Just bought A Beemer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought A Beemer

I like older BMWs and have desired one for some time. Much as I could say that an R/80 GS would probably be my first choice, those bikes are inaccessible-both in supply and in cost.

So, when a low mileage '98 R1100R popped up at an opportune moment, I grabbed it.

Pictures at 11.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

I remember back when I started riding bikes, our local shop owner said, people that ride BMW's are different, nothing wrong with them, they just see things different than most other folks. I've watched since then & found he was correct, nothing wrong with them, but sure do see things different. Good luck & keep us updated.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      I remember back when I started riding bikes, our local shop owner said, people that ride BMW's are different, nothing wrong with them, they just see things different than most other folks. I've watched since then & found he was correct, nothing wrong with them, but sure do see things different. Good luck & keep us updated.
      I'm a bmw rider....I guess some would say I'm "different"....lol
      No signature

Comment

Hope nobody took my post as negative toward BMW riders. A prime example of what I meant, a high school buddy, back when we were wanting Chevelles, Camaros, & Mustangs, his dream car was a Subaru. Back then, that was different, nothing wrong with it, just different. He bought one & drove it over 400K. I lost touch with him for a few yrs., but now back acquainted & ride with him a couple of times a yr. on his BMW. Congrats to all who own them.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Should be a fun bike. I think some BMW's of that era had drivetrain issues. Hopefully, your bike isn't affected.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Should be a fun bike. I think some BMW's of that era had drivetrain issues. Hopefully, your bike isn't affected.
            Yes...Dave "Redman" had to deal with this. He probably has the details...
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I think I recall Dave's issue was spline failure? This one is in sweet shape, well-maintained, 15,000 miles on the clock. The chrome of the exhaust is blued (and yellowed), but the valves were just adjusted 50 miles ago, and it idles and runs very smoothly, so the F.I. system seems in order.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 08-11-2022, 03:38 PM.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                I think I recall Dave's issue was spline failure? This one is in sweet shape, well-maintained, 15,000 miles on the clock. The chrome of the exhaust is blued (and yellowed), but the valves were just adjusted 50 miles ago, and it idles and runs very smoothly, so the F.I. system seems in order.

I've seen many of those with the blueing of the pipes...no concern there...congrats Mason! Good score.
                No signature

Comment

Cheers, Trevor. I really like this bike.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing a few 'nudies' - do the bags come off easy?

Congratulations - many happy miles!
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Nice find Mason .... Have fun on it .....
                      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                      1983 GS 750

Comment

The bags come off with the turn of a key and the lifting of the carrying handle.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Very cool. We all need to have a beemer in our bike collection.

Just wondering, did the side to side shimmy freak you out a little the first time you started it?
                          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                          82 gs1100L probably the next project
                          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Please forgive me for being a threadjacker. That was not my intention, I just started typing without think
                            The only right to do is delete my post---so that is what I just did.

Sorry again.
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                              Very cool. We all need to have a beemer in our bike collection.

Just wondering, did the side to side shimmy freak you out a little the first time you started it?
                              Yeah, it sure did.
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                              X