No announcement yet.

Random Photo thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glen, I figured you used the adapted lens when I saw your photos on Flickr. I am actually starting to use the old ones more often. I find manual focus much more useful for the close up stuff.

Moon tip. To shoot the moon, expose as if it was daylight, (which it is, on the moon).
    You will need at least f/8 or f/11, and a quick shutter, to expose the moon correctly.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Thanks for the tip. The moon in my pics always seems to be an unfocused overexposed blob. But I've typically tried to expose for the overall scene leaving the moon to suffer. Yet another reason for editing software.
      I've noticed that when using the focus aid on the manual lens the blue indicators barely show up when the aperture is wide open and show up much more as the lens is closed and DOF increases. It makes it a bit tough at night without my glasses.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I know nothing about photography but the Moon, although appearing white, is actually the colour of tarmacadam in full sun.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          Thanks for the tip. The moon in my pics always seems to be an unfocused overexposed blob. But I've typically tried to expose for the overall scene leaving the moon to suffer. Yet another reason for editing software.
          I've noticed that when using the focus aid on the manual lens the blue indicators barely show up when the aperture is wide open and show up much more as the lens is closed and DOF increases. It makes it a bit tough at night without my glasses.
          Yes, if you expose for the moon correctly, the rest may be fairly dark.
          But you are correct that development software can pull up the shadows.
          You may not need to, though, if it is the dusk you normally shoot at.

This is where the "Sunny Sixteen Rule" comes into play. (forgive me if you know this)
          Full sunlight = f/16 with the shutter speed the inverse of your ISO. So for full sun - ISO 100 = 1/100 sec, @ f/16, ISO 200 = 1/200 @ f/16
          Of course partly sunny would f/11, and cloudy f/8.

That is how I set my Dad's old Voigtlander, which doesn't have a light meter.

Comment

I either didn't know or fogot all the rules of thumb. Years ago I saw a Dick Dale concert l. He emphatically stated that he was NOT a musician, but a manipulator of instruments. I sometimes feel that way about my camera work.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Four plus inches of rain in a couple of hours and you get this.

IMG_5203 by Scott Marvin, on Flickr

IMG_5205 by Scott Marvin, on Flickr
              sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Went to the Miamisburg Mound tonight with hopes of catching a glimpse of the Comet Neowise but couldn't stay long enough and will have to try again throughout the next month. Did get this though

Sunset 12 Jul 2020 by Scott Baker, on Flickr
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Dang, that is a cool painted sky.
                  sigpic

Glen
                  -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Fantastic picture, Scott.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thank you. It was a little tough to get that though as I had to zoom out far enough it would clear a couple of people sitting directly opposite of me. The top of the mound is approximately a ten foot circle with benches at the edge. I’m assuming every bench was full last night because it’s the first night you can see the comet after sunset.

I’m going back over there tonight and staying later; maybe I’ll get lucky and see it
                      Last edited by cowboyup3371; 07-13-2020, 06:51 AM.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Beautiful colors, Scott!

Nothing beautiful from me today...I did get my cancelled "Miatas at the Gap XXIV" t-shirt today...LOL...

Comment

From our garden today. I was just playing with an old Nikon 28 - 80 zoom set f/5.6 and ISO of 200. It was a full zoom at about 6 feet away with about a post crop of 30%. Results were pleasantly surprising for a zoom lens.

P1000974 by soates50, on Flickr
                          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Wasp on water taking a drink....

Wasp on Water by R John Thieda, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                                Wasp on water taking a drink....
                                Thats Nat Geo quality Bob ! The shadow on the bottom and the reflection on the surface. Cool !
                                Last edited by bonanzadave; 07-15-2020, 09:48 PM.
                                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                                X