My son has his motorcycle license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son has his motorcycle license

I have been careful not to push Liam into riding....when he was 11 I got him a CRF70....some of you might remember me posting about it here....it was fun. But since he turned 16 (he's 21 now) he has been more into cars...I'm glad he waited as he has 5 years of driving experience now. A couple of months ago Liam surprised me that he had gotten his learners (written test) and bought a good helmet. We have been riding a little bit as he needed to have a licensed rider with him.....then a couple of weeks ago I paid a friend that is a licensed motorcycle instructor to give Liam private lessons....16hrs worth of classroom and on road.
    Then today we rode up island to Nanaimo about 140kms away to to a parking lot test for his next stage....we had to go that far because they are booked months in advance here...He rode my DR650 and passed! So now he can ride on his own...just not at night or with a passenger until he takes his road test.
    We had a nice lunch at my favorite pub Crow and Gate and then we stopped at my buddy's motorcycle shop in Ladysmith to get him his own gear. It wasn't a cheap day...lol...but I want him starting off on the right foot.
    He started a new job a month ago at a friend's marine shop and is looking at marine mechanics.....he has no experience and they started him at $28 an hour! Jesus...anyway if he likes it they will put him through school in Vancouver.....marine mechanics where he works make up to $70 an hour....
    I'm proud of my boy

No signature

That's cool, my son's 19 and he's a great rider even though he only got licensed in November of '23. He's at home on (and in love with) his Tenere 700 but I also let him ride the Norton. I put Cardo communicators on our helmets when he was about 13 and I rode all around with him on the back of my Multistrada, teaching him the tips I know. Create space, be alert, and be in command. He is a really good MTB rider and understands body English, braking, traction, etc. He's probably a better rider than I am at this point. Going for rides with him is so much fun, hope you get to ride with him for a long time.
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

That’s great Trevor. May you have many happy rides together. I really enjoy riding with my son.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Fantastic, I remember the posts when he was just a little dude on the bike. Now look at him, a clone of you!
        Man, don't blink...
        Enjoy your new adventures together and pass along my congratulations!
        Have a wonderful day.
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Thanks guys...yes Jedz watch out...they DO grow up quick! Lol...and yes Rich riding with your son must be a great privilege
          No signature

Comment

Holy cow, trevor, your son looks just like YOU. Good on both of you to be riding together! A family that rides together, stays together! (I just made that up!)

My kid is enjoying his MT07! Every day when he gets home from his commute, he's just beaming!
            Last edited by Nessism; 05-24-2024, 12:00 PM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I rode the GS to work today. I try to at least keep the gas fresh in it. Otherwise, it's the Tiger. Anyway, just now I heard my kid pull in to the lot outside my window. His Hawk 250 has a, umm, distinctive, tone. Not quite the right word. But I can hear him coming 2 blocks away. He's bartending at the Brew Pub next door for the summer. He's enlisting in the AF. I sure will miss him. Want to make sure I ride with him as much as I can till he heads off to basic. Not sure yet when that'll be.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Holy cow, trevor, your son looks just like YOU. Good on both of you to be riding together! A family that rides together, stays together! (I just made that up!)

My kid is enjoying his MT07! Every day when he gets home from his commute, he's just beaming!
                Funny....an MT07 is on my son's list.
                No signature

Comment

Hmmm... It is good to ride with your kids but then they decide to pass you on one wheel at somewhere over 120 mph on a damn gixxer. And then they buy a damn S1000RR. And they hit 5 deer (so far). Then when you think they're finally settling down and they ride a big ADV bike but then they ride wheelies on that. So yeah, it's great.
                  2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                  82 gs1100L probably the next project
                  1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                  1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Your kid is your clone by the way.
                    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                    82 gs1100L probably the next project
                    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

A 19 year old kid on that old Norton is way cool. Only thing that would be cooler is if he built it himself.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Here in CA you can do the driving test either in a course or at the DMV. Companies rent out scooters for the DMV test. I guess people are worried about dropping their own bike on the test, which is very low speed and you do the test without having ridden the course before. I remember never getting any training until after my license and not knowing about rear brake drag for low-speed stability. My test (in Texas) was with a police car following me through town, so it was also good training... My son said that many of his classmates in the course had been riding around on the street for quite a while unlicensed.
                        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Good for him! I dissuaded my son from bikes at the early age as well. He hasn't shown any interest as he's knee deep in off road trucks and modified cars but I'd feel okay with him getting his bike license now. At 16 you always worry about a quick extra boost of uneducated bravery combined with a lack of skill. Things have changed for the better, I remember getting my license at 16 on my new GT250. I hopp photo 2.jpg ed on that thing at the Zuke dealership and somehow made it to the gravel fairground parking lot where I got a feel for it. Somehow I'm still alive, some skill, more luck I think.
                          1986 1150EF
                          2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Originally posted by Big Block View Post
                            Good for him! I dissuaded my son from bikes at the early age as well. He hasn't shown any interest as he's knee deep in off road trucks and modified cars but I'd feel okay with him getting his bike license now. At 16 you always worry about a quick extra boost of uneducated bravery combined with a lack of skill. Things have changed for the better, I remember getting my license at 16 on my new GT250. I hopp photo 2.jpg ed on that thing at the Zuke dealership and somehow made it to the gravel fairground parking lot where I got a feel for it. Somehow I'm still alive, some skill, more luck I think.
                            Great photo! Where was it?
                            No signature

Comment

I didn't get my motorcycle endorsement till I was in my 20's.
                              Then I got pulled over for one reason or another. The cop gave me a ticket, I had to go to court.
                              No big deal. I'll plead no contest, pay a fine and I'll be on my way... NOPE the lady judge had something different in mind.
                              She told me, "Driving without a license is a first degree misdemeanor, with up to 6 months in jail and a $1000 fine! I'd advise you to get a attorney"!

Wait what? I never had to hire a attorney before. So, for $500 I hired a attorney.
                              He told me, get your endorsement and I'll see you on your court date. He was late and I was nervous! Finally he met with the judge. My attorney came out and told me, "all that you have to say is thank you your honor" I got no fine no court cost.
                              Looking back, I think the judge was just teaching me a lesson on how the court system works...
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                              X