No announcement yet.

Pic of the week game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This week my vote is Charlie G (if it was a Suzuki I would have liked it even more) 😇
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

I'm going to vote for LURCH this week... Definitely off the beaten path 👍
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Really a tough call, once again. But my vote goes for Charlie G. Just an overall pleasing picture.
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

This week I had 6 on my list to consider further , and had a hard time narrowing down to 3 or 4. ANd harder time down to 2 and then 1.

I don't want to say anything negative about Burque's Field of Radio Telescopes, that would be dis-array.

Was things I liked about Jedz, mostly that the lack of color was not at all a negative (no pun intended). Great picture of the bike and the stone wall.
          (my entire comment about Burques was for the purpose of the pun.)

Bob Baatfam is a great picture of curve and barn. Cowboy found an interesting scene of fields with some old implements (horse drawn?) too. Lurch is a nice scene too.

Mine is an interesting scene for the repeating theme of the rolls and showing how many there were. (Picture is small because is from my first digital camera, and is 640 pixel wide. Other choice was 1280 but that filled up the little memory card too fast Haa! )

But I kept coming back to Sandy, Charlie, & DB.
          Actually I liked Baatfam's, as a great photo, but it just wasnt about the field as much as it was the other things.

DB's flowered meadow is nice. And the picture shows he is one of these weirdos that takes his big bike off road, just to get a good picture. "oh, there is a nice scene, would be better pic if I could get bike in foreground, ew, I could go over there and then get down in there........"

Charlies open pastor with cows, and the great mountain in background is great, mostly for the mountain.

Sandy's rolling fields and then rolling hills (maybe those are fields also). I will have to choose Sandy's since it is the fields that are the main interesting element of the photo. The rolling fields, and each field a different shade of green and different texture. That, and the lack of distractions, all really held my interest.

Last edited by Redman; 05-04-2018, 09:14 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Overall, I liked Baatfam's the best, but I'm hopelessly affected by red 83 1100e bikes. Not much of a field though. It was between Sandy and Charlie for me, with Sandy getting my vote. The road in Charlie's pic distracted me a bit. If the bike was on the other side of the road it may have been different.....

As far as my pic, the angle of light putting the bike in shadow kills it a bit, but it wasn't a spot I could spend time in. it was a small battlefield memorial spot with a little trail and a no motor vehicles sign at the entrance.....
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I like Sandy's this week.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

It's Baatam for me this week.
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Sandy for me

V
                  Gustov
                  80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                  80 GS 550 L
                  86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

My vote is for Roger!

Comment

I'll go with Sandy as well for now.

One question though; is the goal to show off the picture subject or the picture taking abilities? It seems we have some very good photographers here as well as fantastic subjects
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        ........... ............. ....; is the goal to show off the picture subject or the picture taking abilities? .............................
                        That is a point of discussion that is not specifically addressed by the rules. ...

Say, this week, with the subject (subject? theme? topic?) of Field. Is the object of the game to find picture of the biggest field? The most impressive field? Or is the object of the game to have the most interesting picture that has anything of a field? Or is the object of the game is to have the most interesting composition of a picture that is a picture of an interesting field? The rules never specifically address that question/aspect. It seems that is left up to each individual voter.

It is a photo contest, not a tag game. In a tag game you just need a picture that documents bike and item/subject in same place at same time.

It seems to me that for the most part, most people are voting for the the most interesting composition of a picture that is a picture mostly about the subject-theme of the week.
                        But then again, have also gotten votes for picture that did not even meet the basic criteria of having their own bike (and not even any bike in the picture). Some folks have voted for the picture based mostly on the accompanying story, so their vote was not based on anything IN the picture.

In my opinion, if there are, say, 3 or so picture that like the most, then for a tie breaker, decide which best shows the subject matter for the week.

To discuss "picture taking abilities", I would say not so much the technical aspect of the camera (such requirement to make view-able image is reduced these days). But just basic composition to make the picture interesting, which is a big subject, and fairly subjective. So, yah, the ability to recognize an interesting scene and position the bike and compose things to make an intersting photo that shows the interesting scene.

One early afternoon; Two guys see, say, a small roadside water fall. One guys stops there, parks bike in shade of tree, walks around looking at the fall, then right before he gets back on the bike he grabs camera, stand right there and takes a shot of bike in shade with other cars and trash cans in the foreground, and a utility pole guy wire going across the bike, and can see the falls if look over all the cars, thru the guy wire, way in the back over there by the picknic paviion. So it is really a picture of bike in parking lot with other cars and other clutter/distractions and their is a picknic pavilion and a water fall somewhere there in the back ground, with power lines going across the falls. And the bike is in the shade, leant toward him and he is so close to the bike and standing over the bike and it is in the shade that the bike is not that interesting. Okay, that picture does document that bike and waterfall were somewhat next to each other, but really the picture is a picture of roadside park parking lot.
                        Other guy looks at the falls and thinks that a good picture of the falls could be made from the other side of the park where could have the lawn in the foreground and the trees in the background with a clear view of the falls taking up a large portion of the frame, .. and if park bike on this other corner of the parking lot can get the bike in the frame too. So he takes bike over to the other corner of the parking lot, and parks the bike leant away from where he will go stand and turns the bike so not making its own shadow. He starts to walk away, but notices that one of the post wil be right infront of the bike so he moves the bike to be between the post. And then he walks over to where he can get the grassy lawn in foreground. And he notices there is a trash can there in view, but if he moves over a few feet the view of the trash can is then obscured by the bike. Maybe he takes a couple shots, then thinks that the lawn is taking up about 1/3rd of the view, and the water fall is less of the view, so he kneels down to get a bit lower perspective and the lawn then takes up less of the view and the falls are then more of the view, and maybe can zoom in a little bit so the falls are even more of the frame. And that is then a picture of the waterfalls with the waterfalls prominent with minimum of distraction/clutter. Maybe he thinks that would be better picture in the late afternoon with the sun in a different direction. So maybe he is passing bye a few weeks later, as it is a favorite road to ride, is later in the afternoon, and he notices that are no cars in that corner of the parking lot, so he stops for another picture. And then he thinks this scene would make a good fall color scene, so he keeps that in mind for later in the year.

Short answer: The rules/instructions do not really say.
                        Short opinion of mine #1: Is a photo contest for the most interesting photo that best shows the subject-theme-object of the week.
                        Short opinion of mine #2: Each voter decides with their voting.
                        Last edited by Redman; 05-05-2018, 10:30 AM. Reason: 2 guys 1 watrerfall

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

11 votes distributed over 5 entries.

Trevors was mentioned.
                          1 vote for Baatfam along with many mentions. 1 vote for Lurch with some mentions.
                          2 votes for Roger Burque. 2 votes for Charlie and some mentions.
                          And 5 votes for Sandy's.

Sandy, Congrats.
                          What do you have for us next?

Last edited by Redman; 05-05-2018, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Current list of previous themes:

Date Theme By
                            1/21/2018 Low Light Burque73
                            1/27/2018 Interesting/peculiar roadside attraction dorkburger
                            2/3/2018 On the border Burque73
                            2/10/2018 Slightly less than perfect riding weather Mrs. Steve
                            2/18/2018 Bikes of GSR Rallys Jedz123
                            2/24/2018 Sports Burque73
                            3/3/2018 Playing with sunlight trevor
                            3/10/2018 Reflection Redman
                            3/17/2018 Motorcycle packed down storm 64
                            3/24/2018 Something twisty Sandy
                            3/31/2018 Water Steve
                            4/7/2018 On or near a bridge Baatfam
                            4/14/2018 Lonely road Redman
                            4/21/2018 What's up? Burque73
                            4/28/2018 Outstanding In a Field (or at least in view) Redman
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                              Current list of previous themes:..........

That's a really cool thing. Thanks for your effort in organizing these previous themes.
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A
                              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                                I'll go with Sandy as well for now.

One question though; is the goal to show off the picture subject or the picture taking abilities?
                                In short, Yes to both! LOL
                                Roger

Current rides
                                1983 GS 850G
                                2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Working...
                                X