Random Photo thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
    A funny thing happened to me today. I got a private message from Cowboy this morning. He was asking me about the waterfalls in the northeast Ohio area and if I had any recommendations... I told him "we don't have many waterfalls around here" being kind of puzzled? So, I thought I'd do a little research (Googling). It turns out that there are a bunch of them in the area! Heck there is one about a mile away from my home, I drive by it five times a week! Scott, or anyone, check out the website Northeast Ohio Family Fun.com / Best waterfalls in northeast Ohio. It gives maps, parking, how far to hike... It just goes to show sometimes you don't know what's in your own back yard.��
    Too funny. I've lived my area for over 40 years now. We're out and about the back country a lot and we're still finding stuff that's new to us. Just today I took my wife to a neat little falls that I visited for the first time about a month ago. It was only 2 km down a small dirt road and a 5 minute walk. It was a crappy rainy day so no pictures.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
      Took a couple goes, but finally got a few good ones. You will find the menu options for focus stacking in the GX85 a little vague. You set the step amount, (1-10), and the number of steps (1-999), and the order they are taken, 0/+ (front to back) and 0/+/- (center to front/back alternating). They don't tell how far the step amount is, and it varies by lens and aperture. Lots of experimenting. That one was about 50 photos, at a step amount of "3" with a 60mm 2.8 Olympus Macro at f/4.5.

I have two or three programs that can do a focus merge, but I have found Affinity Photo does an excellent job. If you don't know, Affinity is a low cost Photoshop...Also a RAW editor. https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tut...ideo/295557891

More info here...Free trial, and also on a 50% off sale right now, so $25 USD.
      The focus stacking is almost the same as it was on my Olympus and I prefer the 0/+ (front to back), makes it less confusing when scrolling through them. Yeah, trying to figure the focus slice size is truly a dark art. Too many variables at play. All I know is 1 is a skinny slice and 10 is a thick slice, if in doubt use many and delete or just don't use the ones you don't want. Thanks for mentioning Affinity. I somehow overlooked that one a few months ago on my quest to ditch Photoshop and Lightroom. I love both programs but am growing very tired of the monthly hit on my Visa. Tried a few alternatives but nothing really did the trick for me. I've heard good things about Affinity from other sources as well so I guess I'll have to try it, not like my calendar is really full right now due to Covid. LOL.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
        Thanks for mentioning Affinity. I somehow overlooked that one a few months ago on my quest to ditch Photoshop and Lightroom. I love both programs but am growing very tired of the monthly hit on my Visa. Tried a few alternatives but nothing really did the trick for me. I've heard good things about Affinity from other sources as well so I guess I'll have to try it, not like my calendar is really full right now due to Covid. LOL.
        I have been looking for a Lightroom replacement since Adobe went subscription. Still using my old, stand alone, version 6 LR for most things.
        On1 is pretty good, but still buggy for me, although the 2020 version is much better.
        Exposure X5 is closest to LR that I have found, and will probably be my choice long term.
        But Lightroom still has the best DAM, and after all these years, I know how to use it.

As for Affinity Photo, I am no Photoshop expert, but it seems to be a worthy replacement. Especially for $25 USD.
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

By the way, I bought my Lightroom subscription and paid one price for the entire year when I did so; and yes this was just three or four weeks ago now. You really have to read the information once you go to the purchase page to find the option. I won’t have to pay again until next year
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I have been looking for a Lightroom replacement since Adobe went subscription. Still using my old, stand alone, version 6 LR for most things.
            On1 is pretty good, but still buggy for me, although the 2020 version is much better.
            Exposure X5 is closest to LR that I have found, and will probably be my choice long term.
            But Lightroom still has the best DAM, and after all these years, I know how to use it.

As for Affinity Photo, I am no Photoshop expert, but it seems to be a worthy replacement. Especially for $25 USD.
            Screw it. LOL. I guess I'm done fiddle farting and wasting time trying to find an alternative. Like you I've been using LR a long time, since version 3 and 4, and probably should have just bought the standalone 6 when it was still available ..but I didn't. Probably 90% of what I do is in LR and only flip to PS when I need to use layers and masks. I do like and heavily use the DAM part of LR and have become pretty proficient with most editing features. So really I guess I was looking for a program to replace LR. Most don't import all the adjustments and keyword data properly or completely even though I've change the settings to separate out the XML sidecar file. The Scottish in me will just have to suck it up and ignore the entry in my Visa bill. Not like it's a lot of money compared to what I spend on other useless crap I don't really need and seem to have no problem ignoring. LOL. Cowboy, thanks for yearly payment suggestion and if it would save anything I would but it looks like it's just the monthly payment x 12.

Comment

Trillium has opened some.
              P1070536 by Dave Redman, on Flickr

Lilacs dont look like lilacs at present
              P1070542 by Dave Redman, on Flickr
              (Humm, wonder if that is freeze damage. Shows my ignorance.)

And these little things in the yard, required the 16mm extension

Someone else might say they require some weed-n-feed.

P1070604 by Dave Redman, on Flickr

Okay, maybe I can leave it alone for a while. Have other things to be doing.
              Last edited by Redman; 04-28-2020, 08:14 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                Okay, maybe I can leave it alone for a while. Have other things to be doing.
                No you don't! Just keep doing what you are doing....Loving it!

Comment

Trilium? wasn't that something on Star Trek?

Comment

Originally posted by B.C.G.S. View Post
                    Trilium? wasn't that something on Star Trek?
                    huh?
                    Well, I guess so.
                    (but not the 1960s TV series, why I didnt recognise)

Trillium was a substance that was regularly being traded in the 23rd and 24th century. In 2267, Spock posed as a trader of kevas and trillium while on Organia. (TOS: "Errand of Mercy") Later, in 2373, Arne Darvin made the same claim while aboard the USS Defiant. (DS9: "Trials and Tribble-ations") Trillium at Memory Beta, the wiki for licensed Star Trek works

//////////////quote
                    Trillium is a substance (probably mineral) that is regularly being traded in the 23rd and 24th century.
                    In 2267, Spock posed as a trader of kevas and trillium while on Organia. (TOS: "Errand of Mercy")
                    Later, in 2373, Arne Darvin made the same claim while aboard the USS Defiant. (DS9: "Trials and Tribble-ations")
                    In the novelization of "Errand of Mercy" in Star Trek 2,
                    /////////////endquote

Wow.
                    So, Just how much of a fan do you have to be to have know that?

In current day, current planet, it is a wildflower that is kinda fragile and is dissappearing. If deer eat the flower (or someone picks it) it is likely not to flower the next year nor propagate. Use to be quite common along inner-dune woods areas or nearby woodlands.

Okay, back to normal conversations.
                    Do you Want to know ALL the differences between 1100G and 1100GK....?

Last edited by Redman; 04-29-2020, 01:34 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Google tells me we have many different varieties of Trillium in East TN. Going to keep a lookout.

Yesterday afternoon....front steps.

Snail on the Steps by R John Thieda, on Flickr

Snail on the Steps by R John Thieda, on Flickr

Comment

Got for a biKe yesterday and found, guess what, Crocuses. Ok no more Crocus shot from me. LOL.

Bike - Crocus by soates50, on Flickr

Comment

I like this Krokus better. lol

Music video by Krokus performing Screaming in the Night. (C) 1983 Arista Records LLChttp://vevo.ly/Zb4DWk

Comment

Grabbed a Canon FD 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 Macro this morning as the sun came up.
                            Not a particularly sharp lens, but I love the colors it gave me.

Early Morning by R John Thieda, on Flickr

Comment

. . .
                              Yesterday afternoon....front steps........r
                              Good action shots har har

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                              Got for a biKe yesterday and found, guess what, Crocuses. Ok no more Crocus shot from me. LOL.
                              I imagine you can come up with more shots. And will be impressive.

Grabbed a Canon FD 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 Macro this morning as the sun came up.
                              Not a particularly sharp lens, but I love the colors it gave me.
                              Certainly are impressive color, some subtle, some dramatic.

Okay, Okay...... I need a real macro lens.

Just found and ordered a FD 50mm/3.5 macro. (already have the adapter).

(Also found a 35-200 macro zoom for real cheap, was listed as a 62mm lens by some estate sale place (62mm is diameter).

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                                Just found and ordered a FD 50mm/3.5 macro. (already have the adapter).
                                Just for you Dave, I went out this morning with my FD 50mm f/3.5 macro....Did fairly well...most at f/5.6

Morning Flowers by R John Thieda, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X