No announcement yet.

Pic of the week game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To add... picking a favorite photo to me is like picking a favorite motorcycle, song, etc.
    i may be tempted to break one of my self imposed rules in a this game, which is to not re use pictures that I’ve used in the game already...
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I've tried for years to catch a picture like this. Finally nailing it makes it one of my favorites, if not the favorite in my collection. About five seconds after that bolt of lightning, a crazy strong gust of wind blew my bike over. As I picked the bike up it started raining. The carbs were flooded from laying down and it took a while to get going. No harm done to the bike, just minor scratches. The windjammmer is crazy tough! Too bad the bags were off at that time. They would have kept the right exhaust from being scratched.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Very cool pic, probably worth a scratched exhaust.
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

So many reasons why this is a favorite pic

As many know a few years ago a friend and fellow member here crashed my beloved 83 gs1100e...My dad had just painted it the year before...it was a right of...the friend did the right thing and paid me for the bike...to lick my wounds and clear my head I decided to ride my BMW to Las Vegas for my Wife's brother's wedding...I mentioned all this on a BMW forum I'm on and a member there said...."Do you want my 1980 GS 1000 ? I think it's a WesCooley replica in need of restoring".
          So based on the pics...I bought the bike and had it shipped over 2000kms from Colorado to BC
          I did a light restoration and the following year rode it to California to enter it into The Quail Motorcycle Gathering in Monterey where it won Cycle World Magazine's "Best of Tour" award.
          If this wasn't all enough I became friends with the "real Wes Cooley on facebook...he told me he was looking to get around the motorcycle scene again...I emailed Freddie Spencer and to my surprise he emailed me back with contact info for his agent for me to share with Wes.
          I asked Wes if he would like to be the guest of honour at my friends "Vintage in the Valley show...and he said yes...so he and his partner Melody stayed with us at our house in Victoria...I'll never forget the feeling of knowing my motorcycle racing hero was sleeping in our guest room next to me and my wife...lol
          Anyway I threw a garage party for Wes and some close friends...this pic was taken just after Wes had signed the tank of my bike in my garage. Sometimes they say it may not good to meet your hero's ...well Wes could not have been a more humble man...there are so many great stories of that 4 fays I spent with him and Melody....the best part was sharing the experience with my friends. The t-shirts we are wearing, I had them made up to raise some money for Wes...sold them literally all over the world.

So sorry for the long story...but I had to tell you why...

No signature

Comment

So this is one of my top five for sure, and maybe even my number one. Everything about this photo works for me.
            Oct 2013, I was heading home from a Wisconsin rally a couple days early, because my wife's care broke down.
            When I saw the view of the Driftless area to my left, I pulled over in someone's driveway and took several pictures.
            The R1100S is an absolutely beautiful bike, one of my favorites when it comes to looking cool.
            With the nice sky and view of the valley, with the yellow strip in the road, working with the yellow on the bike, I just think it is a great photo.

Of course, I may be biased, but a version of this picture is going on my office wall in an 11x17 print.

That was also the moment I decided, after just a few months of riding, she had to go.
            I disliked riding her and I hated working on her. Sold her in the spring to a guy that fell in love with her looks.
            Don't know if they're still together.

Last edited by Baatfam; 01-13-2019, 01:25 PM.
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

The images with 'reasons why' are a wonder to look at. I can begin to understand why every one of them is special. And not one of them stands out as best, all are evocative images and successful on their own. The 'reason why' is like a name is on an instrumental jazz composition or a title on an abstract painting. It is a suggestion to what the maker intended the piece to communicate.
              My pie delivery vehicle pic was a fortunate accident, realized after the fact, that allowed the 'reason' to neatly coincide with the structure of the image. That's not artistry, its serendipity. Still works though.
              1979 GS1000
              1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

This photo was taken leaving the first GS rally that I attended. It was a Western States rally and held in Shasta Ca., Sandy or Charlie G can tell you what year that was. It was a great time and the only rally that my wife has attended. We weren't leaving for home yet but going to head up 97 to Madras and lake Billy Chinook for another 3 days of camping. As you can see, the bike is a tad overloaded.

V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                  This photo was taken leaving the first GS rally that I attended. It was a Western States rally and held in Shasta Ca., Sandy or Charlie G can tell you what year that was. It was a great time and the only rally that my wife has attended. We weren't leaving for home yet but going to head up 97 to Madras and lake Billy Chinook for another 3 days of camping. As you can see, the bike is a tad overloaded.

V
                  August 31, 2009. I remember following you and Wanda to Madras, I think, before I headed east and home. That's my 1000 to the right. Good times buddy, I don't think we've missed a year since.
                  '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

This is probably my favorite.
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                    Originally posted by Hayabuser
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Well, this is my favorite shot. Because these are my first GS's. That '82 650 was so clean, and original...
                      '83 GS 1100T
                      The Jet

sigpic
                      '95 GSXR 750w
                      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

"Favorite" is going to mean different things to different people and for different reasons. I have several pictures that I really like, but could not decide which one. Mrs. Steve was asking about the current theme for the week and expressed her opinion on which would be hers. That helped me make up my mind.

The artistic composition is probably lacking. Color saturation is probably off. The picture was not taken for artistic intents and purposes, it was taken to celebrate the fact that this was the first time we were all together with our bikes.

10 years ago, at one of our trips to Elkins, WV, with our Goldwing group, we finally managed to get a family portrait.
                        From left to right: my older sister and her hubby, me and Mrs. Steve, my middle sister and her hubby, then baby sister and her hubby.

Between all of us, there are six children and/or step-children. Five of them also have bikes.
                        We have enough to start our own gang.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm going to post my favorite picture but I don't know if this will work because my bike isn't in the picture and you can only see part of Wingsconsin's Goldwing. So I am also going to post the rest of the picture taken after this.

This was Charmayne's first Brown County trip and I only caught this picture by luck when we stopped at the Overlook restaurant but it was fantastic timing and one I remember fondly.

Charmayne Eating Helmet by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Here is the full picture (my GS is at the far end next to the tree and slightly behind Mrs. Steve's)

Bikes at Overlook by Scott Baker, on Flickr
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                            So many reasons why this is a favorite pic

As many know a few years ago a friend and fellow member here crashed my beloved 83 gs1100e...My dad had just painted it the year before...it was a right of...the friend did the right thing and paid me for the bike...to lick my wounds and clear my head I decided to ride my BMW to Las Vegas for my Wife's brother's wedding...I mentioned all this on a BMW forum I'm on and a member there said...."Do you want my 1980 GS 1000 ? I think it's a WesCooley replica in need of restoring".
                            So based on the pics...I bought the bike and had it shipped over 2000kms from Colorado to BC
                            I did a light restoration and the following year rode it to California to enter it into The Quail Motorcycle Gathering in Monterey where it won Cycle World Magazine's "Best of Tour" award.
                            If this wasn't all enough I became friends with the "real Wes Cooley on facebook...he told me he was looking to get around the motorcycle scene again...I emailed Freddie Spencer and to my surprise he emailed me back with contact info for his agent for me to share with Wes.
                            I asked Wes if he would like to be the guest of honour at my friends "Vintage in the Valley show...and he said yes...so he and his partner Melody stayed with us at our house in Victoria...I'll never forget the feeling of knowing my motorcycle racing hero was sleeping in our guest room next to me and my wife...lol
                            Anyway I threw a garage party for Wes and some close friends...this pic was taken just after Wes had signed the tank of my bike in my garage. Sometimes they say it may not good to meet your hero's ...well Wes could not have been a more humble man...there are so many great stories of that 4 fays I spent with him and Melody....the best part was sharing the experience with my friends. The t-shirts we are wearing, I had them made up to raise some money for Wes...sold them literally all over the world.

So sorry for the long story...but I had to tell you why...

You guys really have to stop dressing the same. Jeez.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                              You guys really have to stop dressing the same. Jeez.
                              Lol...people kept saying how much we looked a like...
                              No signature

Comment

Like Steve said, I had a picture in mind when he mentioned the theme. Like his, it's hardly a glamour shot, but this was also documentation of a "family first". Although all four of us have been on bike trips before, this was the first time we were all on separate bikes.
                                We had just returned from an afternoon ride and decided to get the picture before other evening activities got underway.

Current ride: 1982 GS850L

Comment

Working...
                                X