Modifying Any Motorcycle Illegal.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modifying Any Motorcycle Illegal.....

This is going to upset many people and be a prickly thing to implement....

The government is threatening to make modifying any mot... | Visordown
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

My God, that was hard to read. Not for the subject matter, but the fact that there were a few lines of text, followed by a page of picture ads, a few more lines of text, more picture ads, etc., etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
      This is going to upset many people and be a prickly thing to implement....

The government is threatening to make modifying any mot... | Visordown
      Terms of my bike insurance even in the 80s were no performance mods period.
      Hyperbole worthy of the daily mail.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

They've tried that numerous times before and it never got through.
        Nothing to worry about.
        If it ever did happen they could only apply it to new bikes at the time the legislation came in and not retrospectively to the hundreds of thousands of machines that are already modified.
        The result would probably be a down turn in sales of new machines which the major manufactureres won't like and an increase in desirability and value of the the older stuff which suits me fine as i have a shed full of them..
        Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
        VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Not a particularly well written article but maybe it got edited badly.
          He can't be serious saying he has an absolute right to do whatever he wants with his own property.
          Perhaps if he keeps it in a shed but once you are on the public road you cannot claim the right to do as you please.
          Motorcycles case is badly served by flag waving atop the barricades.
          I don't accept that the reason to stop modifying bikes because a google cam won't recognise a cafe project over it's stock parent. Nonsense.
          In fact I would take my chances with the cameras in a self drive over the so called 'attention' span of texting cagers any day of the week.
          Last edited by Brendan W; 10-21-2021, 05:12 AM.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
            Not a particularly well written article but maybe it got edited badly.
            He can't be serious saying he has an absolute right to do whatever he wants with his own property.
            Perhaps if he keeps it in a shed but once you are on the public road you cannot claim the right to do as you please.
            Motorcycles case is badly served by flag waving atop the barricades.
            I don't accept that the reason to stop modifying bikes because a google cam won't recognise a cafe project over it's stock parent. Nonsense.
            In fact I would take my chances with the cameras in a self drive over the so called 'attention' span of texting cagers any day of the week.
            Bravo! Well said indeed.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

I think the whole point of the intended legislation is not us aging gear heads riding dinosaurs although we think we're massive in numbers we're but a small part of motorcycle world. This will be directed at newer bikes that are being built with ever tighter emission standards, those new bikes are already very fast and don't need any tinkering and modifying to go faster. Laws like this already exist for cars where removal of mandated emission devices is prohibited. So leave the engines alone and modify everything else, no problem a brand new Hayabusa from the factory is better than 99.999% of us can produce and there's no need to mess with it's emission levels. The only thing that that's inescapable will be potential city bans of ICEs in their core, Paris already began banning older motorcycles with high emissions several years back.

Tinker away on your dinosaurs that were built before emission standards were introduced we don't matter as we'll age out of the market as will our bikes. When EV bikes take over in 10-14 yrs then start modifying your EVs because as there are no emissions and it just won't matter.
              1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Still, you'd think the Powers-That-Be would have bigger fish to fry. ...as though motorcycles were 'the problem" or even a significant piece of it. Quite the opposite, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  Still, you'd think the Powers-That-Be would have bigger fish to fry. ...as though motorcycles were 'the problem" or even a significant piece of it. Quite the opposite, IMO.
                  Honda alone sells 20 million motorcycles per year, VW the largest car manufacture sells 9 million cars per year, many of those motorcycles have engines the equivalent cc displacement of a car. So all those motorcycles are significant emission producers. Then add in all the other motorcycle producers plus all their other small engine products, boat engines, atvs, generators and they're very much part of the problem.

Emissions are cumulative permitting an exemption for one part of the ICE market causes push back in the other segments. I'm sure the corporate CEOs of VW, Ford and GM wouldn't appreciate Honda getting emission exemptions for it's 20 million per year motorcycles.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                    Tinker away on your dinosaurs that were built before emission standards were introduced we don't matter as we'll age out of the market as will our bikes. When EV bikes take over in 10-14 yrs then start modifying your EVs because as there are no emissions and it just won't matter.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Virtue signalling is all the rage. The elected ones are desperate for news releases showing they are "on it", but will not tackle the retirees driving to the mall in pickups as big as tractors. Since all my old carburretted bikes get 40-50 mpg, and I do my driving on them while the car-thing languishes in the shed, I will resent and resist being targetted as a criminal while the big fish go free. Add to that, the CO2 created by the manufacture and transport of all this "wonderfulness" is a better more fruitful target, IMO.

Honda alone sells 20 million motorcycles per year, VW the largest car manufacture sells 9 million cars per year, many of those motorcycles have engines the equivalent cc displacement of a car.
                      Um, I'd question that.^^ I think mostly smaller bikes, though I'll admit that affluence encourages excess in all things.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                        Virtue signalling is all the rage. The elected ones are desperate for news releases showing they are "on it", but will not tackle the retirees driving to the mall in pickups as big as tractors. Since all my old carburretted bikes get 40-50 mpg, and I do my driving on them while the car-thing languishes in the shed, I will resent and resist being targetted as a criminal while the big fish go free. Add to that, the CO2 created by the manufacture and transport of all this "wonderfulness" is a better more fruitful target, IMO.

Um, I'd question that.^^ I think mostly smaller bikes, though I'll admit that affluence encourages excess in all things.
                        Hey I'm a retiree with a giant pickup that rarely leaves the driveway. If covid hadn't taken my part time job I'd have an EV but life throws curve balls. I take my GS or CBX when the weather is good, the civic or minivan depending on which one the mrs and my son need for the day.

Honda sales real, sales took a dive in 2020 due to covid and supply chain issues which has affected supply of everything.

Comment

hey, I'll borrow your pickup when I buy another old bike!
                          ...I was looking at sales too. Nobody wants to be in a bus or subway car much if they can help it so if the factories can deliver, it's got to be good times for motorbikes,EV bicycles and scooters too.

Looking "facts" up is hard. The Eurocrats in their EV Limos can poopoo the proles on their Vespas and the USA is poisoned with Harleys but this (link) opinion still stings.

Motorcycles and emissions: The surprising facts - Los Angeles Times

Comment

all this stuff about emissions wouldnt bother me so much if the big businesses themselves also did something.

any industrial plant has a cap of howmuch emissions they can put out, if they dont reach that cap they are able to sell off the "unused" emission to another plant, meaning nothing is really being done for these plants to cut down on their own emissions.

this electrical vehicle crap is a scam, ever see how big a lithium ion mine is? howmuch emissions and use of materials do they use for each production of an electric car? just because it looks green upfront doesnt mean its the same behind the scenes, i think emissions would be cut by a great amount if the production of cars was decreased by a massive amount and the repairing of vehicles already made went up, but that wouldnt make companies nearly as much money so unfortunately it wouldnt be done.

i love this earth but us as a whole driving cars that produce less and less emissions isnt going to change the amount of emissions produced to make these cars, theres a new goal every few years but these are percentiles that we are cutting, its not that much better.
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                              all this stuff about emissions wouldnt bother me so much if the big businesses themselves also did something.

any industrial plant has a cap of howmuch emissions they can put out, if they dont reach that cap they are able to sell off the "unused" emission to another plant, meaning nothing is really being done for these plants to cut down on their own emissions.

this electrical vehicle crap is a scam, ever see how big a lithium ion mine is? howmuch emissions and use of materials do they use for each production of an electric car? just because it looks green upfront doesnt mean its the same behind the scenes, i think emissions would be cut by a great amount if the production of cars was decreased by a massive amount and the repairing of vehicles already made went up, but that wouldnt make companies nearly as much money so unfortunately it wouldnt be done.

i love this earth but us as a whole driving cars that produce less and less emissions isnt going to change the amount of emissions produced to make these cars, theres a new goal every few years but these are percentiles that we are cutting, its not that much better.
                              It really makes you think
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                              X