How much gasoline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much gasoline?

Is too much gasoline? When you spill it on your living room floor?

Several times a year, I hop on Suzi (11EZ). "If I get a heel-toe shifter, why can't I go for one last ride? I know I couldn't pick her up if she falls, but I could still steer her around the block. O well, back to the present."

Make sure the key turns. I even checked the operation of the fork lock tonight (A-OK). Gas cap? Fine. Hmm...some dirt around the edge. Let me put the cap on the entertainment center on the right side of the bike before I dismount to get a paper towel.

Too close to the edge...it might roll off. Let me lean off the right side of Suzi to push the cap farther from the edge.

It was hardly even a spill. More of a splash. As I put my shoes on to fetch a security guard to help me pick up Suzi, I thought, "It could be a lot worse. Could have been an open flame. The entertainment center might not have been there to catch Suzi before she was totally horizontal (she was close). And I really didn't spill too much gasoline." Which returns us to my original question:

How much gasoline, is too much gasoline...?

While we're at it, how much wood, could a woodchuck...?

Gotta go now. I'm needed at the shyte-for-brains reading room.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Per my wife, ANY gasoline spilled in the house is To much..........
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Rob, your bike is trying to kill you just sitting in your living room. As much as I’d like to see you riding again, maybe it’s time to let Suzi go. Not much you can do to clean up the gas beyond what wetness you could get up with a rag. Probably soaked into whatever flooring you have.

On the other hand, if you’re still hoping to ride it again I would like to meet you sometime for lunch. Maybe meet in the Poconos somewhere. I’d even go most of the way thru NJ. But I have no wish to ever ride in NYC.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
        Per my wife, ANY gasoline spilled in the house is To much..........
        Wives...go figure. Where do they get these crazy notions?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Rich - just missed the carpet, stayed on the hardwood. And the smell doesn't bother me a bit. It's the betrayal.

I stare at her everyday. It's like sitting on the opposite end of a couch from a dangerous woman you know you shouldn't touch. "What are you doing all the way over there?" she says. "Come closer!"

I've never trusted women so I've never been badly burned by them. But motorcycles?!?

She probably feels betrayed by me. My bruises will heal. But what if her forks or bars are just slightly off center now? She'll stay that way for the rest of my life.

I'm sure we'll reconcile. I mean, she KNOWS she's really just a stand-in for the great love of my life (1973 Kawasaki Z1) and she's always handled it well.

I hope $50 was enough of a thanks to also ensure the security guard's silence. I only told him I needed help picking up something heavy. When we got to my apartment and he saw Suzi lying there, he said, "It's beautiful." I was like, "Yes, but let's get her up first."

Comment

I just can't stay mad at motorcycles. My '73 Z1 was a genuine widowmaker (I bought it from my cousin's widow). She tried to kill me at least once. So did Suzi.

I'm like that nut who kept Komodo dragons in his home. One day...(you know what happened).

Comment

Here's a thought. If the motorcycle isn't going to be ridden for the foreseeable future why not drain the tank and the carbs? Many riders in the north do it annually.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                Here's a thought. If the motorcycle isn't going to be ridden for the foreseeable future why not drain the tank and the carbs? Many riders in the north do it annually.
                My thought exactly! Drain the tank, spray fogging oil inside so it doesn't rust. Drain carbs, and spray down with something like WD-40.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Maybe it's the irony of calling the 1100 "her". They always get even, especially when you don't get them out regularly.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

That’s the truth Sandy, Susie Q’s vacuum is back again and kicking my buttttt
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                      If it's going to live in the living room, I agree!
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                      X