So I got the shingles vaccinne today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redman View Post
    I had to get a reminder for the 2nd shot. Needs to be after 2 months and bfore 6 months.

Were covered entirely by my insurance, my copay was something like $28 for each of the two, otherwize was close to $200 each.

My uncle suffered from shingle for months, so that was my motivation.
    Yes shingles chickenpox makes a last stand. I had chickenpox thanks to exposure to it in a hous erun by hippe douches who didnt know what a quarantine warning sign was.
    I was desperately ill for wekks and sufferend long terms for months. I was an adult and apparently thats a bad time to get it.
    Thanks god for Halycyon and colloidal oatmeal plus my nurse cousins recipe for making oatmeal baths on the cheap.

I made the mistake of reading about it in the throes of suffering. Damn virus travels on the nervous system. When I read that I would have passed out if id not been lying down.
    They took 6-8 vials of blood for lab work either because they get paid for the vial and it was a slow day or because they were vampires.

SO hell yeah even paying full bore it has to be worth it. especially for old thin skin and weker immune systems.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

My Blue Cross Blue Shield covered it, and indeed they contacted encouraging me to have it. I had no copay. I got a flu shot same time same day opposite shoulder. Normally i don't do the flu shot unless coerced at work. I felt like crap for 3 or 4 days after the second Shingles shot. I have felt like crap for three or four days on numerous occasions in life without any shot, so I can't definitively state that the Shingles shot had anything to do with feeling crappy. My father had shingles, and was quite uncomfortable. One of my wife's acquaintances got them in his eyes and was blinded. He is no longer a chef.

Some Blue Cross PPO insurance covers it. I am 100% certain of that.

I had chickenpox as a kid. As far as I knew, everybody did. My daughter got chicken pox in the late 90s. We made sure she had all the vaccinations recommended by the pediatrician at the time, but it wasn't readily available in the USA until 1995 per Wikipedia. One might consider that the school system could have communicated its availability.

My own experience made me not too concerned about chicken pox when she did get it. Didn't know about the Shingles connection either.
      Last edited by 850 Combat; 03-02-2022, 04:24 PM.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
        My Blue Cross Blue Shield covered it, and indeed they contacted encouraging me to have it. I had no copay. I got a flu shot same time same day opposite shoulder. Normally i don't do the flu shot unless coerced at work. I felt like crap for 3 or 4 days after the second Shingles shot. I have felt like crap for three or four days on numerous occasions in life without any shot, so I can't definitively state that the Shingles shot had anything to do with feeling crappy. My father had shingles, and was quite uncomfortable. One of my wife's acquaintances got them in his eyes and was blinded. He is no longer a chef.

Some Blue Cross PPO insurance covers it. I am 100% certain of that.
        I feel like crap today short of breath and tired.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I had chickenpox as a kid as well. Back then, parents used to have chicken pox parties so their kids would get it, and not have to worry about catching it as an adult. Nobody knew about viral latency that long ago, so I can't blame them for thinking they were doing the right thing.

I've seen and known enough people who have suffered with shingles, and I do not want to be another.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I did the old Zostavax vaccine when I crossed age 65 and US Medicare plans covered it. Some years ago, non-Medicare plans in the US were pretty tight on adult immunizations. Anyhow, the Zostavax was eventually considered largely non effective and somewhat a hazard to some. It was dropped in the US in 2020. I got on a wait list at a pharmacy for the Shingrix about 4 years ago. It used to be in very short supply due to only one small pharmaceutical co. manufacturing it. I got the first shot after about a 6 mo. wait. That put me on a preferred list for the second, several months later. I do recall some serious arm soreness and slight fatigue after the shots, especially the second one. My wife, who is pre-Medicare got the 2 series of Shingrix shots recently. Essentially, no waiting period for the first. The non-Medicare plan she is on now covers them for those over something like 55.

The only person I have known that had Shingles was my father who got it when he was in his early 60's. I didn't want that! As a child I had the chicken pox and mumps back to back. Nearly died from high fever.
            1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Working...
            X