Not a GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    I think there were two. Anybody know where they are today? (I assume one is in Trevor's garage .)
    Lol
    there are 10 from what I heard. The one in my pic is in a museum in California
    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
      Lol
      there are 10 from what I heard. The one in my pic is in a museum in California
      https://www.motosolvang.com/
      Ten? Did someone takeover after he died and build more?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Nope he built them
        No signature

Comment

As I recall all 10 were built by John, or under his supervision, before he passed away. Here is the register of where they all are. Even though they are shown owned by a private person I believe that most are now in museums. 1 still belongs to his family (Britten Motorcycle Company) and is loaned out to museums and for display at events. I have seen it at classic bike races on several occasions.

John was in the process of trying to set up production towards the end of his life and I think his estate/family tried to get it off the ground after his death but just couldn't manage. The guy was a genius and a visionary and a really sad loss to the world. The bike ticks both boxes of form and function and was notable in its day for both its performance and stunning/radical appearance. If it isn't already obvious I could go on all day about Britten - as an engineer, a motorcyclist and a kiwi, he is the closest thing I have to a hero.
          FB_IMG_1642801558150.jpg
          Bill Alexander
          New Zealand
          78 GS1000 - Red
          02 GSX1400 - Blue

Its is all about the journey not the destination

Comment

Working...
          X