1979 xs11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 xs11

Picked this up a couple days ago--one-owner bike, garage kept its entire life. Been sitting for a couple years so needs some love to run, but I'm psyched to bring it back.

IMG_2501 by Forden Photography, on Flickr
    1978 GS 750 E
    1979 XS11 Standard
    1973 CB450
    1999 VFR800

Good looking project. Back in '79 that was on my radar but I just never pulled the trigger. Quite fast also. I had the 750 triple but at the time, could not afford to just jump from one bike to the next.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I had one almost identical to that one. LOVED that big ol' beast. Handled like a three legged buffalo in quicksand, but what a stonking motor. Always wanted an FJ1100 because of that same motor in a chassis that handled.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Looks like original tires. Low miles?

Looks like a great pickup. Looking forward to your review.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

42K miles, so it's been ridden a good bit. looks to have been very well cared for though--pulled the carbs last night and one float bowl, looked almost clean enough inside to eat out of... tank is free of rust and no leaks anywhere that I see. I'll check the valve clearances and change the fluids and see how/if it runs. has spark and compression, so good prospects.
          1978 GS 750 E
          1979 XS11 Standard
          1973 CB450
          1999 VFR800

Comment

Hey, a sought after vintage model.
            Quite a thing in the day.

Looks good.

A fiend of mine had one, when all I ever knew at the time was my kz400. He let me ride that "Excessive Eleven" (as he called it) .. oh, man, I was not at all prepaired for what happened.

That looks like fairly stand styling.
            Was there also a "Special" ? ?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

If you have never ridden an XS11, you are in for a surprise. They are the epitome of a phenomenon called "Shaft Jacking".
              As you apply throttle, the shaft seems to climb the ring gear in the final drive, which raises the rear of the bike. If you time it right, you can apply, then chop the throttle a couple of times and actually get the whole bike off the ground.

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              That looks like fairly stand styling.
              Was there also a "Special" ? ?
              Yes. The Yamaha "Special" was similar to Suzuki's "L" models, Honda's "Custom" and Kawasaki's "LTD".
              All were trying to cash in on the "Harleyesque" look. Some did it better than others, but none did it well.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Just make sure to tighten the engine to drive shaft bolts under the rubber boot. They work loose.
                NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

They even took the big Yammie racing.
                  Some fun footage of an early Superbike race from '78.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Heyes was still racing-and winning (in club level stuff in Australia) 20 years later.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
                      If you have never ridden an XS11, you are in for a surprise. They are the epitome of a phenomenon called "Shaft Jacking"..
                      Yes, I rode one (although a XS11 Special) back when my only riding expereince was my kz400.
                      I was not at all prepaired for the the bike lifting up . . . . .and the acceleration, my body/shoulders slammed back, that about rolled me off the back of the bike, fingers barley holding on, and then of course that effect then rolling on more throttle . . . . . .

A year or two later when looking for a new bike, I was liking the idea of shaft (or belt), but I recalled that shaft jacking of that XS11,
                      ....,. and a MotoCylist (Cycle?) magazine had artical comparing the various 650s (and 750?) and the artical praised the GS shaft design for not having the jacking effect . . . . . . . and a couple days later I went to the Suzuki dealer, and have had 650G-850G-1100GK ever since.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I've ridden shaft dr. bikes & found Yama. to be the worst, by far, for shaft jacking. I'm no engineer, but it seems they all are a driving gear from the trans. climbing the front of a driven gear on the hub, but Yammy did something different...Ya'll remember the "Midnight Specials"? Everything, & I mean everything was black except for "Gold" trim & badges.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Intro to Take it to the Limit. XS1100!

GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

What a weird video. I truly loved my XS11.

RIP Dave Emde. Gone too soon.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

My son has one in the final stages of restoration. Not completely stock, but who cares. It was his only bucket list bike since he started riding 20 years ago. The engine has been rebuilt completely. Those nice stock pipes would almost trade even across for a decent bike. Hard to find.

Comment

Working...
                              X