My kid bought his first car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My kid bought his first car.

My 16 year old, Noah, is about to take his drivers test this coming Saturday, the soonest we could schedule it after he becomes eligible this week. PA’ s law is that new drivers have to drive with a permit for 6 months with a licensed adult (me). Through no prompting from my myself or my wife, he started working part time at Wendy’s at 15, then at 16 went to Walmart. The pay is pretty good for a kid his age. He’s been hell bent on buying a car since he started working. He does well in school, keeps his grades up, plays in the band, sings in the choir, decent lacrosse player. On his way to being an Eagle Scout. Has a super pretty and lovely cheerleader girlfriend. Just an all around good kid. He makes us very proud.

A colleague of my wife was looking to upgrade to a larger car and sell this 2011 Toyota Prius. 97,000 miles, well maintained. It got the woman back and forth to college and beyond. We agreed it would be an excellent first car for a new driver. Figured out of all the possible choices, this one is the least likely to get him into trouble.

I drove the car home from the notary last night, and while the headlights aren’t horrible, the LEDs in my MINI and my wife’s Subaru have me spoiled. Looking at them today, they’re not the haziest I’ve ever seen, but they’re not great. I’ve seen lens refinishing kits and I’ve watched some videos. I’m led to believe that refinishing plastic headlamp lenses is a lot of work to get right. Does anyone here have experience doing this? I’m pretty handy, don’t own a buffer, but do have an orbital sander. Or, I can get a new pair of headlamp housings at Rockauto for $211.00

I took the Prius for a longer drive today. It had more guts than I thought it would, honestly. But I had a 3 hour round trip to make today on my day off. Decided to take the MINI, instead. It may get half the gas mileage of the Prius, but it’s at least twice as fun to drive. It’s been said that MINIs handle like a go art. Don’t know about that. But if it’s true, then the Prius handles like a shopping cart. A good shopping cart though, maybe like the ones at Target.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 12-14-2021, 07:48 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Congrats to your Son for both his work ethic and desire to have his own means of transportation. I am amazed by the number of kids around here who have no desire to learn how to drive. The 18 year two doors down works as an overnight stocker at Wal Mart. His Mother takes him in every night and picks him up every morning. It appears he sleeps and plays online games the rest of the time.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Glad to hear you be so complementary of your son.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I have 2 sons. I love them equally and I’m very proud of both. Their outlooks on life are 180 degrees. Max is no less dedicate to his study of all things music related. But I honestly don’t see him ever owning a car nor property. And there’s nothing wrong with that.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I just did the headlights on my 2013 Tacoma, no big deal & great results. I already had one of the headlight restore kits from a few yrs. ago, though without the little sandpaper pads that got used up back then. This time I just used the little foam ball from the old kit, in my batt. powered drill, with the plastic restorer cream on it & maybe 10 min. & the lights looked new again. Much quicker & easier than when I originally used all the sandpaper & steps on the instructions, but seems like just as good of results. I've been told to paint with clear paint to make them last longer, but as quick & easy as this was, I'll just plan on hitting them a lick again every yr. or so.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Great job Rich! You raised a fine young man there. A car like that is a great first vehicle!

I gave my son my old Nissan Sentra when he graduated high school. A month back, after graduating college and working a while, he bought himself a brand new Subaru BRZ! As I type this we're awaiting on someone to come buy the Sentra! It's a revolving cycle! As parents we are the gutter bumpers hoping they roll straight! It seems your son is off to a good start towards adulthood.

Edit: sorry for the thread drift but my old Sentra is famous in the GS community. Here is a photo from 2008 showing how it can be used to help change a tire...

Last edited by Nessism; 12-14-2021, 09:12 PM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Tooth paste the old type normal white paste as a rubbing polish works wonders on headlight plasticks
              1978GS1000E
              GSX600R K1

Comment

I'd just replace the headlight lenses. And with Christmas just around the corner, what a perfect stocking stuffer. 👍
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Congrats to you and your son! I am with Norm, just replace them......nice, clear headlights are a must for a new driver.

Comment

1500 or 2000 grit Wet n dry & some clearcoat works fine.... Just dust the clearcoat on. Repeat as necessary when necessary....
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      Tooth paste the old type normal white paste as a rubbing polish works wonders on headlight plasticks
                      Agree with that. Worked on mine.

If all else fails, e-bay often has them. Right now there is a used one for $38.
                      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

He passed!

Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Congrats, looks like ya'll are doing pretty good. Great age for a taste of the real world & life's decisions. "Let him decide" if he needs a new set of lights for $150+, used ones for $80, headlight restore kit $16.95, or a tube of tooth paste for $2.00. It may be interesting.
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yeah, we’re going to work on stuff together. First I’m going to show him how to clean up the corrosion on the negative battery terminal. He bought a backup camera. We’ll install that together week after Christmas when I have off work.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                              Congrats, looks like ya'll are doing pretty good. Great age for a taste of the real world & life's decisions. "Let him decide" if he needs a new set of lights for $150+, used ones for $80, headlight restore kit $16.95, or a tube of tooth paste for $2.00. It may be interesting.
                              Can I split the difference and use polishing compound that costs $10 instead of toothpaste? Worked well on one of our old car headlamps anyway.

Congrats on passing the driving test. The REAL test starts now though; making sure he doesn't get into any fender-benders for the first year of driving.

And please test him by asking him to research the best oil and filter to use! (cruel evil test of the left side of his brain!)
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X