort of a hooligan bike compared to the Tenere as the engine revs forever whereas the Tenere doesn't reward over 8K. More adrenaline but not 'better' just a different character given their focus. Tenere more direct, torquey. The standing position is surprisingly good on Transalp. Lots of electronics to learn. Better brakes, and smoother shifting. Better wind protection. Less 'character' than Tenere perhaps - feels like a crazy-capable commuter bike with lots of tricks up its sleeve. I can see being in love with the Tenere and this one sort of just does it all easily, so you enjoy it but don't fall in love - well, I love it so far but hopefully that makes sense. Sometimes we like a bit of 'character' as we find in flaws. Honda adapts to everything, the Tenere is more tightly focused and you adapt to it.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
      X