Did you ever get an urge just to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSJim View Post
    Sounds like my place. My wife wants me to renovate the basement but there is too much stuff to renovate around. I don't have a grand piano down there like Cipher, but I have a Hammond organ in pieces (hums, needs caps), bass and amp, several guitars, a trumpet, French horn, whistles, chanters and way too many books. Does anyone else have Encyclopedia Brittanica? A full set was left here by my brother. The tools are reasonably well organized but there is no room to spread out a project to work on it. That happens in the summer when I can use the garage. The garage is also too full because my wife doesn't want the trailer on the driveway during the winter and I'm storing stuff that belongs to my beer brewing club. It also doesn't help that I'm running our national office out of half of the rec room which was supposed to be renovated last year.

There are signs of future improvements. The oldest son bought a house so he's about to get all of his assorted crap that he left behind when he left home. I wasn't fast enough unloading his stuff when he rented his previous place. His wife's parents got there first with all of her stuff and there wasn't enough room for me to add a load. We won't be reopening our office for a while but I am visiting every week so I can move all the low priority stuff back to the office. I hate to recycle books but none of the used stores around here are accepting books at the moment.

I should also mention that I'm the family historian/genealogist, so every document or photo that no one else in the family wants is in my basement.

So much stuff.

Jim
    Well no one wants books 35 yrs or so ago the uni library would have a culling disguised as a book sale. The unsold got dumped. Sad as some of the material was bizarre like old engineering pocket guides in tiny tiny print. Foreign language items such as the proceedings of sub committees of various foreign governments.

I tried to burn a set of encyclopedias the slick clay coated paper just laughed. The rack however burned hotter and faster than any wood ive seen.
    as for the truly valuable family stuff get an old scanner and start digitizing. Then charge the fam for access.

My frinds mother and father died a couple of years apart and of course the mother would not part with the fathers things. So he got a house full of pain and guilt.
    I went and helped but had to tell him to make one sweep for objectively valuable stuff then get the hell out so I could lay waste.

No problem being harsh with other peoples memories just my own I guess.
    Akin to my disgust and horror at seeing my own blood where another persons barely registers.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
    X